The Medium is the original size of Cafe Bag, one of our most enduring designs. It is designed to help you carry and organize your everyday gear. Wear it cross-body or over the shoulder.
The main, open-top compartment and front, zippered pocket of the Medium Café Bag are covered by an asymmetrical flap that closes with our distinctive offset Duraflex® Warrior buckle. The zippered pocket, which has one O-ring, spans the width of the bag. It's ideal for securing your wallet, checkbook, or other small items. It closes with a #8 YKK zipper. The back of the Medium Café Bag has a slanted, open-top pocket. It's great for storing papers, files, a magazine, or a newspaper.
Inside the main compartment of the Medium Café Bag, you'll find four organizer pockets. Two of the pockets are sized for your cell phone/iPod or a small wallet, and two are sized for pens. The main compartment also has three O-rings, with an 8" Key Strap attached to one. (Additional and extended-length Black and Color Key Straps can be purchased separately.) The Key Strap is useful for keeping track of your keys (many folks leave their keys attached to the Key Strap).
The Medium Café Bag rides on your shoulder with a 1-1/2" shoulder strap made of high quality nylon webbing.
The Medium Café Bag can also be carried by a webbing handle that is on the top/back of the bag. Available as an optional accessory is a removable waist strap so you can wear the Medium Café Bag bike-messenger style.
Think the Medium Café Bag is too big? You're in luck! The Café Bag is also available in size Small. And if you're wondering which size is "the one", here's our guide to choosing the right size of Cafe Bag.
- Jaimie C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Made in USA, High Quality Finishings, Good Storage Size, Unique1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Made in USA, High Quality Finishings, Good Storage Size, UniqueRated 5 out of 5 starsUrban Sketchers Dream Bag
Wow! This is an absolute dream bag for all of my sketching gear. My sketchbook, iPad Pro and all of my pencils, pens, paint…..everything fits in this bag! I paired mine with the Freudian slip, clear pouch and a small cubelet. I feel so organized while I’m sketching
- SEAN B.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Good Storage Size, Compact, Versatile3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Good Storage Size, Compact, VersatileRated 4 out of 5 starsGreat bag, but the strap...
- Fits my 12.3" tablet, even with the cache. Its stored in "landscape" mode, which works out for me as I can open the cache and charge the tablet without having to fully remove it. Good for a more minimalist EDC.
- The interior "well" is wide enough (about 3") for a small water bottle or tumbler. Its hard to keep it upright because of the soft material, but depending on how you carry across your body, you can use the internal "eyes" to hook onto it somehow.
- Interior pockets are good size. Good to keep a charger, cable, a mouse, and maybe a snack.
- Exterior pockets can keep a steno-sized notebook, or a "large" Moleskine 8x5s.
- The strap. Its sewn onto the bag on one side and the the other side is looped through the buckle. In this configuration, you cannot extend or replace the strap without somehow cutting a stich somewhere. If there were strap "eyes" like the Maker's Bag where you could clip on a strap, it would be perfect.
- Kim L.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USARated 4 out of 5 starsClose to perfect
I love my new Cafe bag. It is perfect for my trip to the coffee shop. The reason it got 4 stars instead of 5 is I wish it had a zipper on the main pocket.
- John M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, High Quality Finishings, Compact1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, High Quality Finishings, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsLet's Get Small!
Years ago I had a Tom Bihn Ristretto for my original iPad. It was a brilliant bag for the time and I carried it for a couple years. It held up well and a friend is still using it many years later. I had gone to a large laptop and needed a backpack to carry it in for work, so got away from the minimalist EDC rig. Work has changed a bit and tech has improved and I can now sometimes travel without the backpack/laptop rig (20ish lbs.). I can make do with my 12.9" iPad Pro for short trips and light meetings. I had been looking for a small bag for a while and finally landed on the Tom Bihn Medium Cafe Bag. It's perfect for what I need. I also ordered a medium Freudian Slip. I have some stuff that I need to have with me all the time like my hotspot, notebook, etc.. When I was using the pack only, everything went in the pack. Now that I'm trying a multi bag strategy, I can keep a bunch of stuff that is essential in the Freudian Slip and easily move it from my pack to the Cafe bag.
While I loved my original Ristretto, I find the Medium Cafe bag to have a more modern aesthetic, sharper lines, lighter weight and enhanced utility. My 12.9 iPad is in a protective case that provides a little impact resistance as the Cafe bag has no padding, but I think that's a better option than the original Ristretto that had a built in padded section. I use it with the big iPad, but I'd imagine it would work well for a minimalist bag for a 13" Macbook as well.
- Brandon M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful Design11 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful DesignRated 5 out of 5 starsI love this bag!
I am in love with this bag. It’s made of high quality materials and is the perfect size for my EDC. I also love the color I chose, logic blue.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.