Designed to be compatible with our Brain Bag, Addax 26, and Addax 31 backpacks, the 1.5" Padded Hip Belt allows you to carry some of the weight of a loaded Brain Bag or Addax on your hips rather than just your shoulders.
Sold as a matching left and right pair, the pads attach via Gatekeeper clips to the 1-1/2″ / 38mm webbing loops which normally accept the simple webbing waist belt (the one that comes standard with the Brain Bag). Made of .375″ / 10mm EVA closed cell foam with a protective laminated cover of heavy duty polyester knit, the set of two pads joins front and center with a sturdy, dual adjust side release buckle. The pads are contoured and when attached to the Brain Bag, form a slight conical shape, encouraging the belt to ride on top of your hip bones.
The 1.5" Padded Hip Belt is available in one size that adjusts to fits hips measuring between 33″ / 84cm and 50″ / 125cm.
Good things to know: adding a Padded Hip Belt to your bag will help many folks carry heavier loads with more comfort, just like most things in life, it likely won’t make things better for everyone. Taller people (those 6’2″ and taller) in particular may find that the overall length of the Brain Bag does not predispose it to fully utilizing the weight carrying abilities of a padded belt. And though we want to go backpacking as much as you do, the Brain Bag is decisively not an internal frame backpacking pack, and adding the Padded Hip Belt will not turn it into one. (Note that people do use the Brain Bag as a day hiking pack.)
The 1.5" Padded Hip Belt is designed to be compatible only with TOM BIHN backpacks that have loops to attach a 1-1/2″ / 38mm webbing waist belt.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- Judy P.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable2 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily AdjustableRated 5 starsWow! Couldn’t be happier!!
I bought the padded hip belt to go with a different brand bag (eBag MotherLoad). I have many -Tom Bihn bags- but was traveling to Europe with an eBag. I really needed a hip belt. I actually went into the store to see what would work. Not only did I find AMAZING customer service- I found the perfect work around for my problem. Tom Bihn is the best- and the hip belt is very multi-functional!! I couldn’t be happier!!!
- Zachary V.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Easily Adjustable, High Quality Finishings3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Easily Adjustable, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 starsBest accessory for a packed Brain Bag
I've been traveling with my Brain Bag this summer, filling it to the brim with heavy stuff. The bigger belt helps transfer a lot of that weight to my hips, making it all much more manageable. I love the mechanism for swapping these with the stock straps.
- SONJA B.Verified BuyerBought For OtherProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Great Gift, Easily Adjustable2 months agoBought For OtherProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Great Gift, Easily AdjustableRated 5 starsBrain Bag Padded Hip Belt
It certainly makes the load to carry much more comfortable!
- Don H.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Durable1 month agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, DurableRated 5 starsMakes my Brain Bag complete.
No brain bag is complete without a hip belt! Everything you make is such high quality, good design, and indestructible.
- Teddy O.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Made in USA8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Made in USARated 3 starsNeeds more length
The belt needs more length.TBTOM BIHN8 months ago
Thanks for the feedback! I'll contact you via email and see what I can do to help. =)