Are you trying to avoid looking like a tourist on your trip?
We don't blame you — who doesn't want to fit in with the locals when they're in a city that's known for its fashion?
But if you want to capture the effortless elegance of Parisian fashion, you must be smart about what (and how much) you put on your packing list. Especially since you'll still need to pack all of your travel necessities. Bringing versatile fashion pieces makes it easy to mix and match, so you have access to more potential outfits. It also cuts down on how much you have to pack, giving you more room for souvenirs on the trip home.
1. Outfit Basics to Dress Like a Parisian
When packing for a trip to Paris, clothes are undoubtedly an essential part of the list. Whether you're looking to blend in with the locals at a cafe or make a statement when you visit the Eiffel Tower, what you choose to bring will set your look apart from other travelers. You'll want to organize your packing list around simple base components and statement layering pieces to achieve that Parisian style.
Opt for classic pieces like t-shirts and neutral colors that can easily transition from day to night. Investing in quality fabrics such as wool, cashmere, or silk is also a good idea so your outfit looks polished even after many wears throughout your trip. With these basics at hand, creating fashionable outfits will be effortless!
A few Paris fashion essentials you'll want to pack:
- Blue jeans: A classic pair of jeans with a slim cut help create a more modern and sophisticated look. You can pair them with t-shirts or sweaters for a casual ensemble and blazers and dress shirts for a more formal appearance.
- T-shirts and long-sleeve shirts: French fashion typically features solid-hued, quality T-shirts and long-sleeve shirts that Parisians dress up or down depending on the event.
- Skirts: Skirts are a timeless and versatile statement piece — but in typical French fashion, skirts are worn with a simple silk blouse and a pair of tights.
- Light jacket: A great way to embody the local style is layering with a statement piece like a leather jacket, which can add warmth and texture to any outfit. Plus, Paris experiences rain year-round, so bringing a rain jacket is always a good idea.
- Trench coat: A timeless staple of European style, the trench coat is a must-have because the local style is all about mixing classic pieces with modern silhouettes to create effortless yet stylish ensembles.
2. Stylish and Comfortable Footwear
With cobblestone streets being so typical throughout Europe, the shoes you bring will significantly impact how much sightseeing you can do on any international trip. It's important to pack comfortable and stylish footwear that can go from day to night. Not only do you want your feet to be well-supported while walking around the city, but you also want them to look chic!
Here are some tips on what pair of shoes will help make your French vacation fashionable yet practical:
- Comfortable walking shoes: A simple, white sneaker is a great go-to option that adds a stylish touch to any outfit while still being comfortable and practical for walking around Paris.
- Loafers: French men often opt for classy yet comfortable loafers with slim-cut jeans and a cardigan for a modern, sophisticated look.
- Ankle Boots: Ankle boots are a must-pack, especially in winter and fall when waterproof shoes are vital for staying dry and warm.
- Ballet Flats: French women often style ballet flats with skirts and tights, adding a timeless touch to any ensemble.
3. Accessories to Elevate Daily Looks
Regardless of the time of year you visit Paris, packing the right accessories can make all the difference in creating your perfect vacation look. From stylish scarves to protect yourself from the elements in cooler weather to sunglasses and sunscreen to keep you safe from the summer sun’s UV rays, these items will help ensure you look great while exploring this iconic city. Read on for a few essential accessories that should be on any Parisian fashionista's packing list!
- Scarves: A satin or silk scarf can serve as a statement piece in an outfit in the warm spring and summer months. And in the winter and fall, a thick wool scarf is a perfect layering piece to help you stay warm.
Sunglasses: The perfect accent piece for any trip to Paris, sunglasses elevate any outfit and protect from the often intense sunlight that can cause eye strain and damage to your vision.
- Hats: French fashionistas often accessorize their looks with a sun hat or beret, acting as statement pieces while offering protection from the sun or wind.
- Wristwatch: A watch is a great way to complete an outfit and help you stay on schedule throughout your trip.
4. Toiletries and Other Travel Essentials
When packing for an international trip, it's important to remember the basics of toiletry items and other travel essentials. While traveling abroad, TSA regulations limit what can go in your carry-on bag, so you'll want to plan accordingly when selecting which toiletries to pack. It may be more cost-effective and convenient to purchase some items (like shampoo and conditioner) at your destination rather than bringing your own. However, there are still a few essential items to pack to ensure your vacation is as comfortable and stress-free as possible!
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hairbrush or comb
- Facial cleanser
- Makeup products
- Contact lenses/glasses and cleaning solution
- Any medication you need
- Charging cable
5. Bags For Every Occasion
Figuring out what to pack for an international trip can be daunting, especially if you're trying to fit everything into one suitcase. You must bring suitable bags on your journey to maximize your suitcase space and organize your items. From a travel bag to carry all your essentials to stylish totes that are great for day trips or souvenir shopping, having the perfect bag for every occasion will ensure that packing and traveling abroad is as stress-free as possible!
Here are the bags we're packing:
- Techonaut 30 – The Techonaut 30 has a back pocket that allows the handle of our rolling luggage to slip right through, which makes it ideal for extended trips abroad that require a large suitcase. And when it's our only bag for a trip, we have packing cubes to separate base layers from accessories and outerwear to make it easier to put together outfits once we arrive in Paris.
- Clear Organizer Cube – This handy bag keeps all of our toiletries together so we can grab them when needed. But we especially love this organizer for international trips because it's big enough to hold everything we need, and it's TSA-compliant.
- Side Effect – A small, over-shoulder bag with plenty of pockets for organization, this bag is our go-to personal item for a flight to France.
- Shop Bag – While we love our Side Effect, we know we'll need something extra for souvenirs. And the shop bag is a perfect option because it folds up, which means it doesn't take up unnecessary space in our luggage.
- Handy Little Thing – We love the HLT because it has zippers, pockets, clips, and everything else we need to keep our tech organized when we travel abroad.
- Bantam – Designer bags are a staple in Paris, and the Bantam is chic enough to blend in with local fashion but functional enough to still be useful while we're sightseeing.
- Mesh Laundry Stuff Sack – There's no guarantee we'll be able to wash our laundry while we're traveling abroad. So we never leave on an international trip without a Laundry Stuff Sack, which helps us keep our dirty undergarments separate from the clean.
Perfect Your Paris Packing List With Packing Cubes
Trying to pack for a trip can be overwhelming, especially if you're headed abroad. But investing in minimalism and organization will make the process much easier! With our packing cubes, you can fit more into your luggage while keeping everything organized. Not only do they help you save space, but they also keep everything neatly tucked away, making it easier to find what you need when you arrive at your destination. Plus, with minimalistic packing options like these, it's easier to build stylish outfits that look effortless yet sophisticated - perfect for blending in with the local style of Paris!
You can find all of our packing cubes, plus other accessories, with our Organizational Bags.