The name of our Swivel Double Carabiner says it all: it’s a double carabiner joined in the middle by a swivel point. It’s available in sizes Small, Medium, and Large and in a variety of colors.
Wait a minute, you might say: didn’t I see these somewhere before? Yes, you did: our Knitting Tool Pouches have long included one Swivel Double Carabiner in Wasabi… and now we’re offering them in a variety of sizes and colors for purchase on their own.
There’s a lot of different ways you might use these handy carabiners; see the photos and video above for some ideas. Generally, these carabiners are intended to secure lighter weight items to your bag; they’re not intended for use in suspending something very heavy. And we probably don't need to say this, but we'll say it anyway: never use these to suspend body weight, never use these for climbing.
And, of course, all three sizes clip to the O-rings sewn inside our bags.
- Nick C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, Versatile1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsLet Us Cling Together
So, here you are, looking at a review for a carabiner. There are many carabiners out there these days, and you'll not be satisfied until you know whether THESE carabiners are the ones for you. Friend, I shall offer some passing words on their clippiness.
These carabiners come in three sizes, of which I have a pair of the large and medium (the smallest seeming perhaps too small for anything beyond keychain duty). They are of the "S-biner" type, with two separate gates, but their interesting feature is that they swivel on a pin. This lends them a surprisingly amount of flexibility in their application.
At present, I'm using a pair of the larges to hang a Tom Bihn Side Effect inside of a Goruck GR1 as an inner admin pouch. Of useful note is that the large size is just large enough to hook around the molle webbing, making it the closest in size/utility to standard carabiners. The swivel aspect comes into play mainly through allowing the carabiner to be wedged into a more restricted clipping situation on one side, but allowing the other side to turn freely, allowing your hand to easily work the gate and slip something on or off.
Unlike most other carabiners, these are plastic. Certainly, there's a sense of security to be found in an all-metal construction, but with that security comes weight. These, on the other hand, are pretty light, and wouldn't add much weight when added to any pack setup. I don't think I'd try to hang more than perhaps 15 pounds from one of these (the…
- MHVerified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, Compact, Versatile, Unique4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, Compact, Versatile, UniqueRated 5 out of 5 starsImmensely Useful
Must have accessory for travel and everyday use. Great for the usual carabiner tasks but especially helpful when paired with TB bags that have external o-rings (allowing the bag to be piggy-backed onto other bags or surfaces).
The medium size is sufficient for most uses, but I prefer large for added flexibility in clipping to a thicker surface. Pictured here is a Yeti Camino 35 for reference (its rim is similar to an airplane seat back, which is also a great spot to hang a TB bag).
The bags shown here with size large carabiners are the Side Effect in Night Walk (my EDC purse, shoulder strap stored inside) and the All-Fabric 3D Organizer Cube in Acai.
- Daniel M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design9 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful DesignRated 5 out of 5 starsConvenient little helper.
This is the glue when you need it.
- Michael s.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Durable, Good Storage Size, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful Design10 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Durable, Good Storage Size, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful DesignRated 5 out of 5 starsWould recommend the large for most things
The carabiners are quite nice for some things, but of course, don't work for everything you may use regular carabiners for. For example, I normally use carabiners to group up tote bags by the handle for easy grabbing and the mediums were much too small for that. Other than this caveat, I like the carabiners for attaching stuff to the outside of my bag, and the color is pretty nice as well.
- Brad H.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile10 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsSuper Useful
Great for keeping keys in a bag if you don’t want them on a lanyard.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.