We sized up the original Co-Pilot and created the Pilot to accommodate a 13" laptop and other larger tablets for both travel and everyday carry.
Not only does the Pilot have 30% more volume, but we've also developed ways to maximize its utility:
- 7 total interior organizational pockets
- Main compartment with 2 open-top pouches inside and 2 O-rings
- Front left zippered compartment with pocket sized to fit an iPad Mini and O-ring
- Front middle zippered compartment with an O-ring and grommet on the bottom
- Front right zippered compartment with small organizational pocket and 1 O-ring with a Key Strap
- Open-top quick-access pocket in the back for a magazine or newspaper
- Optional rolling luggage handle pass-through when quick-access pocket is unzipped
- Shoulder strap attachment points on the left and right
- Comfortable handle padded with PORON® foam
- Meets the personal item size requirement on most airlines
The Pilot was designed to fit the travel essentials — the items that should be easily accessible during your flight or at the airport. It's a personal carry-on that is a natural complement to our larger Techonaut, Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Synik, and Western Flyer carry-on travel bags.
Main Compartment With 2 Open-Top Pouches + 2 O-rings
The main compartment comes with 2 open-top pouches of equal size and 2 O-rings so that you can attach a Key Strap or organizational pouches like the Clear Organizer Pouch, Double Organizer Pouch, or Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch.
Three Front Zippered Pockets
There are three front zippered pockets, each with an O-ring inside. The front left compartment has a pocket sized to fit an iPad Mini (with or without its SmartCase) or a similar sized tablet. Use the remaining open space of this pocket for other stuff or pack a toiletry kit inside this compartment like the 3D Clear Organizer Cube. You can clip a long Key Strap to the O-ring so that you can attach the Cube; at the security checkpoint, you can unzip the front pocket and remove the Cube, but leave it tethered to the bag, ensuring you know exactly where it is.
The middle front compartment is designed to fit a small water bottle or compact folding umbrella. The bottom has a grommet so any condensation, spills, or leaks won't puddle in the bag. A Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack also fits nicely in this pocket.
The front right compartment has a small organizational pocket sized to fit most phones and three pen pockets (wide enough to fit Sharpies and highlighters). The O-ring inside includes a 8" Key Strap.
Wide Open-Top Pocket + Luggage Handle Pass-Through On The Back
The back of the Pilot features a wide, open-top pocket for a magazine or newspaper. The bottom of this pocket zips open so that you can slide the bag over the handle of rolling luggage. Fits luggage handles up to 2" wide.
Shoulder Strap Attachment Points
Shoulder strap attachment points are on the left and right sides of the Pilot. Our Standard Shoulder Strap is included with the bag, but you can upgrade to our Absolute Shoulder Strap.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- AmyBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, Compact9 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, CompactRated 5 starsThe perfect minimalist overnight bag
I bought this to use as a super-minimalist bag for a quick weekend plane trip, where my Synik 30 would have been too big. Going through airport security has never been easier! While everyone else fiddled with overstuffed backpacks and rolling luggage in the security line, I breezed through at lightning speed with just this little bag. I sprang for the absolute shoulder strap, and it was well worth it – it really does lighten the load. I am a 5’3” woman and I never felt like the Pilot was too big or bulky.
For my weekend trip, I packed a shirt, pajamas, socks, and underwear in the main compartment, along with my Bose headphones and two 3D Organizer pouches in the inner pockets for liquids and makeup. One front pocket carried miscellaneous essentials and the other carried my phone, wallet, keys, and books for the plane. The water bottle pocket is a game changer. The entire bag fits under the plane seat, keeping everything at hand during the flight and also saving time not having to pull your bag down from the overhead compartment upon landing.
I didn’t travel with any technology – no laptop or tablet – and it probably would have been too much to pack all of the above with any sort of tech. But for me, it was a fun challenge to see how lightly I could pack! As a business briefcase, a personal item, or packed out for an entire weekend, the Pilot is built to last and has more organization than you can shake a stick at.
- Rafael Martinez de C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Good Storage Size5 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Good Storage SizeRated 5 starsPilot flight bag
As a corporate pilot for more than 14 years I’ve been used a lot of flight bags during this time, and believe this one is the one ! Quality, great storage, practicity , comfort and many positive adjectives I can describe to this bag.
I can list all the stuff fits on it but will be to long.
It’s perfect for all the storage and all the stuff and gadgets that I need.
- Erik M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Thoughtful Design, Durable8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Thoughtful Design, DurableRated 5 starsCompact bag, nearly infinite capacity
As with basically all Bihn bags, it’s well designed and well constructed and weighs nearly nothing. And then you start putting things into it, and you keep putting things into it, and you put more things into it ... and pretty soon you run out of things and you still have space left! And then (especially if you have the upgraded shoulder strap) you start carrying it — and you wonder why all your things have no weight!
I think it’s a miniature TARDIS.
- Briz G.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful DesignRated 5 starsPerfect for a one night business trip
The Pilot is perfect for a one night business trip. I had been using a backpack but found myself carrying it by one strap or trying to carry it by my side. The Pilot is a great replacement. It is also perfectly sized as a personal item for a plane. I take one change of clothes in a packing cube on one side, and my Tom Bihn Standard Spiff kit on the other side. I used a laptop sleeve in the main compartment for the laptop and iPad. I opted for the Absolute strap which made long terminal walking easy. The only addition that would make this bag better would be two o-rings in the open pocket in the back. I could better clip and access a passport pouch in that area. I will be adding organization pouches to fully optimize the bag. Thanks Tom Bihn.
- James M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, ComfortableRated 5 starsPerfect carry on
This is the perfect add on luggage piece to use as a personal item, particularly on flights such as frontier/spirit.