The Le Petit Derriere (LPD) is, as you probably guessed, the smaller version of our waist/sling/shoulder pack, Le Grand Derriere (LGD).
After we debuted the LGD, a few folks asked if we’d someday offer a smaller version. That request made sense to us, and so we got to work.
The challenge was to make the LPD as small as possible without losing any features, squeezing all the pockets down to their minimum functional size.
The resulting size of the LPD is about 80% the length of the LGD on any given edge, and about 60% the total volume. (If you were absent that day in geometry class, you're not alone.) Side-by-side, the LPD and LGD don’t seem all that radically different in size. In profile, the difference is quite a bit more noticeable.
Time to choose your own adventure. Do the features and style of the LGD / LPD speak to you? If not, perhaps choose the path that takes you back to our collection of shoulder bags and waist packs or travel on to a new universe entirely.
Feeling spoken to? Your next quest is to determine which is the right size for you. And that comes down to a matter of capacity. Do you need the 6.2” depth / 8 liters of the LGD, or will the 4.7” depth and 4.6 liters of the LPD do the job? One way of thinking about it is: the LGD can fit a light jacket, whereas the LPD doesn’t.
Other than that, the LPD has all the same features as the LGD. Knock yourself out.
- Christopher T.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, Good Storage Size, Compact11 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, Good Storage Size, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsGreat for bringing the essentials on a day out!
It’s smaller than my usual bags making it quite easier to manage during longer outings. The material is very durable and the look is clean. The main compartment has only one separating pocket perfect for my iPad mini. Less organizing pockets means more flexibility in what I can keep with me, a necessity when keeping up with my toddler.
I opted for the shoulder strap instead of the waist belt. The belt does tuck away smoothly in the back and works great as comfort padding.
I keep a small first aid kit, charging cables, charging block, a pocket flashlight, wallet, two pens, and a multi tool. Right, and the iPad mini. I still manage to pack the kid’s fruit pouches in here.
- Emmett C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, Compact, Good Storage Size11 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, Compact, Good Storage SizeRated 5 out of 5 starsMight be my holy grail sketching bag
I've been looking for an urban sketching bag that could fit my loadout and after a few weeks of sketching with the LPD I may have found my grail bag.
Main compartment: Fits A5 sketchbooks perfectly, along with a brush container, water container, misc stuff for that day's trip, and I can even just squeeze in a 20oz nalgene water bottle.
Front zip compartment: Fits my non-sketching EDC stuff like my wallet, mini first aid kit, hand sanitizer, and keys. Best of all: keeps those things from cluttering access to my sketching gear.
Front buckle compartment: Perfect for quick access pens, a watercolor tin, and acts as a pen case for me. Pen clips and the flap have kept everything in so far, even though it's not fully sealed across the top.
Overall there's minimal wasted space and it's just working really well for me. I previously carried a co-pilot and found it was just a bit bulky and had extra space I wasn't using well, but the LPD has been great for my use case so far. Only complaints I might have are that the back panel doesn't breathe great. I never stow the straps, so I wish I could swap it out for a more breathable back panel, and might attempt a DIY fix at some point.
- Ken J.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful Design, Good Storage Size, Comfortable, High Quality Finishings9 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful Design, Good Storage Size, Comfortable, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 out of 5 starsA great bag
Upfront as an Aussie I have to put things straight, this is a Bum Bag, Fanny Packs are a whole different thing down here. I'm a gearophile so I have many small bags / packs but I think the Le Petit Derriere will be on high rotation. It has a place for everything, organisation is very well thought out. A quality bag but you'd expect nothing else from Tom Bihn.
- William N.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Unique7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, UniqueRated 5 out of 5 starsLove this little bag.
So I got this bag to be an EDC when I don't need to bring much. I am an unabashed fanny pack fan, particularly when popping around town on my bike which is typically my primary mode of transport. As a waist pack it works great. Love not having anything on my back when riding.
My iPhone mini fits perfectly in the front zip and I utilize the buckled pouch to throw an assortment of items I like to get to fast like my keys (on the included leash) and earbuds. The size is right there in the Goldilocks zone for EDC.
When I'm not doing something active I prefer to use it as a small cross body with an attached shoulder strap so I love that the waist strap folds away. I wouldn't recommend it if your primary purpose is to utilize it as a sling with the integrated wait strap as it doesn't carry particularly well in this mode. You might be better suited to go with a dedicated small cross body bag. But for my purposes it works beautifully.
- Jehra C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Versatile1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsLove the size
Being a petite person, the original Le Grand Derrière was too big for me as a hip pack. This bag on the other hand is perfect for me size-wise. Functionality-wise, it’s great. The inner pocket is spacious enough for my needs (Wallet, packable rain jacket, masks, with plenty of room for more). The front pockets give me different options to stuff I like to have readily available (meds, snacks, keys, phone). I use this bag as both a sling and hip pack. Thanks!
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.