The Size 1 Handy Little Thing (HLT) is a sweet clamshell organizer pouch.
- 1 exterior zippered pocket with an included 8" Key Strap
- 2 small interior zippered pockets
- 1 mesh zippered pocket
- 6 O-rings
- 10 interior elastic and webbing loops to retain your cords and tools
- 2 Medium Swivel Double Carabiners clipped to the thumb loops on the exterior
- 4 exterior loops to hook pens/flashlights/tools
- Hidden slot under the mesh zippered pouch through which you can tuck a notebook cover
- Attachment points for a 1" Gatekeeper Hip Belt or 1" Shoulder Strap
The HLT is available in two sizes: Size 1 and Size 2.
The Size 2 Handy Little Thing (HLT) is designed to accessorize your bigger TOM BIHN bag or work on its own. This bag is a dream for the ultra-organized or will be the inspiration you needed to realize your organizing potential.
Here's a little background story: When Nik was designing the Synik, Darcy envisioned creating a new style of ultra organizer pouch that would work with the Synik (but also any of our other bags) and would be useful in a variety of ways and scenarios. And like the Synik, it would clamshell open. Nik thought she must have been joking because he was pretty busy with the Synik 22 and 30. Months later, and after several protoypes and much testing, we can now say that vision has become reality... or rather, a thing.
Use It As A Main Compartment Organizer
On the exterior of the HLT are two Medium Swivel Double Carabiners on the thumb loops. Simply clip the Carabiners on the O-rings inside the main compartment of the Synik 30.
Once your HLT is clipped in your Synik, you can either leave it zipped shut or zipped open — in the latter case, you'd use it as a sort-of Freudian Slip.
When you need to access items out of that open-top pocket in the Synik, slide the HLT (still connected to the O-rings) up and out of the top of the Synik.
Tuck In The Bottom External Pocket Of The Synik
The HLT 2 is sized to fit in the bottom external pocket of the Synik 30 and Synapse 25.
Carry As A Minimalist Waist Pack, Sling, Or Shoulder Bag
If you've already got a 1" Gatekeeper Waist Belt from one of our other backpacks, then you can use it with the HLT.
If you have a heavily loaded HLT 2, you may notice that it tips outward slightly as the attachment points for the waist strap or the shoulder strap are on one side of the bag instead of two. We personally don't find this annoying, but it's worth mentioning. As we said, the HLT is primarily intended to be an internal organizer pouch.
Clip To The Seat Pocket On The Airplane
You can also clip the included Swivel Double Carabiners to the back seat pocket on the airplane seat in front of you; this way, your in-flight items — earbuds, snacks, sleeping mask, utility cloth, pen, notebook, cables, wallet, phone — are easily within reach throughout your flights.
Use As A Write-In Notebook Holder Or Work-Out-Of Tool Pouch
Slide your hand through the webbing handle loop on the back and tuck your thumb in one of the thumb loops and you have a notebook holder that rests securely in one hand* so you can take notes, write, or draw with the other hand. The notebook function works for both left-handed and right-handed people.
*Since the HLT 1 is a smaller pouch overall, people with larger hands may only be able to get three fingers through the handle, but it will still work as a write-in notebook holder regardless.
- Charlene M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Durable, Good Storage Size, Unique, Versatile1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Durable, Good Storage Size, Unique, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsAlso handy
I like and use my other 2 size 2 HLT that I bought another one to match my new backpack. I’m repeating myself because I also just reviewed the HLT 1. There is nothing about this little thing that I don’t like. It will attach to any thing in numerous ways. Since it attaches so easily to the rail loops I can attach it above the elastic pocket of my S30 and still easily get to the o-rings. You can see from my photos below it looks like it was just made for the S30, especially when also attached to an HLT1. I’m aware the rail system was developed to make it easy to slide a laptop in a cache but its great for almost anything. I like to wrap a coil around the elastic loop along with my DPNs to keep them secure when the pack is open. Those little things like to slip away.
- K R S.Verified ReviewerBought For Myself6 months agoBought For MyselfRated 5 out of 5 starsWahoo! Look what my HLT can do!
A great carry pack for my support spindle and spinning!
- David A B.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Unique, Versatile, Comfortable1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Unique, Versatile, ComfortableRated 4 out of 5 starsI'm going to end up buying 3 or 4 more of these.
1. A person of many different interests, most of which involve the manipulation of material using tools that fit in the human hand.
2. A person that struggles with a compulsive determination to be prepared to meaningfully engage in any or all of these interests with little to no warning and at any given time.
3. Pathologically disorganized.
When combined, these three characteristics alone mean that I live in a state of chronic low grade panic caused by the perpetual anticipation of multiple rapidly approaching, inevitable and mutually reenforcing catastrophes due to the firm conviction that I have misplaced some essential mundanity, the absence of which will mean certain doom to myself and my loved ones.
Well, a week after it arrived, a single instance of this bag has fixed that.
Lately I have been staying with a family member and helping them cope with some health issues. We're way out in the country, far away from my urban nest. Even with all of the chaotic to and fro that this sort of thing entails, not once have I misplaced my keys, or my wallet, or my flashlight, or my other flashlight, or my multitool, or my little pocket knife (I know), or my little fine diamond plate (yes, I know), or my phone and accompanying infrastructure, or my little vial of sentimental lake water, or my pencil and its sharpener and notebook and eraser, or their keys, or their wallet, or their flashlight, etc etc etc and so on and so on and so on.
To the extent that I understand it,…
- DINA B.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Compact, Versatile1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Compact, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsIt Doesn't Seem Little
Love my Handy Little Thing 1.
I haven't even finished utilizing it to its fullest potential.
It fits very well in my Synik 30. I love the pop-of-color it adds.
- Daniel H.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USARated 5 out of 5 starsuseful
Very useful as a travel organizer for medicines, paperwork, etc when clipped to the top o-rings inside the synik 30 main compartment. It fits nicely up in the top of the bag, and having an item in the top space of the bag gives it a more uniform thickness from top to bottom (instead of everything sinking to bottom of the main pocket and looking a bit more like a sack).
Favorite aspect of HLT is the way it tucks in and flips out of the synik to use while staying attached. This motion is elegant and satisfying in a way that is hard to explain, but other bag nerds will surely also appreciate. Exceeded my high expectations. Really nice product.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.