From the less-is-more school: a minimalist briefcase.
From the same "less is more" design school as the Daylight Backpack, the Daylight Briefcase is our answer to those who desire a classic, ultralight, and utilitarian briefcase.
And, like any well-realized, pure, straight-forward design, the Daylight Briefcase is defined almost as much by what it forgoes as by what it features. Our decision to omit padded handles, foam panels, and structure makes it eminently light and packable: an empty Daylight Briefcase fits flat in the main compartment of the Aeronaut 45, and it can be rolled and stowed in just about any of our larger bags.
Take a closer look at the Daylight Briefcase and you'll see our signature well thought-out pocketry. On the front face, one zippered pocket sits at a slight slope so you can slip in your 7" tablet with ease, either on its own or in a vertical 7" Tablet Cache or vertical Cache for iPad Mini. (Tip: tuck the flap of the Cache above the zipper and to the left so that the Cache remains in the pocket when you remove your tablet.) Above that slanted pocket, a second zippered pocket spans the width of the bag. Inside, it is divided down the middle into two sides that are well-suited for holding a phone, a paperback or Kindle, a power supply, or other small stuff.
One wall of the main compartment contains an open-top pocket with an elastic top. This clever application of elastic means the pocket can offer greater capacity for bulkier items without totally bellowing out, as well as making it easier for you to stow and retrieve things without catching them on the edge of the pocket. On the opposite wall you'll find two webbing loops designed to accept our Cache laptop sleeve. The Cache secures to the interior of the Daylight Briefcase in such a way that you can slide it out at TSA security checkpoints without actually removing your laptop from the Cache, turning the Daylight briefcase into a checkpoint-friendly laptop bag most laptops 13" or under.
O-rings? You bet. There's a total of six O-rings in the Daylight Briefcase: two in the main compartment, and two in each of the horizontal pockets on the face and back of the bag (tucked up near the external edges of the handles). Just to get you started, we've included an 8" Key Strap in Black, tethered to one of the O-rings in the main compartment. Add Organizer Pouches, Key Straps, a Guardian Light, or even a 3D Organizer Cube to customize and organize the inside of your bag.
The exterior back side has a pocket with a gently curved zipper. Files or a magazine fit great, but, like with the Daylight Backpack, stowing a jacket in this pocket creates a padded back panel and gives the bag some body and definition.
Although the top webbing grab handles can be pushed down out of the way when they're not of use, they naturally want to arise and meet, ready for your hand to grab. The Daylight Briefcase comes with a Simple Shoulder Strap, which clips to d-ring attachment points.
Choosing an Exterior Fabric
You like choices and we like to give you choices! That's why the Daylight Briefcase is typically available* in two different exterior fabrics. Our Materials Glossary explains each fabric in great detail, but here are some quick facts that may help you decide which to choose. And we're always here if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- plain weave with 1/4” / 6mm ripstop
- 400 denier type 6 filament nylon (base fabric); 420 denier ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene ripstop grid
- light urethane
- Made In
Choose this fabric if
- You want a lighter weight alternative to traditional nylon fabrics that has remarkable tear strength and good abrasion resistance.
- You're looking for a fabric with a modern, "technical" appearance.
- You have pets: 400d Halcyon doesn't collect pet hair, reducing your monthly lint roller costs.
525d High Tenacity Ballistic Nylon
- 2x2 “ballistic” weave
- 525 denier type 6,6 (high tenacity) filament nylon, twisted
- heavy urethane
- Made In
- South Korea with Canadian Yarn
Choose this fabric if
- You want your bag to be soft and supple yet tough as nails.
- You want a fabric that's stately enough to be at home at work, the mountains, or a nice hotel.
- You don't want your bag to collect pet hair or abrade your clothing.
- Kathy M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Durable, High Quality Finishings, Great Gift, Sewn in USA4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Durable, High Quality Finishings, Great Gift, Sewn in USARated 5 out of 5 starsMagic for a carry-on bad
I took this on a plane and with organizers, it held everything I needed including the Amazon Fire in the front pocket. I love it and am so glad I bought it! I will use it everywhere.
- CC C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings9 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 out of 5 starsFits a 2021 Macbook Pro 14" Perfectly
Paired with a Cache - 13C (2021 14" Macbook Pro), exactly what I was looking for. The Cache slides easily in and out with the provided strap hardware.
Long horizontal front zippered pocket is big enough for the power supply with the Apply 3-prong 3-foot Power Adapter Extension.
The top zippered vertical pocket is split into two equal sized pockets internally and does a nice job organizing small odds and ends.
- Constantine V.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact2 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsGood lightweight bag for airline “personal item” and EDC use
I was looking for something that would easily fit under an airline seat, fit a slightly larger tablet/laptop than a Co-Pilot, and be slimmer and smaller than a Pilot. The Daylight Briefcase fit my requirements nicely. It’s well-made and well-priced, and still has plenty of pockets to help organize things.
- KateVerified ReviewerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Finishings, Durable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Finishings, Durable, High Quality Craftsmanship, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsPerfect Bag
This is a simple little bag that's well-designed, has pockets for everything you need, and holds up really well. I bought my bag in 2017, it's traveled all over the country and internationally with me, to classes and jobs and cafes, even on camping trips, and it doesn't show any signs of wear. Really! Not even the corners.
I just bought a new, bigger laptop that doesn't fit in the original sleeve and that's the first real "issue" I've had. (Still fits the bag, so a new cache has been ordered.) To be honest, this briefcase is one of those things I own that I don't even think about because it just works perfectly. Highly recommended.
- Curt G.2 years agoRated 5 out of 5 starsVersatile of Purpose
I overlooked this bag in TB’s catalog for a long time, but I’m so glad I finally tried it out. It’s the most versatile bag I’ve ever had. It works great as titled, as a briefcase. But it’s also excellent as an all-around, casual daily carry bag. I’ve also occasionally put a camera insert in the main compartment to make a great discreet camera bag...in fact, unlike most dedicated camera bags, this one continues to excel as a daily bag even while carrying a camera. Finally, it’s a marvelous travel bag: it can be squished in a larger bag, or used at your seat on the plane, and as a small secure carry at your destination. One of my favorite parts of this bag are the light but always available handles. Paired with the Synik 30 or the Aeronauts, this bag is a great cross-body companion.
It’s nearly perfect as is...if I were to have one wish, it’s that it had a couple more organization pockets for pens and a thing or two, maybe on the back wall of the main compartment, or inside the back pocket. But not big deal, just a nice-to-have. Either way this will continue to be my go-to bag for just about everything.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.