The Daylight Backpack is the go-to 17L ultralight bag for everyday carry, hiking, or as a packable backpack inside your larger travel bag.
- No padding on the back panel keeps bag ultralight and rollable
- Exterior front zippered pocket that securely holds various smaller items
- Main compartment has 2 overlapping, open-top, elasticized interior pouches on the back panel
- 2 O-rings in the exterior front zippered pocket and 3 O-rings in the main compartment for hooking on optional additional organizer pouches
- Adjustable, 2.5"/65 mm padded fabric shoulder straps that will keep you feeling supported
- Webbing hanging loop/grab handle
- Removable waist belt
The minimalist approach: thin (but padded!) straps, build your own padded back panel, and just a pocket or two.
When it's time to go — to work, on a hike, or on a trip — our Daylight Backpack will be your solid, ultralight, and true companion. With a tablet or laptop and a light sweater/jacket, you're off to work, with room for a few last-minute groceries on your way home. Or, pack a bit more clothing, a water bottle, and the other eight essentials: you're set for a hike. And because it's so light and packable, you can carry it inside your larger travel bag (Techonaut, Aeronaut, or a rolling suitcase of your choice), and you'll have it with you as an everyday carry at your destination, whether it's exploring the museums of D.C. or the street food stands of Mexico.
Two Overlapping, Open-Top, Elasticized Interior Pouches
We initially struggled with wanting to add a padded back panel, but we were reluctant with this ultra-light design to add that additional weight and bulk. First we tried adding a thin pouch against the interior back of the pack in which you could stow a light sweater or other clothing; this would create a padded back panel and protect your back from whatever hard things you might be carrying. As a result, because of gravity, the soft clothing items drifted to the bottom of the pouch.
The Daylight features two overlapping, open-top, elasticized interior pouches on the back panel. One gets your rain shell or windbreaker, the other a light sweater or down vest, beach towel, or change of socks. The lower of the two pouches is suitable for a 11" or 13" tablet/laptop (in a Cache or other protected sleeve) and/or paper files; the upper will easily store power supplies or similar items. These shingled pouches encourage whatever you've put in there for padding to stay more or less in place, better protecting you from hard or pointy stuff in the rest of the pack. Remember that you're in charge of packing something soft against your back — the Daylight just gives you a nice framework to encourage you to do so.
Exterior Front Zippered Pocket
The exterior front zippered pocket is perfect for storing the items you need quick access to: wallet, map, phone, knife/multi-tool, first-aid kit.
O-ring Tether Points
There are two O-ring tether points in the front pocket and three in the main compartment, allowing you to add significant organization using our Organizer Pouches and/or Key Straps.
Padded Fabric Shoulder Straps
The Daylight Backpack includes adjustable 2.5"/65 mm padded fabric shoulder straps that are reasonably comfortable for such a light pack.
Webbing Hanging Loop + Removable Webbing Waist Belt
At the top of the Daylight Backpack is a 1"/25 mm webbing hanging loop/handle and a removable 1"/25 mm webbing waist belt below.
Durable Materials + Expert Construction
No bag lasts forever, but choosing the best and most durable materials and taking care not to abuse it (no washing machine or dryer!) can help a quality bag serve most people well (with maybe a repair or two) for up to 10-20 years.
This bag requires a significant skill to sew and construct; it's not just any sewing factory who can pull this off and do it well, it's ours, and it's because of the talent of our crew. They're the reason why our designs can be made in an ongoing practical fashion.
Choosing an Exterior Fabric
You like choices and we like to give you choices! That's why the Daylight Backpack is typically available* in two different exterior fabrics. Our Materials Glossary explains each fabric in great detail, but here are some quick facts that may help you decide which to choose. And we're always here if you have questions: email@example.com
- plain weave with 1/4” / 6mm ripstop
- 400 denier type 6 filament nylon (base fabric); 420 denier ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene ripstop grid
- light urethane
- Made In
Choose this fabric if
- You want a lighter weight alternative to traditional nylon fabrics that has remarkable tear strength and good abrasion resistance.
- You're looking for a fabric with a modern, "technical" appearance.
- You have pets: 400d Halcyon doesn't collect pet hair, reducing your monthly lint roller costs.
525d High Tenacity Ballistic Nylon
- 2x2 “ballistic” weave
- 525 denier type 6,6 (high tenacity) filament nylon, twisted
- heavy urethane
- Made In
- South Korea with Canadian Yarn
Choose this fabric if
- You want your bag to be soft and supple yet tough as nails.
- You want a fabric that's stately enough to be at home at work, the mountains, or a nice hotel.
- You don't want your bag to collect pet hair or abrade your clothing.
- Greg R.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings9 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 out of 5 starsThe Daylight - Now a near perfect day pack.
Several years ago, I purchased a Daylight as a day pack for everyday use. It was so near to the Sierra Designs Serendipity day pack I owned years ago, I was excited to receive it. Unfortunately, the design of the Daylight had a fault that that became so annoying that the Daylight ended up in the closet most of the time.
The thin seatbelt style straps always slipped off my shoulders, requiring constant attention to keep them in place. In addition, they were thin with no padding causing an uncomfortable carry when the items in the pack weighed more.
When I heard that there was going to be an update to the pack, addressing these annoying issues, I signed up to be notified when the new version became available. I ordered from the first batch. The new version has updated straps! They are lightly padded and now have a sternum or chest strap. Now the Daylight is comfortable to carry, and the straps lock in place when needed and don't slip off.
For my everyday usage (personal items, and a camera) the Daylight is perfect. The workmanship, design and material can't be beat. I highly recommend the Daylight to anyone looking for a daypack of this size.
- Dominique C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile, Compact1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsLess is more!
It's amazing how much I can store inside this simple daypack. It's lightweight and can be easily folded and stored flat. The 400 Halcyon in Taiga is just beautiful and unique. Its perfection lies in its no-nonsense simplicity. Though the straps aren't padded, it works just fine for the usual day load. This is the only backpack that I need, really. Love, love, love it!
- Susan M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage SizeRated 5 out of 5 starsPerfect.
I wanted a lightweight but comfortable backpack for everyday use. I’ve recently been having problems with my neck and needed to take a break from carrying a bag on one shoulder, this evenly distributes the weight and feels very comfortable thanks to the padded straps. I purchased the black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon and I love the subtlety of the blacked out label. My new favorite bag.
- Matthew M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, Versatile7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, VersatileRated 4 out of 5 starsNearly Perfect
Okay, this is a GREAT bag. It travel inside my main bag for when I arrive to a destination and need to carry daily essentials. It excels at that. I just wish the zippers were beefier. I know that’s a quibble, but the zippers on this bag are the only thing I have from Tom Bihn that doesn’t feel quality.
- Peter S.Verified ReviewerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Comfortable, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 4 out of 5 starsIf you can't get the packing cube backpack, this is the best 2nd choice
It's like the packing-cube backpack, except: it has a narrow top, so less capacity, particularly for anything rectangular; and it has several internal sections which I find annoying - they catch on whatever you're packing. So, yeah, if you can't get the packing cube you'll have to settle for this
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.