The Cadet is a minimalist, everyday-carry briefcase designed to fit your laptop, a few files or magazines, power supplies, pens, notebooks, and other small accessories.
- Main compartment with 2 interior unobtrusive webbing loops (to which you can secure the optional Cache), a large open-top pocket inside, and 2 O-rings
- 3 exterior-access compartments (second compartment includes 2 O-rings)
- 6 interior organizer pockets
- 1 exterior open-top pocket on the back
- Exterior, wide, quick-access pocket in the back for a magazine or newspaper
- Optional rolling luggage handle pass-through when quick-access pocket is unzipped
- Padded front, back, and bottom between the exterior and lining to provide some protection for an unprotected laptop
- Left and right shoulder strap attachment points
- Comfortable padded handles
The Cadet is what we like to describe as the strong, silent type of briefcase: straightforward and good-looking with lots of features inside. If you want a thinner briefcase that will still keep your stuff protected, then the Cadet is for you.
Main Compartment With 2 Interior Unobtrusive Webbing Loops + Open-Top Pocket
Three Exterior-Access Compartments
The Cadet has three exterior-access compartments. The first of the exterior pockets is a small horizontal zippered pocket. Like the other compartments, it has a YKK Racquet-Coil water-repellent zipper.
Behind the small zippered pocket is a contoured zippered compartment that opens to about half of the height of the bag, revealing organizer pockets sized for a Magic Mouse or similar size device, cell phone, passport, plus three pen/pencil pockets. There's plenty of additional room in this compartment for a power supply, phone charger, a small notebook, or snack. There are also two O-rings inside.
Wide Open-Top Pocket On The Back + Luggage Handle Pass-Through
The back of the Cadet features a wide, open-top pocket for a magazine or newspaper. If you're using the Cadet for travel, the bottom of this pocket zips open so that you can slide the bag over the handle of a rolling luggage.
Wear The Cadet Three Different Ways
The Cadet can be worn as a messenger (crossbody), shoulder bag, or briefcase. Shoulder strap attachment points are on the left and right sides of the Cadet and feature our exclusive, super-heavy-duty DuPont™ Delrin® eye-loops, tested to 260 pounds each. Our Standard Shoulder Strap is included with the Cadet. You have the option of upgrading to our Absolute Shoulder Strap. Two comfortable padded handles meet above the bag's center of gravity; when the Cadet is zipped shut, the handles come nicely together so you don't have to fish for them when it's time to grab and go.
Closed Cell Foam On The Front, Back, & Bottom
Between the exterior and the lining is .25/6 mm closed cell foam on the front, back, and bottom — this gives the Cadet its shape and provides additional protection for your laptop; if you choose to go au naturel (no Cache), this foam will provide some protection for an unprotected laptop.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- Nathan D.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Good Storage Size, Versatile7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Good Storage Size, VersatileRated 4 starsGood bag but overpriced
This is a good bag but I don't feel it's worth the price. Also after a couple weeks of use I've noticed a few tiny threads sticking out of seams-I used scissors and cut them off but this is disappointing for a bag that cost almost $200. The handle is a little flimsy without any rubber and doesn't have a solid feel but I mostly use it with the upgraded shoulder strap(a nice upgrade but should really be standard. Overall it is well made and has great zippers. It's a good bag but I probably would not buy it again unless it was considerably cheaper.
- James B.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Good Storage Size, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful Design4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Good Storage Size, High Quality Craftsmanship, Thoughtful DesignRated 4 starsGreat bag
Really like this bag. Perfect sized for day to day commuting with a Mac Air. My Pilot is great but too big for the daily grind.
I have one minor(ish) gripe about the Cadet. The handles are too thin and not particularly comfortable when not carrying the bag with a shoulder strap. The handles on the Pilot were lightly cushioned and it made for a more comfortable carry. Upgrade the handles in a future model and it would be a 5 star.
- Kathy D.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Versatile, Thoughtful Design, Durable8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Versatile, Thoughtful Design, DurableRated 5 starsThe Cadet Bag is Wonderful!
The Cadet bag is all I hoped it would be. This bag holds not only my laptop but my lunch and water bottle. I’m so happy to carry only one bag now.
- Mark K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship2 weeks agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 5 starsGreat side bag for my needs
I'm one of those weirdos who wears a cloak as a winter coat. It doesn't exactly work well with my backpack, so I needed another bag and this one was perfect. Same high quality as my backpack without making me look stranger than I already am
If I'm headed to work I can clip in my laptop in it's cache, or I can leave it out and have more room for anything I pick up along the way.
This is made as a briefcase-alike so is mostly good for storing things that would fit/go in a briefcase. But in a pinch I can fit two frozen pizzas in it, so who could ask for more?
- John F.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, Durable8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship, Good Storage Size, DurableRated 5 starsI love Tom Bihn products
This is my second laptop bag and it is awesome. I wanted something simple, functional, durable, and made in the USA. This is all of those. My Dell Inspiron 15 fits perfectly and there is plenty of room for power cords, mouse, and pens/pencils and a spiral bound notebook. Highly recommended!!!