The last personal carry-on you'll ever need.
The Night Flight Travel Duffel is perfectly sized for under the seat of a flight without wasting a modicum of space. Side pockets make accessing often-used items a cinch without yanking out the whole bag, while the main pocket lies comfortably in waiting under the carry handles.
- Big side compartments for easy access in the plane
- Shoulder or Hand Carry with comfortable scoops for easy pushing and pulling inside the plane.
- A total of 8 o-rings to attach anything you need where you need it.
The Night Flight is a new version of an older design. There are a few differences between this update and the older design:
- Main pocket lining now Halcyon or Cerylon instead of hook-and-loop material
- Additional o-ring in each of the side pockets
- New pass-through strap
Grab and Carry Options
The Night Flight Travel Duffel comes with a multitude of grab and carry options. It comes standard with, well, the Standard Strap. Comfortably designed scoops at the bottom of the side compartments make it easy to grab even from the overhead bin. An oversized, squishy handle keeps the two individual handles together while carrying it while keeping balanced. Finally, if you don't feel like carrying it anymore, there is a passthrough for wheeled luggage handles.
A pocket etches a gentle curve in the upper third of each of the two short sides of the Night Flight Travel Duffel. These pockets are easily accessible even from under-seat, and are the perfect place to put a pair of earbuds, a Travel Pillow, or a quick treat on the plane.
Above the end pockets, on each edge of the duffel, are the larger side compartments. They are mirror images of each other, a slip pocket inside large enough to fit an iPad Mini or eReader inside each, and as one would expect with us, two o-rings for your attachment needs.
Each pocket is quite large, measuring in at approximately 10" x 4" x 8" seam-to-seam. Perfect for even the largest things you want quick access with just a quick tug of the scoop to pull the side zipper out from under the seat.
The main compartment is a generously sized open area measuring in around 10" x 7" x 8". The lid has a mesh zipper pocket for all the small knickknacks you want safely stashed under your handles. The compartment also has a bevy of o-rings, 4 to be exact.
Standard Shoulder Strap
This one is a little different than most of our other shoulder straps, but not by much. No pad or grip, just a plain shoulder strap the width of our Standard shoulder strap.
8" Snaphook/Snaphook Key Strap
As with most of our bags, we've included a key strap. 8" long from tip-to-tip, a snaphook on either end. Good for attaching your keys to.
A Set of Black Zipper Pulls
A set of pulls to extend or replace your metal pulls.
Upgrade the Standard shoulder strap to an Absolute Shoulder Strap for a comfortable carry with even the heaviest load.
- Larry J. C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, High Quality Craftsmanship5 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 3 out of 5 starsAverage Bag
I’ve been hoping to see this bag back into production for a long time and had it preordered within the first several minutes. A “personal item” that was top-loading and met a certain airlines rather “limited” size limits was at the top of my Travel Stuff wish list.
I was fortunate that the Tom Bihn crew was able deliver in time before my 6 days of (literally) train, plane, and automobile travel between San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston.
However, it is telling that as soon as I opened the box and then opened up the NFTD, I was looking around the house for fixes -- eventually ordering one fix online and hoping it would arrive in time (it did).
1. No padding inside on the bottom of the end compartments. This was a surprise to me, since the main compartment is padded. One of the things I use an end compartment for is carrying a small mirrorless camera (Fuji X-E3). One layer of fabric between it and the world is unsat. My “fix” was to order some adhesive backed 1/8” foam neoprene. I cut pads to fit and installed them -- they worked fine. In fact, that additional padded layer helps give the end compartments a little more shape, but not so much that the NFTD won’t fit nicely into the airport sizing jigs. Unfortunately, that mod probably means that I no longer can return the bag.
2. Center compartment too small. I understand the long dimension limitation of 17 inches. But if Tom Bihn had just reduced the end compartments to 3 1/2 inches, that extra…TBTOM BIHN4 months ago
Hi Larry, we appreciate this thorough feedback and will certainly be sharing it with the rest of the Design team.
- Greg H.Verified ReviewerBought For GiftProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Compact1 year agoBought For GiftProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsA Supern Personal Flight Bag
A good friend and I had each identified the NFTD as an ideal personal flight bag, and were of course disappointed that it was out of production. But I located a NFTD on eBay and bought it for him as a Christmas gift. I was truly impressed when I got my hands on it and—very briefly—considered keeping it for myself. These almost never show up in the after-TB market. But I stuck with my gifting intention, and my buddy was thrilled with it. I was also fortunate to locate the camera insert kit [he's a photog], though its pieces=parts are probably easy to source from photographic gear retailers. If TB returns the NFTD to production, I will be among the first inn line . . ..
- Michael T.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality FinishingsRated 4 out of 5 starsExactly as billed, but would like to see some tweaks
First off, let me say that this bag is exactly as described and has all the hallmarks of a TB product. I really appreciate the thoughtful touches like the pockets and scoop handles found at either end and the little stash pocket in the top flap. That said, I do wish the bag offered a little more flexibility in terms of how the interior space can be used. One change I would like to see is making one or both of the partitions between the main compartment and the side compartments zip-away-able to allow for carrying of longer/larger items, when needed. Having another 2-3 cm at either end of the main compartment would make this the perfect gym bag for me. As it is, I have to struggle a bit to get my shoes in and out. All in all a great bag--added versatility would really take it over the top for me.TBTOM BIHN4 months ago
Hello Michael! We appreciate your feedback, and it brought a smile to our faces! We did explore the idea of interior zippers to expand the main compartment during our design process. However, for several reasons, it didn't make it to the final design. It's great to hear that you had the same thought as us!
- Jacob W.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, CompactRated 4 out of 5 starsExcellent bag, but *much* smaller than expected
Very happy with many of the bag's features (e.g. the number of small pockets and clip loops) and the craftsmanship is great as usual, but I was (perhaps unreasonably) expecting this bag to hold a lot more stuff than it actually does. Over-ear headphones and a book will take up most of the main compartment - and forget about your laptop.
So get out your tape measure before ordering and make sure this bag will be big enough for your needs. It turns out that the official size limits for a personal item make for a really tiny bag. I was hoping I could squeeze my 14" laptop into this guy but it turns out to be barely big enough for an iPad mini.
I intend to figure out another use for the bag (beach day?) because I really like it in theory, but I almost always fly with too much stuff in my personal item to use the Night Flight Travel Duffel for that purpose. I ended up ditching this for a recent trip with multiple international flights and replaced it with a trusty backpack that, among other things, has a padded laptop compartment.
- Doreen R.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Versatile, Durable1 month agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Versatile, DurableRated 5 out of 5 starsI never thought a duffel would be the right bag for me
When I started using Tom Bihn bags for travel I had bags that worked in a backpack configuration. They may have also had a hand and hand shoulder option but the way I used them the most was in backpack mode.
Fast forward 15 years and I took a handbag packing master class to travel with even less. I learned that I didn’t need as much bag as I thought I did and it has opened doors for me to consider smaller and smaller bags. Smaller travel bags mean I’m carrying less weight. Less weight means I don’t need my bag to be a backpack.
I love my Pilot and Cambiata but I’ve wanted the Night Flight ever since it was introduced.
I’m so glad that I got one. The compartments are small which allows for internal organization. But for how travel now it’s perfect!
I haven’t traveled with it yet, but I would pack one end with entertainment and electronics, one end with toiletries and essentials and the center compartment with clothing and one pair of shoes. I wear size EU38 and mostly travel with barefoot shoes so I can fit a pair in fairly easily.
My Night Flight is Navy Cerise and I’m in love with the business exterior and party on the interior. It’s very easy to see inside the bag and it being a smile each time I see it.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.