The Co-Pilot was designed to fit the travel essentials — the items that should be easily accessible during your flight or at the airport.
- Main compartment with 2 open-top pouches on the interior and 4 O-rings
- 3 front zippered exterior compartment:
- Left compartment with a small organizational pocket and O-ring
- Middle pocket with an eyelet on the bottom
- Right pocket with 4 pen pockets and 1 O-ring
- Wide open-top pocket on the back for a magazine or newspaper
- Optional rolling luggage handle pass-through when quick-access pocket is unzipped
- Left and right attachment points for an optional Shoulder Strap
- Comfortable handle padded with PORON® foam
- Piping on the front to maintain shape and appearance
- Meets the personal item size requirement on most airlines
If you love the features of the Co-Pilot, but want a larger personal carry-on, we also offer the Pilot.
The Co-Pilot is our original personal carry-on travel bag. It also works great as a destination briefcase. Looking for something slightly bigger? Check out the Pilot.
Main Compartment With Two Open-Top Interior Pouches + 4 O-rings
The main compartment is wide, open, and ready to accept larger items, like more clothes and your iPad, E-reader, or book. Inside, there are two open-top pouches of equal size aid organization and 4 O-rings so that you can attach pouches like the Clear Organizer Pouch, Double Organizer Pouch, or Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch.
Three Front Zippered Pockets
The Co-Pilot has three front zippered pockets with an O-ring in each. You can clip a long Key Strap to the O-ring so that you can attach the 3D Clear Organizer Cube. At the security checkpoint, you can unzip the front pocket of your Co-Pilot and remove the Cube, but leave it tethered to the bag, ensuring you know exactly where it is. The front left compartment also has a small organizational pocket.
The middle front pocket is designed to fit a small water bottle or compact folding umbrella. The bottom of this pocket has an eyelet so any condensation, spills, or leaks won't puddle in the bag.
The front right pocket has four pen pockets and one O-ring which includes a Key Strap. It's the same size as the left pocket and it's perfect for storing things like a digital camera, snacks, or even a light wind shell or down vest.
Wide Open-Top Pocket + Luggage Handle Pass-Through On The Back
The back of the Co-Pilot features a wide, open-top pocket for a magazine or newspaper. The bottom of this pocket zips open so that you can slide the bag over the handle of rolling luggage. Fits luggage handles up to 2" wide.
Shoulder Strap Attachment Points
Shoulder strap attachment points are on the left and right sides of the Co-Pilot. Our Standard Shoulder Strap is included with the bag, but you can upgrade to our Absolute Shoulder Strap.
Choosing an Exterior Fabric
You like choices and we like to give you choices! That's why the Co-Pilot is typically available* in two different exterior fabrics. Our Materials Glossary explains each fabric in great detail, but here are some quick facts that may help you decide which to choose. And we're always here if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- plain weave with 1/4” / 6mm ripstop
- 400 denier type 6 filament nylon (base fabric); 420 denier ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene ripstop grid
- light urethane
- Made In
Choose this fabric if
- You want a lighter weight alternative to traditional nylon fabrics that has remarkable tear strength and good abrasion resistance.
- You're looking for a fabric with a modern, "technical" appearance.
- You have pets: 400d Halcyon doesn't collect pet hair, reducing your monthly lint roller costs.
525d High Tenacity Ballistic Nylon
- 2x2 “ballistic” weave
- 525 denier type 6,6 (high tenacity) filament nylon, twisted
- heavy urethane
- Made In
- South Korea with Canadian Yarn
Choose this fabric if
- You want your bag to be soft and supple yet tough as nails.
- You want a fabric that's stately enough to be at home at work, the mountains, or a nice hotel.
- You don't want your bag to collect pet hair or abrade your clothing.
- Jen K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, Durable, Good Storage Size, Unique7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, Durable, Good Storage Size, UniqueRated 3 out of 5 starsFunction over form.
I am a pragmatist and not a super fashionista, so I've always trended toward bags that work on the level of a perfect pocket here or a nicely placed pocket there vs. looks. I purchased this for an upcoming trip to Europe since I want to be able to haul a water bottle in addition to other purse items, and a backpack seemed too pickpocket-friendly. The bag is uber-functional and I love that. I think it will serve me well. But it does look like a work laptop bag or airline bag more than a daily casual carry, even for a non-fashion focused person like me. It's fine, it will serve its purpose- but I don't think it will replace my purses on the homefront.
- Alvaro S.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, Compact2 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsI love this bag and see below for the reasons.
A little backstory. I purchased the orange colorway December 2021 and used for about a year, until I spilled oil on it and then had to get the constellation colorway (December 2022). The following applies to both Co-Pilots, but the blue one was by far better. See the cons below why.
1. The bag is compact enough to not be a burden to carry.
2. It fits my Chromebook x2 11, Kobo Libra 2, various EDC (external batteries), and Switch Lite very well for long days I'm out doing errands.
3. The sheer amount of pockets make it oh so very wonderful for organization and segmentation. A water bottle pocket and pen organization. The front pocket is great for an external battery ready to charge any device.
4. Pairs well with my side effect to organize my small EDC items.
Cons: Like I said. I loved the orange color way but the constellation color way was flat out better for one simple reason. The ZIPPERS.
The orange colorway had some very stiff zippers that made closing them a 2 handed operation. The constellation colorway has smooth zippers that I can close one handed. I am not sure why this is, but I am grateful for the smoother zippers all over this bag.
- Quinten K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Unique, Good Storage Size8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Unique, Good Storage SizeRated 5 out of 5 starsPerfect size for me
I love this bag, its compartments are perfect, and it's the perfect little size for something non-laptop-carrying. (It does technically fit my XPS13 comfortably and zip up nicely, but with a padded case it wouldn't fit anymore.) I plan for it to be my personal item on a long flight later this summer. Tested it out as the passenger in a road trip and I think it's going to be perfect. I love that it's the size of a big purse but reads solidly as a mini briefcase or something. I am still working out a strap solution as the one it came with is a really awkward length for me (I'm 5'4" and prefer to wear it higher) but the TB staff are so responsible and helpful that it doesn't lose a star for that.
- Donald D.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile5 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsGreat small bag
This is my second Tom Binh bag. I wanted something to replace the backpack I have stuck under my seat for years but which left little room for my feet. The co-pilot fits the bill. Its four sections provide ample room and options for your personal level of organization. Its compact size leaves room for my feet. It carries comfortably with the Aeronaut on my back, and is built to take the abuse of travel.
- Rafael S.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Compact, Good Storage Size8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Compact, Good Storage SizeRated 5 out of 5 starsPerfect work bag!
The Co-Pilot is a great bag for work. The material of this bag is high quality, and so is the finish. Is big enough to carry comfortable my daily items for work. Instead of using a cache with the bag in the main compartment, I decided to use a HLT #2. For extra cords/flash drives, I use a pouch. All these items with a light jacket an iPad mini. The other compartments are filled with daily items (pens, sticky notes, business cards, keys, wallet). Did I forget to mention that the water bottle compartment is spacious? Well, just to have an idea it fits my Nalgene 32oz bottle. I really like this bag for work. The strap that comes with seals it off with comfort.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.