The Co-Pilot is a small, personal item carry-on travel briefcase designed to fit the essentials.
- Main compartment that fits an 11" laptop or tablet
- 2 interior open-top pockets and 4 O-rings
- 3 exterior front pockets with independent volume and 1 O-ring in each
- Rolling luggage handle pass-through pocket on open-top pocket bottom
- Carry as a briefcase or wear as a shoulder bag
- Fits under the seat in front of you on the airplane
The main compartment is large enough to store clothes or a 11" Macbook Air or smaller tablet in a Cache. Inside, there are two open-top pockets of equal size — perfect spot to store an organizer, like our Clear 3D Organizer Cube or Vertical Packing Cubelet. On each interior side of the main compartment are 2 O-rings so that you can attach our Mystery Organizer Pouches and Ghost Whale Organizer Pouches.
3 Front Exterior Organizational Pockets
The Co-Pilot has three front zippered pockets with an O-ring in each. The front left compartment also has a small organizational pocket.
The middle front pocket is designed to fit a small water bottle or compact folding umbrella. The bottom of this pocket has an eyelet so any condensation, spills, or leaks won't puddle in the bag.
The front right pocket has four pen pockets and one O-ring which includes a Key Strap. It's the same size as the left pocket and it's perfect for storing things like a digital camera, snacks, or even a light wind shell or down vest in a Travel Stuff Sack.
Rolling Luggage Handle Pass-Through
We know many of you like to use our bags as personal items alongside roller luggage when traveling, so the pass-through pocket is tucked on the bottom of the open-top back pocket.
There are, of course, different sizes of rolling luggage with different handle lengths and widths. If you'd like to place your Co-Pilot over the handle of your rolling luggage, that handle will need to be at least 292.1 mm / 11.5" tall and at most 50.8 mm / 2" wide.
The pocket also has a zipper on the bottom side so when you are not utilizing it for a luggage pass-through, you can just zip it up and store quick-access items in there.
Standard Shoulder Strap
1.5" / 38 mm nylon webbing strap, includes .25" / 6mm texturized rubber pad and heavy-duty plastic snaphooks.
8" Snaphook/Snaphook Key Strap
As with most of our bags, we've included a key strap. 8" long from tip-to-tip, a snaphook on either end. Good for attaching your keys to.
A Set of Black Zipper Pulls
A set of pulls to extend, quiet, or replace your metal pulls.
Absolute Shoulder Strap
Upgrade from the included 1.5” strap to an Absolute Shoulder Strap if you anticipate carrying a heavy load.
3D Clear Organizer Cube
The 3D Clear Organizer Cube is the perfect organizer for your toiletries and is specifically designed to meet the TSA 3-1-1 liquids-program requirements. If you want a faster and smoother security checkpoint experience, use the Cube as your go-to toiletries bag.
The Co-Pilot can accommodate a wide range of devices. If you plan on putting a laptop or smaller tablet in the interior banded open-top pocket, we recommend adding a Cache.
- Alvaro S.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, Compact1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, CompactRated 5 out of 5 starsI love this bag and see below for the reasons.
A little backstory. I purchased the orange colorway December 2021 and used for about a year, until I spilled oil on it and then had to get the constellation colorway (December 2022). The following applies to both Co-Pilots, but the blue one was by far better. See the cons below why.
1. The bag is compact enough to not be a burden to carry.
2. It fits my Chromebook x2 11, Kobo Libra 2, various EDC (external batteries), and Switch Lite very well for long days I'm out doing errands.
3. The sheer amount of pockets make it oh so very wonderful for organization and segmentation. A water bottle pocket and pen organization. The front pocket is great for an external battery ready to charge any device.
4. Pairs well with my side effect to organize my small EDC items.
Cons: Like I said. I loved the orange color way but the constellation color way was flat out better for one simple reason. The ZIPPERS.
The orange colorway had some very stiff zippers that made closing them a 2 handed operation. The constellation colorway has smooth zippers that I can close one handed. I am not sure why this is, but I am grateful for the smoother zippers all over this bag.
- Jen K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, Durable, Good Storage Size, Unique1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, Durable, Good Storage Size, UniqueRated 3 out of 5 starsFunction over form.
I am a pragmatist and not a super fashionista, so I've always trended toward bags that work on the level of a perfect pocket here or a nicely placed pocket there vs. looks. I purchased this for an upcoming trip to Europe since I want to be able to haul a water bottle in addition to other purse items, and a backpack seemed too pickpocket-friendly. The bag is uber-functional and I love that. I think it will serve me well. But it does look like a work laptop bag or airline bag more than a daily casual carry, even for a non-fashion focused person like me. It's fine, it will serve its purpose- but I don't think it will replace my purses on the homefront.
- Donald D.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Compact, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, VersatileRated 5 out of 5 starsGreat small bag
This is my second Tom Binh bag. I wanted something to replace the backpack I have stuck under my seat for years but which left little room for my feet. The co-pilot fits the bill. Its four sections provide ample room and options for your personal level of organization. Its compact size leaves room for my feet. It carries comfortably with the Aeronaut on my back, and is built to take the abuse of travel.
- David K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile, Good Storage Size, Thoughtful Design1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Finishings, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile, Good Storage Size, Thoughtful DesignRated 5 out of 5 starsSuper high quality. Maybe a bit too functional in design?
This is my new in-cabin travel bag for my iPad, iPhone, headphones, passport, ereader, glasses, etc. It is super-functional and very well made. I'm sure I'll have it for another decade, like I did my previous Tom Bihn (became too small for the iPad upgrade and ereader). Only slight feedback is that I think the design elements could be taken up a bit to give it a more sleek, modern look. Looks like a laptop case when a messenger bag would be a better vibe.
- Quinten K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Unique, Good Storage Size1 year agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Unique, Good Storage SizeRated 5 out of 5 starsPerfect size for me
I love this bag, its compartments are perfect, and it's the perfect little size for something non-laptop-carrying. (It does technically fit my XPS13 comfortably and zip up nicely, but with a padded case it wouldn't fit anymore.) I plan for it to be my personal item on a long flight later this summer. Tested it out as the passenger in a road trip and I think it's going to be perfect. I love that it's the size of a big purse but reads solidly as a mini briefcase or something. I am still working out a strap solution as the one it came with is a really awkward length for me (I'm 5'4" and prefer to wear it higher) but the TB staff are so responsible and helpful that it doesn't lose a star for that.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.