Our Strap Keepers are designed to be the lowest-profile and easiest to use solution out there for bundling and securing excess backpack shoulder strap webbing. They can be used with any brand of backpack that uses 1" webbing; of course, they'll work perfectly with all TOM BIHN packs. They're available in Black for most of our backpacks and also in Coyote to match Coyote trim backpacks like The Guide's Pack or Guide's Edition Synapse 25, Synik 30, or Synik 22.
It’s one of those to-may-to or to-mah-to kind of things: some folks don’t like the excess webbing from our backpack shoulder straps or waist straps and some of folks don’t even notice it.
Those of you who aren’t into the excess webbing have been asking us if we could offer a solution to wrangle it. We’ve been experimenting with different parts and options for a while now, and our Strap Keepers are by far the best option we've used. But that's us: to make sure the design we came up with would work for a majority of people, we sent a complimentary pair of Strap Keepers to a variety of customers (through our Forums; and also to those who pre-ordered a Synik 22 / 30 and received a pre-production batch bag) and asked for feedback. The feedback came back to us via email and in this thread in our Forums; overall, people liked the Strap Keepers enough that we've decided to offer them as an official design.
Here’s why we like our Strap Keepers more than the other solutions we experimented with:
- They’re low-profile with minimalist hardware.
- They’re not sewn in to the bag.
- They don’t fall off the bag even when they aren’t being used to wrangle webbing (if you install them the way we recommend; see below.)
- They can work to wrangle excess webbing on any bag (TOM BIHN or otherwise.)
- If properly used — see our photos and video above and the text description below — they don’t result in a dangly ball of strap hanging off the bag.
- It’s pretty easy to use the Strap Keepers to secure the webbing.
It’s important to secure the Strap Keeper to the length of webbing that is between where it is sewn into your backpack and the ladderlock (the buckle through which the webbing is fed). This way, if you pull on the bundled webbing, the Strap Keeper will remain attached to your pack and won’t fall off. If you use the Strap Keeper to bundle the length of webbing that extends beyond the ladderlock and hangs down to itself — resulting in a dangly ball of webbing — it, well, creates a dangly ball of webbing and, if you undo that ball of webbing, the Strap Keeper will likely fall off entirely.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- Kyler H.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Durable, Easily Adjustable, High Quality Finishings4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Durable, Easily Adjustable, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 starsDo what they’re intended for
You forget they’re even on, and they do there job. What more can you ask for?Was this helpful?
- Jared N.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Versatile6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, VersatileRated 5 starsThese are the best and I use them on every bag
These are the best and I use them on every bagWas this helpful?
- SEAN L.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship1 month agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 5 starsGreat for keeping the dangles from dangling.
Great for keeping the dangles from dangling.Was this helpful?
- Christine T.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, Unique6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, UniqueRated 5 starsA must for backpacks
One of my biggest pet peeves about backpacks is the extra dangling shoulder straps. I use these handy strap keepers on all of my backpacks. They work very well and I have yet to have one fall off.Was this helpful?
- Stephen G.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Durable, Versatile, Easily Adjustable4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Durable, Versatile, Easily AdjustableRated 5 starsgreat for managing dangles
they work perfectly as described, only downside is that they’re more expensive than velcro strapsWas this helpful?