Some of our bags — such as the Cadet, Synik, Pilot, and Co-Pilot — have built-in rolling luggage handle pass-through slots. But what do you do if your bag doesn’t have a pass-through, or you have rolling luggage with a very thick, wide handle that can’t fit through the bag’s built-in pass-through?
There’s two solutions we can offer:
Option #1 Use the Webbing Waist Belt On the Bag You Have
This is admittedly a bit of a hack, but if you have one of our bags, you might already have what you need for it and, in that case, it’s free!
1. Remove the Gatekeeper Webbing Waist Belt that’s included with most of our larger bags.
2. Connect the two Gatekeeper clips together: now you’ve got a long strap with a male/female buckle closure.
3. Use that strap and wrap it around the middle of your Synik, Synapse, Pop Tote, Tri-Star or other bag as it’s sitting on top of your rolling luggage with its back against the handle of the luggage.
4. Clip the buckle around the rolling luggage pole.
5. Cinch the strap down.
Option #2 Use the optional Simple Rolling Luggage Lash Strap
Don’t have a Gatekeeper webbing waist belt, or don’t want to remove it from your bag because you use it? We made a purposeful version of the strap that effectively does the same job: the Simple Rolling Luggage Lash Strap.
What We Like About This Strap-Around-The-Bag Solution
It’s simple and easy to use. And let us be clear: this is not some smart or revolutionary invention. It’s a pretty obvious, low-tech solution. If and until we invent something more clever, this is it. It’s possible that you’ve already discovered this solution on your own, and if that’s the case, kudos.
In our experience, the bag — Synik, Pop Tote, Tri-Star, Synapse, Guide’s Pack, whatever pack we offer, or even possibly a pack from a different brand — is effectively secured to the rolling luggage in such a way that it won’t spin around or slide off. It feels stable.
It feels more stable than a webbing or elastic band sewn to the back of the bag because it’s holding the center of gravity of your bag and all of its stuff against the rolling luggage handle. This is also the reason that it works better than using the sternum strap and waist strap on one of our backpacks to secure the bag to the rolling luggage.
It’s a solution that’s not built-in to the bag: you can use it when you need to use it, remove it and stow it in one of the pockets in your bag when not in use, or leave it at home when you don’t need it at all. (In fairness to the rolling luggage pass-through pockets on the Synik, Cadet, and other bags: they don’t add any bulk and are dual-purpose.)
Note: these solutions work with two-pole handle rolling luggage; they won’t work that well with the less typical one-pole handle rolling luggage.
We asked members of our Forums to help us test these methods; here’s the feedback they shared.
If you use either strap method, we want to hear how it works for you: email@example.com
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- David M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Versatile4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, VersatileRated 5 starsVery practical!
I bought this for an LL BEAN canvas tote bag that I like to put in top of my rolling bag at the airport, but always slips off. It fits well with the tote, though maybe a bit too snugly.
I’m very happy Tom Bihn sells this and it’s made in USA. This is such a smart idea and practical item, but I think only Tom Bihn sells one. I couldn’t find others selling it, very fairly priced too.
- David B.Verified ReviewerBought For Myself4 months agoBought For MyselfRated 4 starsNot a review but a comment on the hack video
Thank you for posting the video showing the hack with the gatekeeper strap. It works pretty well (at least while testing it around the house). I added clipping the sternum straps around the roller back handle to secure my Synapse 25 in two places. If it doesn't work out in the real world, I'll likely pick up the luggage lash strap (which appears to be wider so maybe more secure).
- Tania M.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, Versatile5 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Easily Adjustable, VersatileRated 5 starsGreat for attaching bags that do not have a sleeve
This strap comes in real handy to attach anything to your rolling luggage, especially bags with no attached sleeve.
- Jacqueline A.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Durable, Easily Adjustable, Great Gift, Versatile7 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Compact, Durable, Easily Adjustable, Great Gift, VersatileRated 5 starsSo Simple, So Useful!
Never fails that, while running through an airport, someones bag (My Moms) slides off the handle. Happened upon this while seeing what cool things were available at Tom Bihn. Ordered but wasn't expecting much. Simple design, low price. Well, I am pleasantly surprised. After initial adjustment, we could easily wrap around luggage handle and Moms Shoulder bag. Tucked easily and compactly into her bag. I can see it working well to secure other items as well.
- Terri Y.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, Durable, High Quality Finishings5 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Easily Adjustable, Durable, High Quality FinishingsRated 5 starsLuggage Lash Strap
I used this in conjunction with the Belt Clips to create my own waist belt for my eBags Motherlode 40L backpack. Wish I had known about the TOM BIHN brand before buying the Motherlode.