We've taken the #OpenCovidPledge and have promised to make our face mask designs available to all. Back in April, we posted the pattern + instructions of our V1 Reusable Cloth Face Mask — for free use by all under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Now we're sharing the pattern for our V3 Reusable Cloth Face Mask (product link here; pattern below!)
Home sewers across the country have been using the V1 pattern to sew masks for their friends, family, and communities; some have opened Etsy shops offering versions of our V1 Mask for purchase. We want to support sewers, makers and small home businesses; if you open a shop and offer our mask patterns for purchase, let us know so we can link to you.
DOWNLOAD THE V3 MASK PATTERN BELOW! Questions, feedback, thoughts? Feel free to post a comment.
Here's a video in which Tom demonstrates how to sew the V3 Mask:
Rachel, owner of the Etsy shop tombihninspired that offers versions of our face mask patterns including expanded sizes and filter pockets, created the video below demonstrating how to make the adjustable ear loops and lanyard of the V2 and V3 Mask. Note that masks with lanyards are for adult use only and are not intended for use by children 12 and under; see our warnings & guidelines.
- Please download our Warnings & Guidelines for use (page 3 of the pattern itself.) The V3 Mask is not intended for use by children 12 and under.
- Print the mask patterns full size (100%); recut it it onto thin cardboard if that makes sense to your production needs. Here’s a link to a video we made with tips for speeding up mask production.
- For the three fabric layers of our V3 Mask, we use an outermost layer of 65% polyester / 35% cotton blend; a middle layer of 100% Cotton Twill; and an innermost / face layer of 100% Cotton Twill. Governments and public health institutions have issued various mask making guidelines that can guide your fabric choices. You may be interested in this W.H.O. document which discusses three layer masks and materials.
- Ear loop/lanyard material: we recommended using t-shirt yarn or stretchy athletic material (think yoga pants or dance tights.)
- Nose bridge material: we sew a piece of 1/2” / 12mm nylon herringbone tape across the bridge of the nose so that you can slide a twisty-tie or piece of pipe cleaner in there to gently pinch/seal across your nose. This is optional of course. In the factory, we hot cut the ends of the herringbone tape to fuse the fibers together so they don’t fray: if what you use to create the channel can’t be hot knifed (like it’s cotton), simply cut it another inch / 25mm longer and fold the ends over as you sew.
- Thank you for sewing and making masks; share your photos, stories, tips, and feedback with us by responding in the comments.
V3 Reusable Cloth Face Mask Pattern by TOM BIHN, INC. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.tombihn.com/products/3layermask