The Synik 22 and Synik 30 pre-order opened on 08/13 and it sold out less than 12 hours later. We opened a second pre-order on 08/15 and it sold out this Monday 08/19. Pre-order is now officially closed and our factory crew has already started making the pre-ordered Syniks. Several weeks from now, after the pre-order bags are nearly completed, we will begin an additional production run of Syniks for stock; we expect those to be ready for order sometime early-mid December.
Thank you to everyone who placed a pre-order for the Synik. We've all been working hard on the Synik project and it means a lot to us that it was appreciated.
As we did with the Luminary, we'd like to share our notes on the pre-production batches of the Synik. A pre-production batch (PPB) of any new design is ordered and completed by our production department prior to the new design being offered for pre-order.
The PPB is intended to:
- Serve as the first large-scale test of the efficiency of manufacturing the new design.
- Provide photo, review and employee loaner sample bags.
- Ship a small quantity of bags to a randomized selection of customers who place pre-orders. This will allow folks to post reviews and first thoughts and photos of a new design, which in turn may help other people decide whether a bag is right for them or not.
Please note that the design itself is tested and every detail finalized and approved by Tom, Nik, Lisa, and Fong long before the PPB is ordered. PPB bags are in no way “beta” or incomplete.
Notes From Our Synik 22 and Synik 30 Pre-Production Meetings
PPB Launch Meeting
- Any questions or issues with Bill of Materials?
- Open discussion with Irma
- Open discussion with Lisa/Fong
- Insights or instructions from designer + production engineers (Tom, Nik)
- Check Spacer Mesh cutting -- should these parts be die cut or not?
- Ask Lisa and Fong how the cut pieces are working.
- Ben to modify the drill hole positions on the shoulder strap die.
- A few marker notches / drill holes need to be added, a few removed.
- Double-check the consumption is looking accurate for the shoulder strap build.
Mike’s notes from the meeting. Includes feedback from Irma, Tom, Lisa, Fong, Mike, and Nik:
- Irma noted that the markers are laid out well for cutting -- no changes needed.
- Lisa is going to provide the laptop compartment zipper length for the Synik 22 (she's already done this for the 30.)
- This needs to be a cut zipper on both size bags.
- Note the special way the piping is folding at the bottom of the bag.
- Angle of the shoulder strap bartacks is 11°.
- 30mm webbing consumption will go up -- that is the material used to attach the stay to the frame. (Mike has already told Ben.)
- Interior Lash Straps will be same length as Tri-Star.
Interim PPB Check-Ins
- Notches: any to add, subtract, or move?
- Any issues with materials?
- Adjustments or corrections to BOM needed?
- Any problems with machines or tools?
- Any issues with ergonomics/ease of assembly?
- Any problems overall?
- Any feedback from the crew?
- Further discussion on the bartacks -- Lisa asked if they could all be the same length to improve efficiency. Nik confirms yes.
- Watch for Gatekeeper Waist Strap attachment on Synik 22 in QA -- that attachment webbing was lengthened but we need to check to confirm there is enough wiggle-room for entry and removal.
- Lisa is still working on whether and what changes she'd like to see.
- Synik 22 side notches may need a bit of nudging.
- All of the materials are good.
- Need to keep an eye on initial hand-cut foam parts.
- BOM is good. Note change to the cut length on the Gatekeeper waist strap attachment for the Synik 22.
- Machines and tools are working fine. No issues. Yay!
- The front panel is the same as Synapse so no issues on Fong's side. Extra time required in joining and binding on Lisa's side.
- Bartacks are all good.
- Tom and Nik met with Matt to go over kitting and packaging of the Syniks in the shipping department; all good.
PPB Final QA Review
- How did the bags go through QA?
- What questions did we ask and answer?
- Any final thoughts?
- Reminder from Lisa to double check the bartacks at the bottom of the bag -- one over the wing and one over the Gatekeeper attachment/frame opening.
- At final inspection: the bags all looked great.
- On the next batches give the label placement one final inspection. To be sure, to be sure.
- Velia and Lulu confirm QA went well. No questions.
- We shared that everyone who has received a Synik so far has been impressed by the quality of the work.