The Large Shepherd’s Wool Utility Cloth is a larger version of our Original Shepherd’s Wool Utility Cloth, and is simply lots more of a good thing.
Our original version of the Shepherd’s Wool Utility Cloth has been met with surprising enthusiasm, which has been very gratifying. Some folks loved it so much they wished for a larger size. And here we are.
So, liking as we do to make wishes come true when we can, we talked to the mill in Scotland and they explained that, because of the width of their looms (and therefore the width of the fabric), the next reasonable size up would need to be *twice* the size of the original. (They had been yielding two Shepherd’s Cloths across the width of the fabric: next step up is *one*.) That’s twice the width *and* twice the length, so the whole thing ends up being four times the surface area.
Which makes the large size Shepherd’s Cloth a lot more of a good thing and functionally very different from the original size. Worn around the neck as a kerchief, it becomes really more of a shawl; you can also fold it longways into fourths and wear it as a loose 52” x 13” / 132 x 33 cm scarf. As a travel blanket it will cover four times as much of the napper as will the original, more seriously placing it truly in the “blanket” category. Similarly, as a table cloth or picnic blanket, the large size covers four times the area, though we cannot guarantee you’ll have four times as much fun.
The Shepherd's Wool Utility Cloth hand washes easily and dries quickly; wash it in the hotel sink with a tiny bit of soap, hang it, and it'll be dry before you know it. Dry cleaning is fine too. Please don't machine wash -- and never machine dry -- your Shepherd's Wool Utility Cloth.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- Emily K.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Compact, Durable, High Quality Craftsmanship6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Compact, Durable, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 5 starsSoft and warm!
I purchased this to keep in my Pop Tote. I had the chance to use it this week on a 22 hour trip on Amtrak. It kept me warm and cozy all night. It’s lightweight, and folds up really small too. The quality and softness of the weave is excellent. It’s like a high quality sheet set only it’s wool! I really am happy I purchased this, I’ll be using it every chance I get.Was this helpful?
- Hilary C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Great Gift2 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, Great GiftRated 5 starsEvery other cloth is awful
I have been gifted 3 different cloths. They are nice colors, but they are the wrong shape or the wrong material. I hate covering myself from head to toe while I sit in a cold church building and still being unable to stay warm. I almost didn't buy this utility cloth. It's expensive. But I got tired of being cold, so I finally bought it. And then I used it. And now I don't want to go anywhere without it. I can stay warm! I have started carrying it along with me in my Grab Bag. It fits in there along with my small knitting project and I have room to spare. I like being prepared. This cloth is lovely and useful and perfect. What more could I ask for?Was this helpful?
- Gay Lynn F.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Finishings, Versatile, Good Storage Size, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Finishings, Versatile, Good Storage Size, Comfortable, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 5 starsExcellent quality
This was a excellent quality and a great addition to my traveling. I’ve already received many compliments and it just the correct size.Was this helpful?
- Jerry J.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful DesignRated 5 starsA great cloth
This is a great cloth as it is easy to fold and unfold, can cover just about anything or on which can be placed items or persons. Good work, Tom.Was this helpful?
- Sharyl C.Verified BuyerBought For GiftProduct Standouts Great Gift, Unique, High Quality Craftsmanship, Versatile7 months agoBought For GiftProduct Standouts Great Gift, Unique, High Quality Craftsmanship, VersatileRated 5 starsGlasgow Tartan utility cloth
This was a birthday gift for my daughter who lives in Upstate New York, with cold snowy winters. She loves the utility cloth. Nice and warm and “snuggery”!Was this helpful?