This bag is an excellent example of Tom doing his thing: watching how people use a bag, and figuring out how to improve that experience.
The Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack basically replaces/serves as a Large Packing Cube: it's designed specifically to fit the main compartment of our Aeronaut 30 convertible travel bag, but works well in the Techonaut 30, and A45 or T45. It helps you organize and compress your clothes inside of your larger travel bag, maximizing the space inside of your travel bag and keeping your clothes neat and less prone to wrinkles.
When you arrive at your destination and turn it right side out, the Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack all but sprouts wings and flies. A small top compartment appears, adding four liters of storage space—great for your camera, lunch or other smaller items. This compartment also has a flat front pocket with a diagonal zipper for storing quick access items: sunglasses, lip balm, sunscreen. Into the 10 liter main, lower “cube” part of the pack will go your bulkier items like books, a sweater, and rain coat. Depending on the size of your water bottle, you may choose to store it in either compartment.
Included with the Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack is a fully-removeable 1” / 25mm Gatekeeper Waist Strap: if you don't like or don't use the waist strap, remove it and leave (almost) nothing behind.
You may want to hang on to that waist strap, however, as it's an essential component in transforming the Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack into a waist pack or sling bag: inside-out the whole pack into the top compartment, attach the waist strap to the webbing loops sewn into the side seams, and secure the bag around your waist or wear it cross-body. (Note that the empty main “cube” portion of the pack will now be scrunched up inside this top pouch/waist pack, so it won’t quite have all four liters of volume available to store your stuff.)
The waist pack or sling mode is useful if you’re headed out for some shopping: as you accumulate food or souvenirs or what-have-you, you can right-side-out the whole thing again, giving yourself the full backpack to carry your treasures back to where you're staying. Or, if you depart in the cold morning hours for a hike carrying the Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack in waist or sling pack mode, you might like having the space to stow your peeled-away layers in the full pack as the day warms.
The Aeronaut/Techonaut Packing Cube Backpack features a 1” / 25mm webbing carrying/hanging loop on top, simple 2” / 50mm webbing shoulder straps and a removable (in this case think also dual-function) 1” / 25mm webbing waist belt. It does not feature a padded back, a padded hip-belt, an internal frame, nor a solar-powered convective cooling unit.
- Phillip S.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Unique3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, UniqueRated 5 starsMy EDC work pouch.
I’m finding this to be my most important EDC item! Loving the interior attachment rings and it’s light weight.
- Joanna V.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, Versatile3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Sewn in USA, Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, High Quality Finishings, VersatileRated 5 starsSo many uses
Using it as a packing cube for techonaut 45. Love that I can use as a day bag when I get to my destination. Great quality!
- David B.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, Durable6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, High Quality Craftsmanship, Compact, DurableRated 5 starsExtremely useful albeit with a minor drawback
The Packing Cube Backpack is great to bring along on trips where you need a day pack without the bulk. The backpack itself is a little on the floppy side when empty, but it's not a big issue once it's on your back. One minor drawback (and this is indicated in the description) is that in packing cube mode, quite a bit of space is taken up by the lower part of the backpack that gets stuffed into the inside-out upper part. Minor concern, but be aware that you'll be losing some volume.
- Ryan G.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Versatile, High Quality Craftsmanship6 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Thoughtful Design, Versatile, High Quality CraftsmanshipRated 5 starsHow to be versatile
Easy to separate import things from bulk items. Fits well into my larger bags. Easy to go from all of my gear to the essentials for a specific task. At first I was skeptical but now I understand the engineering of Tom Bihn
- Carla C.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, Compact4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, Thoughtful Design, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, CompactRated 5 starsThe perfect not so little backpack
Thanks was pleasantly surprised at how much stuff you can fit in this thing. I used it as a packing cube first, than as a small cross body bag. It fit the keys, wallet, and H2O bottle, as the day went on it became a backpack for all the stuff I accumulated during my day.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.