The Paragon is a simple and classic 20L backpack that is perfect for everyday use.
- Horizontal zippered flat front pocket for your quick-access items (comes with Key Strap)
- Interior zippered pocket (comes with O-ring) in the main compartment
- Padded back panel with built-in laptop pocket (comes with 2 O-rings)
- Comfortable, durable, edgeless shoulder straps
- 1"/25 mm webbing hanging loop/handle
- Removable sternum strap and waist belt
The Paragon is an updated version of a backpack design made by Tom back in the 1970s. Classic rectilinear shape with radius corners, horizontal zippered front pocket, flapped zippers, and not a whole lot else going on, which is what some folks love about this design. Folks who love our Daylight Backpack but want some laptop protection, a padded back, and replete-with-comfort shoulder straps will appreciate this pack.
Horizontal Zippered Front Pocket
The horizontal zippered front pocket is spacious enough to store your cellphone, wallet, and/or a small tablet. There's also a Key Strap attached to an O-ring inside this pocket, which is perfect for attaching an organizational pouch like the Clear Organizer Pouch, Double Organizer Pouch, or Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch.
Main Compartment With Built-In Laptop Pocket + Interior Zippered Pocket
Inside the main compartment are 2 O-rings and a minimalist built-in padded laptop compartment. It's a straightforward pouch of the same foam laminate that we use to make our Caches. It's able to fit laptop models like the 16" Macbook Pro and the Dell XPS 17" (see laptop fit guide for more details). Even if you decide not to carry your laptop, the compartment provides additional padding for your back. There's also an interior zippered pocket in the main compartment with another O-ring.
Edgeless Shoulder Straps
Conformity is overrated — except, perhaps, when it comes to shoulder straps. The edgelessness of this new strap allows it to more softly conform to your shoulder — we (and most people who have worn these straps) find that this increases comfort. Yet the straps aren't too soft: the 1/2" thick EVAZOTE® OEKO-TEX® certified foam means the strap is robust enough to carry a heavy load.
Durable Materials + Expert Construction
No bag lasts forever, but choosing the best and most durable materials and taking care not to abuse it (no washing machine or dryer!) can help a quality bag serve most people well (with maybe a repair or two) for up to 10-20 years.
This bag requires significant skill to sew and construct; it's not just any sewing factory who can pull this off and do it well, it's ours, and it's because of the talent of our crew. They're the reason why our designs can be made in an ongoing practical fashion.
Choosing an Exterior Fabric
You like choices and we like to give you choices! That's why the Paragon is typically available* in two different exterior fabrics. Our Materials Glossary explains each fabric in great detail, but here are some quick facts that may help you decide which to choose. And we're always here if you have questions: email@example.com
- plain weave with 1/4” / 6mm ripstop
- 400 denier type 6 filament nylon (base fabric); 420 denier ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene ripstop grid
- light urethane
- Made in:
Choose this fabric if
- You want a lighter weight alternative to traditional nylon fabrics that has remarkable tear strength and good abrasion resistance.
- You're looking for a fabric with a modern, "technical" appearance.
- You have pets: 400d Halcyon doesn't collect pet hair, reducing your monthly lint roller costs.
- 2x2 “ballistic” weave
- 525 denier type 6,6 (high tenacity) filament nylon, twisted
- heavy urethane
- Made in:
- South Korea with Canadian yarn
Choose this fabric if
- You want your bag to be soft and supple yet tough as nails.
- You want a fabric that's stately enough to be at home at work, the mountains, or a nice hotel.
- You don't want your bag to collect pet hair or abrade your clothing.
Sewn in Seattle
Our bags are designed and sewn right here in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
That allows us to be control freaks in the best way possible; we have direct control and oversight of the quality of our materials, our products, and the jobs and working environment that we help create. It also offers us a unique spontaneity: when we have an idea for a new product or accessory, we can design it, figure out how to build it, add it to our website and be ready to ship it out our front door all within just a few weeks. How cool is that?
Intrigued? You can find out more about the unusual way we do business on our Company Philosophy page.
THE BIHN Guarantee
Everything you buy from us here at TOM BIHN is satisfaction guaranteed. We’ve been in business since 1972 and we stand behind what we make.
If something goes wrong and it's our fault, we'll fix it for free. Repairs due to normal wear and tear or due to other things that are not our fault will be performed, when possible, at a reasonable charge right here in our Seattle factory where your bag was made. Defects in materials or workmanship are uncommon and almost always evident while the product is still new. Keep in mind that bags and packs are often subject to extreme wear in everyday use: do not expect them to last forever. Only true love lasts forever! You can expect a TOM BIHN product to give years and years of hard service.
- Alan L.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Compact, Durable, Comfortable4 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Compact, Durable, ComfortableRated 5 starsParagon Defeats Wizz Air and Conquers Romania, Italy, Monaco & Switzerland!!!!
Currently using my new TB Paragon on a 5 week trip to Romania, Italy, Monaco and Switzerland.
The bag is awesome!! Wore long pants, tee shirt and a light jacket. Packed 2 pairs of shorts, 3 tee shirts, sleep wear (tee shirt and shorts) 2 pairs of quick dry socks, 2 quick dry underwear, 3 TB Clear Packing Cubes (1 for tech, 1 as my 3-1-1 for liquids, and 1 for First Aid/Toiletries), a small book (a Bible), and finally my MacBook Air. All fit with no problems!!
And though the specs say the Paragon is too big to fit in the Wizz Air budget sizer (similar to Ryan Airlines), the lack of a frame sheet meant is squeezed right in!! (see photo)
I also included a photo of me and the Paragon at the beach at Monte Carlo, Monaco and me at Lugano, Switzerland
Thank you TB and Staff!! This new Paragon is perfect for one bag minimalist international travelingTBTOM BIHN4 months ago
Awesome pictures and sounds like an amazing trip! Thank you for sharing!
- William F.Verified BuyerBought For OtherProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Good Storage Size, Easily Adjustable5 months agoBought For OtherProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, Good Storage Size, Easily AdjustableRated 5 starsLove this bag!
The material is great. It’s lightweight but really durable!
Love the classic look without it being usual. So glad I purchased it. I have NEVER been disappointed by a BIHN product.
One design suggestion ( as if !!!) I would have loved a zipper on both the top and bottom of the interior pocket. When it’s open and flips down, it would be handy to unzip when it’s in that position.
- JOHN D.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, Durable3 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Sewn in USA, High Quality Finishings, DurableRated 4 starsThe almost perfect backpack
I wanted a simple, well-made, and “adult-looking” backpack with a built-in pocket for my new Macbook Air … and the Paragon did not disappoint. The silhouette is appealingly streamlined and the usual Tom Bihn attention to detail and quality workmanship is apparent throughout. I do wish there were a water bottle pocket, which seems like it would be a simple addition to either or both sides, but I knew I wouldn’t be getting one when I ordered, My biggest gripe, and the reason why I’m knocking a star off this review, is the interior zippered pocket, which is unexpectedly and weirdly shallow - it’s fine for holding a few pens and maybe a lip balm or three, but it’s barely deep enough to hold a laptop power adapter or even a couple of cables and an external power bank. Even an extra inch or so would make it more useful.
- Lindsey W.Verified BuyerBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, Versatile, Good Storage Size8 months agoBought For MyselfProduct Standouts Comfortable, High Quality Craftsmanship, Made in USA, Versatile, Good Storage SizeRated 5 starsPerfect
This bag is a fantastic everyday bag--small enough not to weigh you down, large enough to hold a substantial amount of stuff. The design is very sleek. This bag would be a good fit for you if you want something that feels substantial & high-quality, but you don't need the built-in organization or larger size of the Synapse backpacks.
The one thing I wish I could change is the interior zip pocket at the top of the main compartment. This would be a lovely feature, especially for holding small valuables like a wallet, but if you put anything too heavy in it, it makes the front of the bag sag down and it tends to flop onto the floor.
- OrganicfarmerVerified Buyer1 year agoRated 5 stars“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
The Paragon, when I saw it fit perfectly to the quote “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
I like the simplicity. Paragon is 76% lighter than the Synik 22 of similar capacity. A relatively high capacity to exterior dimension utilization ratio. Laptop compartment uses the padded back panel and a simple padded divider than easily floats out of the way of the main compartment. Main compartment can fit a a large packing cube and other accessories on top. A small internal pocket large enough for passport and small items. A front pocket that fits a tablet, organizer, or other items. A degree of pickpocket deterrence with the covered zippers hiding the zipper slides. Add in dimensions that are near several airline personal item size, good weight to capacity ratio, minimal pocketry, packs flat when empty, and user can keep it simple or add complex organization. Take it to your home office or across the world. Many may call it simple, but that is where its beauty lies.