Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By autolycus
  • 1 Post By autolycus
  • 1 Post By jannilee

Thread: Rome pass and Muze (Istanbul) pass?

Rome pass and Muze (Istanbul) pass?

Has anyone used these passes when sightseeing in these two cities? I'm a bit overwhelmed with things I have to do for our trip and would appreciate any feedback on what they are good for, whether they are worth it when traveling with kids (ages 10 and 6), etc. etc. (I started looking on the RomaPass site but somehow ended up on the Italian-only page and couldn't figure out which attractions were included. I'm sure it's perfectly obvious, but I'm just flummoxed right now!) Thanks for any guidance!

(I have a Rome guidebook for families, and DH and I have been to Rome/Italy before, so we're not really flying blindly - mainly just figuring out if/how the passes reduce the waiting in lines.)

I used the Roma pass. Since the first 2 sites are free i planned to use it first for the colosseum and one other. As iremember the discount for the other sites was not that much. It was helpful to have the transit pass. It was hard to find where to pick up the pass. It is in termini. As you face the end of the tracks where you board the trains with your back to the main station entrance it is on the right hand side and i think you have to access it from outside the station.

I did not get the Istanbul pass because you would have to visit many sites in one day and we had already visited most of them as part of our tour. We did get rechargeable transit cards and they made life much easier. Ask at the hotel where to get a card near you as it is not at all obvious where to get them.

Thank you so much!! When you say transit passes - do you mean for going from one tourist site to another? Traveling from your hotel to the historic areas? Or for traveling between towns/cities?

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Thank you so much!! When you say transit passes - do you mean for going from one tourist site to another? Traveling from your hotel to the historic areas? Or for traveling between towns/cities?
    The Roma pass used to (don't know if it still does) include a ticket/card for unlimited public transportation (subway and bus) within Rome for, I think, 3 days from the first use of the card--either for transit or at a museum/sight. I'd recommend checking out what Rick Steves says about the Roma Pass's value.

When I was in Rome a few years ago, it worked out quite well, but prices and benefits may have changed since then. We used the subway a bunch of times, used one of the admissions for the ancient sites (coliseum, palatine hill and forum are all a single "museum"), and the other for the city museum near Termini. The city museum was very good, IMO, and well worth it, especially on a rainy day. You can get the Roma Pass at just about any Tabac (aka tobacco/news stand) in town, and I believe at any of the sites that participate. If you're arriving by plane, there's probably a stand at the airport. If arriving by train, I know you can get it at several places in Termini.
    haraya likes this.

Thank you!! So the Vatican is not included in the pass? (I'm not actually sure the kids will appreciate that tour... still deciding. ) Good to know we can get the pass once we arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Thank you!! So the Vatican is not included in the pass? (I'm not actually sure the kids will appreciate that tour... still deciding. ) Good to know we can get the pass once we arrive!
    The Vatican Museum(s) were not participating a few years ago. I'd be shocked if they ever do. They are, after all, owned and operated by an entirely other country and the Catholic Church. If you do the Vatican, I would probably go with a guide. It's overwhelming and easy to miss important stuff. It's not terribly interesting for little ones, but you might think its worth dragging them along for yourself. And reward them with some gelato. Everyone loves gelato.

Thanks, good point autolycus! I like the idea of a guide. I've been thru the Vatican myself, but a long time ago. Might be worth it for the kids, anyway. And gelato,I love gelato! We should all get a reward!

If you love gelato, check out palazzo del freddo, gelato fassi at principe Eugenio 65. It is close to termini. We had supper there twice - all geltato supper -mmmm. Large servings and it is fun to watch families and friends meeting there. There are tables in a large room so you can have sit down gelato.
    Last edited by jannilee; 08-05-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    haraya likes this.

Delicious!! We'll keep an eye out, thanks!!

Haraya,

I'll be in Istanbul with family in mid-September for 2 short days (only 1 full day) on our way to Italy. I'm wondering if you (or anyone on the forum) can recommend a hotel in Rome? Yes, it's late to book; this is the one piece of the puzzle that I've let go. BTW, great tips otherwise on this forum!

Any hotel ideas (mid-range)?

Hi Holly! Apologies for the slow reply, I hadn't checked this thread recently. Did you want an Istanbul hotel or Rome?

Istanbul - we stayed at the Best Western Citadel, a bit higher-range but it was the kids' first time in Europe so we wanted them to have a somewhat predictable experience. However, my mom just booked a couple of nights at another hotel (midrange) in the same area, so I'll let you know in a few days how she liked it. In the same neighborhood (Sultanahmet, right by the Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque etc) we've also walked past the Eternity hotel, Premist, the Ottoman Hotel Imperial (great restaurant!), Hotel Armada, and HotelMegara Palace. Hotels rec'd in the Rick Steve guidebook: Romantic Hotel, Hotel Valide Sultan.

Rome: We'll be at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere for part of our trip. For the other part, we couldn't get a good hotel rate on short notice, so we're trying out VRBO. I'll let you know how we like our accommodations!

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Haraya,

I'll be in Istanbul with family in mid-September for 2 short days (only 1 full day) on our way to Italy. I'm wondering if you (or anyone on the forum) can recommend a hotel in Rome? Yes, it's late to book; this is the one piece of the puzzle that I've let go. BTW, great tips otherwise on this forum!

Any hotel ideas (mid-range)?
    Last edited by haraya; 08-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.

I hope I'm not breaking any Forum rules, but the best place to get information of that type is the Italy section at......

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum

There's a very well travelled group there, and I'm sure you'll get lots of good tips.

Holly - did you book your Rome stay yet? I can highly recommend the VRBO property we rented - steps from the Colosseum, beautifully appointed, with a super-helpful host. PM me if you would like the property number. We also liked the place (Hotel Santa Maria) we stayed at the night before we flew home from Rome. It's in Trastevere - just a little further from the sights, but in a cool neighborhood.

Circling back to the original post, we did the Muze pass in Istanbul, as well as a two-day pass in Rome for the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill, as mentioned by autolycus above.. Be sure to check what is covered by the pass, we didn't realize that the Forum & Palatine are considered one attraction, so we used our entry for the Forum and couldn't do the P. Hill the next day. (That is, we should've done the Colosseum on one day, and the Forum/PH on the next day, rather than the Colosseum & Forum together.)

And we ordered the tickets for the Vatican Museums online. I will say that - especially traveling with young children - each of the passes were no great savings on cost, but the savings in time by not having to wait in line for tickets was invaluable.

I highly recommend the Family Tour audio guide for the Vatican museums (kept our 10- and 6-yo engaged for three hours, no small feat in a crowded art museum! You can rent it at the museum, or pre-order it online when you order tickets), and the DK Eyewitness Family guidebook for Rome. Also, gelato. Lots and lots of gelato. But never, ever eat at a cafe or restaurant directly across from a famous sight, no matter how tired you are. Molto costoso!!
    Last edited by haraya; 08-23-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0