Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By greyhundr
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By kgm

Thread: Tips for Staying Healthy on a Flight

Tips for Staying Healthy on a Flight

Flying always gives me the heebie-jeebies. Here are some useful tips from NPR to keep in mind while in flight. (Not sure if I'm more or less anxious now after reading it though )

Pathogens On A Plane: How To Stay Healthy In Flight : Goats and Soda : NPR
    K9TB and eWalker like this.

Thankfully I'd read similar articles before my recent long-haul flight, so I took a few extra precautions such as wiping down my seat-back tray with an antibacterial wipe (and even then not putting food on the tray surface, just in case), and using wipes instead of the sink to clean my hands after using the toilet. I also bought bottled water after security - I'd never touch airplane water. As a result the worst I suffered was jetlag - definitely no bugs!

(I shall remember the tip about the air vent, though - just in case I'm unlucky enough to sit close to someone with an infection next time!)
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

kgm
    It may be overkill, but I wipe down the tray and the latch to put it down, armrests, seatbelt buckles, the air vent and light controls, and the seatbacks. I always feel weird doing it, but it makes me feel better.

Anything I put in the seat back goes into a washable, re-usable bag first. This also helps to avoid leaving small things behind. I always use hand sanitizer after washing my hands in the airplane bathroom and I always use a paper towel to open the bathroom door--I just throw it away when the flight attendants come around for trash.
    eWalker likes this.

I think its good to do that for peace of mind...but catching something might not be too common...I dont know..hubby used to be an airline pilot for many years and he is not known for his great hygiene practise (he smirks at my alcohol wipes) and he never caught anything...maybe he was used to the bugs I dont know.
    An important factor in staying healthy is also to keep your fluids up (not alcohol) and keep moving...doing little exercises and having breaks walking along the isles..this is always my worry...blood clots. Apart from my ear problems...I cannot tolerate the air pressure very well and get ear infections, so I use those airplane screw type silicone ear plugs...they help a bit...regulating the airpressure in a slower way.
    But still I always have to start using nasal spray like otrivine before flying...I am glad I dont have to fly a lot anymore..my nomadic travel years are over I think...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0