Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Off to Seattle! Got tips?

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    How old are your kids?
    They'll be 7 and 9 at the time of the trip. Boys.

Depending on their interests.....

1. A car ferry ride from Seattle to Bainbridge Island and lunch in Winslow. It will be a little late to see our local orca pod, I think. As you pull out of Coleman Dock in Seattle, you get a peek at the huge container port next door.

2. The EMP (Experience Music Project)--a mind blowing museum and hands-on activities for all ages

3. Right next door, the Space Needle--you can ride to the top and see forever. AND the Children's science museum--very cool, AND the Chihuly Glass Museum and Garden. I think of this as for adults first, but your
    kids are of an age that they will find the huge and other-worldly glass structures awesome.

4. Woodland Park Zoo--quite lovely for a city zoo. We have a batch of baby jaguars, Sumatran tigers, and snow leopards this year.

5. The aquarium--which has a modest number of indoor tropical fish exhibits, but wonderful exhibits of our local sealife AND strolling along the waterfront.

6. If you visit the REI flagship store, there is a very large climbing wall. If interested, you should call them for particulars when you're in town. I've seen adults and kids alike climbing it.
    REI is a recreational equipment cooperative, famous in this country.

7. Canoe rides near the Washington Arboretum.

Hope this helps. If I think of more, I'll post tight away so you can mount your campaign.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

@nathant4, depending on where you are on the Olympic Peninsula, the Hoh Rainforest is amazing with its gigantic trees, or you can see some nice views and/or hiking on Hurricane Ridge. The coast there also has an amazing rugged beauty.

If you make it to the REI flagship store, you may also want to check out Feathered Friends down the block for locally made down gear.

@JLE, while I have not done it, the Ride the Ducks tours seems to be a popular way to get a city overview IF you are not averse to a more noisy tour.

And for anyone who does the Seattle Underground tour, that is very near Smith Tower, which has great city views and is generally less busy and less expensive than the Space Needle...though now that the Seattle Great Wheel is on the waterfront, that may be another alternative for views of both Mt Rainier and the Olympic Peninsula on a clear day.

For active folks with some active energy, renting a kayak or paddleboard on Lake Union on a warm day can be a fun way to see everything from the houseboats to Gasworks Park, see many boats out and about, mixed with the occasional commuter planes landing on the water. Just be aware that there are some currents with all the boats, so it may end up being more of a workout than you imagined!

For the food and other tours, sometimes good discounts are available on Groupon and Livingsocial - I have even seen the city Segway tours listed there.

Ditto on @Monkeylady's EMP suggestion - they have more than just music exhibits and some neat interactive experiences.

And I wholeheartedly agree with @itsablur about the amazing food, especially fresh fish, local foods, and Asian food. You will not go hungry here!

One last thing for anyone here for a longer period of time. It can be a nice day outing to take the Victoria Clipper over to either San Juan Island (US) or over to Victoria, BC (Canada, so bring your passport) to see Butchart Gardens or go for afternoon tea at the Fairmont Hotel or another alternative.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-09-2014 at 07:30 AM.

@JLE,

I have the same question mentioned earlier - how old are your children?

One place that I would definitely recommend visiting in Seattle is the incredible The Museum of Flight Aviation History, Airplane and Spacecraft Collections, Aerospace Library, Education and Research Center | The Museum of Flight. I've been there several times and never get tired of wandering around. It's located on the south end of Seattle and I believe not far from the TB factory showroom!

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    @JLE,

One place that I would definitely recommend visiting in Seattle is the incredible The Museum of Flight Aviation History, Airplane and Spacecraft Collections, Aerospace Library, Education and Research Center | The Museum of Flight. I've been there several times and never get tired of wandering around. It's located on the south end of Seattle and I believe not far from the TB factory showroom!
    Thanks to @Monkeylady and @NWhikergal for great suggestions. But @Duster wins the prize for coming up with an attraction that (a) my husband will think is unmissably cool; and (b) is in reasonable proximity to TB!

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    You betcha!
    Are you from the Midwest originally, taminca? I just got back from Minnesota and there were loads of souvenirs featuring this popular phrase
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Thanks to @Monkeylady and @NWhikergal for great suggestions. But @Duster wins the prize for coming up with an attraction that (a) my husband will think is unmissably cool; and (b) is in reasonable proximity to TB!
    Ditto on thanks for the great suggestions!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Are you from the Midwest originally, taminca? I just got back from Minnesota and there were loads of souvenirs featuring this popular phrase
    Nope. But I have a few friends who are and got it from osmosis Hope your visit was fun!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

The most favorite among my "guys" (ages 3, 6, and 9) is the gum wall in the lower area of the market...it totally grosses me out, but they beg to visit it every time. As long as you are right there...the flying fish (fish market) and the pig are also regular stops. They also like the boat works at Lake Union and the Troll under the bridge in Fremont (If you are into geocaching international HQ is closeby)...what can I say? It does gain me bargaining power for time at the TB store....:-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

This thread has perfect timing! I will be visiting Seattle in mid-late August - will definitely be checking some of these ideas out!

The Ballard Locks and the fish ladders are also an interesting place to visit in Seattle. A wide variety of marine traffic passes through the locks.
    Last edited by bunchgrass; 07-09-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Super Moderator
    Some great tips above, some of which I need to integrate into my personal list. In hopes that might be interesting, here it is:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I haven't lived in Seattle for too long now, so I know some of the info in there is dated (honestly labeled!), but I certainly hope to end up there again.

I don't know how to post a double quote, so, I cut and paste them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    @JLE,

Now, are there any B&B or hotels within public transport routes, not far from those two location?

How easy it is to get from the museum/TB area to Olympic National Park and great dinning popular with the locals, like that out of this world donut place with weird flavors and other places when it is easy to get something to go if this is too crowded.

I think those popular places are east of the touristy places, which I would rather avoid.

I would like to visit the flagship independant book store Elliott Bay Book and Daniel Smith stationery or another stationery store, if there is more than one with nice selection, especially, selling fountain pens.

I also want to visit Orcas island.

It would be good if the place to stay had a little fridge to keep the to go items for the next meal.

If you're looking for a place to stay, might I recommend looking on AirBnB https://www.airbnb.com/ - I know there are lots of listings in Seattle, and that way, you can stay someplace other than the touristy areas (which is where you'd find a hotel), plus they're likely to have a fridge for your leftovers.

@Timothy, your paper is very clever and funny!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0