Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Electronic devices which won't power up to be banned from flights

I am concerned about having to power up and having to be mindful of leaving a little charge or always carrying/not losing my chargers.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for the airport industry to push for universal chargers/connectors on portable electronic devices. Then there could be a charging station as we go through security, and we would have to plug in at that station and get a yes/no signal to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I am concerned about having to power up and having to be mindful of leaving a little charge or always carrying/not losing my chargers.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for the airport industry to push for universal chargers/connectors on portable electronic devices. Then there could be a charging station as we go through security, and we would have to plug in at that station and get a yes/no signal to proceed.
    More charging points for airport checks - Telegraph

It looks like your wish is already granted, GoStanford. Hopefully more airports around the world follow suit.

ETA: Argh... I wasn't reading carefully and totally misunderstood your post, GoStanford, please ignore the dumb reply >.<"
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Colour me cynical, but I can't see that happening, and certainly not through the airport industry's say-so. Apple redesign their own devices' charger/data sockets every few years, and I can't see them falling into line with Samsung et al over a policy that could be here today, gone tomorrow.

In any case, most small devices now have (or can use) a USB charger cable, and planes and airports are gradually getting fitted with USB power outlets to accommodate them. As long as you carry such cables and avoid devices that don't have a USB option, you should be future-proofed for the foreseeable.

(Laptops are a different matter, of course, since they need much more power than a USB socket can provide, but you'd be daft to travel without a charger and plug adaptors for all the countries you are visiting!)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

The USB Battery Charging spec is already an international spec and is basically the accepted standard for everyone except Apple.

Edit -- On another note, I personally would be worrying about things other than phones, like electric razors, external battery packs, hair clippers, and the like. If I were looking for something that had batteries and a lot of space for "other stuff" in it, I'd be looking at more voluminous things than cell phones.
    Last edited by jeff; 07-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Pre-9/11 I had to power up my laptop on several occasions while going through airport security in different countries. This stretches far enough back to laptops with a maximum of 2 hours of battery power, long boot ups (Windows XP and prior) and puzzled security personnel that had not seen many laptops, Palm Pilots and the like.

I learned to a) always make sure all my devices are charged, as @Maverick mentioned in his post and b) never count on having access to charging on planes because of the funky regional or national airlines I flew on. Even if I head to the airport after a day of meetings, I always make sure that my apparatus (apparatuses?) are charged.

When I hear or read about yet another security measure, I like to go back to an interesting 2002 article from the Atlantic Monthly called Homeland Insecurity (https://www.theatlantic.com/past/doc...02/09/mann.htm). Put's things in perspective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0