Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Packing Cubes and Dirty Laundry

Packing Cubes and Dirty Laundry

About 15 years ago, I purchased a bunch of packing cubes (another brand). I found that as I use up the clean clothes from the packing cubes, the half empty cubes loose shape and the whole advantage of modular storage is less effective.

Then there's the dilemma of what to do with the dirty clothes. I've tried a dedicated dirty cube, used an end pocket, and also tried a dedicated laundry mesh bag, but still not satisfied with the solution.

Does anyone have a system that they really love?
    Janine and eWalker like this.

Stuff Sacks perhaps? Keep one inside each cube, move your dirty clothes into the stuff sack as you use them. that way they're separated, but still inside the same cube.
    Large ziplock bags work well too.

Or...if you dont want to dirty the stuff sacks or packing cubes you could just use an ordinary plastic bag.
    Walker and eWalker like this.

or put a ziplock bag into the stuffsack as lining..
    eWalker likes this.

I use two sided cubes if I really need to separate dirty from clean. Going out, I pack only one side and put the dirty clothes on the other as needed. My cubes have a mesh side (clean) and a solid side (dirty), but you could use the ziploc trick if you have only a mesh double sided cube.

I normally use a laundry bag during my trips (normally 3-4 days in length) to keep clean separated from dirty and repack all my dirty clothes at the end of my trip.
    Last edited by Aeon; 06-22-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    Or... just use an ordinary plastic bag.
    This is what I do. I save the soft produce plastic bags or plastic bag packaging of clothes (if they have holes) to repurpose for this use.
    eWalker likes this.

I use a dedicated laminated travel laundry bag that I bought a few years ago. Pre-trip I either pack it with clean clothes that get swapped out with dirty clothes as I go OR I just pack it flat (which is my typical choice). I like using a dedicated bag as it's easily identifiable so with a glance I know if I've packed it or not. I've seen similar bags at the Container Store and online; the ones at the Container Store are an improvement in that they have zippers (mine closes with a drawstring); they aren't cheap though. I also have a wet-dry bag that I use for camping and other 'roughing it' types of situations. The only reason I don't use this for my ultralight travel trips is that the buckle-fold over closure is a bit bulky.
    eWalker likes this.

For hotel trips I just unpack my packing cubes when I arrive and then pack the dirty laundry back into them before leaving. Then I wash everything when I get home.

Since I rarely over-pack on clothes, this works for me!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Holly, could you please post a link to the bag you use. I tried (unsuccessfully) to find something like you described on the Container Store web site. I'd really like to see what you use.
    Thank you,
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I use a travel laundry bag for longer trips similar to this one: FLIGHT 001 GO CLEAN Laundry Bag. It packs flat and I fill it as I go. It's a great small size to send out to be laundered from a hotel (usually paying by weight, by the kilo). Shorter trips, I use a double-sided Eagle Creak packing cube or would use two packing cubes and designate one for dirty (I may need to further designate between my steel PCs with a zipper pull). On a shorter trip if I end up feeling like I really need to separate dirty clothes and either didn't plan ahead or am traveling really light - hotel rooms often have a plastic laundry bag in the closet you can use. For smaller dirty clothes (like socks and unmentionables) a stuff sack works well.

I use a #4 stuff sack. It expands as the packing cube shrinks, and is somehow works out. Seems to be adequate for containing odors and other "dirtiness" if the clothing in it... also, I don't tend to put larger items in it (jeans), as then I would run out of space....

I have it in solar - so I can always find it

I use the double sided cubes but a ziplock inside a cube would work too. Since I do laundry as i go I never have many dirty clothes at one time.
    eWalker likes this.

Hi Moose,

This is the link to the wet/dry travel-sized laundry bag at The Container Store that I referred to. I bought mine (different brand) many years ago and I've never seen the same one again so this link is for the closest equivalent that I've found. I've never actually used the brand of laundry bag that I am linking to, so I can't speak to its quality or durability.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10032746

What is it about the solutions you've tried that don't work for you?

I bring a regular-size poly laundry bag (by Reisenthel; available at the Container Store) with me, as well as an over-the-door hook (here's another one; alternately, look for a Christmas tree wreath holder) to hang it on so it's always in plain sight but not on the floor. (Apparently there is now a travel-sized bag, but I haven't seen that one in person so I don't know the capacity.) The bags fold down very small and don't weigh much at all.

If I'm traveling with the rest of the family, I will bring multiple laundry bags, color-coded to each family member. Makes it easy if I want to wash a few things - I don't have to pull out all the clothes to figure out whose stuff is where. At the end of the trip I just stuff the whole bag, lumps and all, into my suitcase. Or, if space is constrained, I refold the dirty clothes and put them into the laundry bag (it's big enough that it conforms to the size of the bag/suitcase). Or I pack the clean clothes first, the lay down the laundry bag, then put the dirty clothes in a layer on top of the laundry bag.

And lastly, here is a pic of my current laundry bag. It's next to a small stuff sack to show scale.Name:  20140622_130326.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  724.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast