Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Packing Cubes and Dirty Laundry

I'm curious about this too--- I'm going on a research trip this coming week and I won't spend more than one night in one place-- it is a 10 day trip and I don't anticipate being able to do much laundry (aside from underwear) while on the road-- time will be very limited, basically I'll likely be traveling/doing research all day then checking into the hotel (very low budget hotels at that) and passing out and then leaving the next morning, so I'm trying to figure out how to segregate the dirty clothes from the clean clothes in my packing cubes in the most efficient way possible. Usually I stuff underwear into plastic bags (as it tends to get grossest) and then leave the used clothes inside out so I know what is clean versus dirty, but other ideas would be helpful.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    (Apparently there is now a travel-sized bag, but I haven't seen that one in person so I don't know the capacity.)
    @Haraya - This is the exact laundry bag I use. It's big enough for me to stuff all my clothes I would bring. So, the equivalent of an EC cube for clothes + a half cube for workout gear/undies/pjs.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Stuff Sacks perhaps? Keep one inside each cube, move your dirty clothes into the stuff sack as you use them. that way they're separated, but still inside the same cube.
    Large ziplock bags work well too.
    Just came back from a week at the beach, and this was my strategy. Worked wonderfully! I packed in my Synapse 25 - the main compartment had my laptop, two packing cube shoulder bags with my clothes, and a side effect with a smushed up travel tray and size 2 stuff sack inside. The side effect was useful as a small purse at my destination (when I wasn't carrying water), and I put my dirty clothes in the stuff sack. I ended up bringing more shirts than I really needed (5) so none were actually dirty enough for me to move them into the stuff sack - ultimately, it just had undies and my bathing suit in it when I packed up, which took up about half of one of the PCSBs. Wouldn't work as well if you accumulate more laundry, I think.
    eWalker likes this.

FYI---I've heard through the "Travel Goods" grapevine that some new double-sided type laundry bags may be announced in early summer.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    FYI---I've heard through the "Travel Goods" grapevine that some new double-sided type laundry bags may be announced in early summer.
    Be still my heart....
    moriond likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

keb
    I tend to do the unpack/repack thing. Sometimes I'll pack the dirty laundry in one compartment of my Aeronaut or WF and pack whatever clean clothes are left in a full fabric cube or end cube. As long as my clean clothes are clean and separate, dirty clothes seem to have a way of fitting wherever I need them to.
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Funny, I hadn't ever considered repacking the dirty stuff (refolding / rolling), but I can imagine how this keeps a bag organized. Much better than a growing laundry sack lump that I've dealt with in the past.

A two-compartment cube certainly sounds like a great solution. I can imagine a baffle type of divider would allow either side to grow or shrink without affecting the exterior cube dimensions. Hope something like this is in the cards!

I can imagine a baffle type of divider would allow either side to grow or shrink without affecting the exterior cube dimensions. Hope something like this is in the cards!

This is exactly what the current two sided cubes from another manufacturer are like. I too hope TB Makes something like that soon.

I'm a lumper; my packing style is more Aeronaut than Western Flyer or Tri-Star. Dirty laundy gets aired out overnight, then stuffed into a plastic bag, which gets stuffed into the travel bag.

I usually use garbage bag or the space bags. We just recently went on a cruise, I washed laundry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually pack so that I don't have very many clean clothes left over by the time I'm packing up for home, so I put the folded, dirty laundry in my large packing cube, and any extra clean stuff (usually a t-shirt, a pair of underwear, or other small items) in one of my smaller packing cubes along with my shoes (laying the clean clothes on the top side) or in the smaller packing cube with my toiletries in it. Dirty underwear and socks go in a large knitting stuff sack. So, what starts out as a large packing cube full of clean clothes turns into a large packing cube of dirty clothes for the return trip. I keep the dirty clothes in a separate drawer in the hotel room during my trip, or just toss them into my empty TB bag to re-pack before I leave.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Seems we were right on target with this pre-launch discussion about laundry bags!! Now we have the TB Travel Laundry Stuff Sack!

It was funny to see this product after all the discussion! Very clever idea. I like the concept but don't think I'll buy one right away. I have a lot of packing cubes and don't want to replace them or add yet another stuff sack because the collection is already out of control. Right now I use a nondescript, super-light orange sack as my laundry bag. It's a different color than all my other cubes so there is no change of confusing dirty with clean.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

For travel, I usually want my dirty clothes well away from my clean clothes, and I'm rarely as neat packing to go home as I am when headed out. So I probably just need a larger version of the regular stuff sacks. But I like the looks of the Travel Laundry SS for corralling workout gear, since I take everything out, wear it, and put it back in!

I use a kitchen trash bag. For those of you who simply put dirty clothes in one section of your luggage, do you wash your luggage too after you get home?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2