Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bags for an ERJ-145

  1. #16
    Registered User bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    545
    I get the feeling that on the really small planes, because so many people have to gate-check, they have a very efficient process to getting the luggage back out. Does the Sky Check cart go directly into the hold, or are the bags still loaded manually and then unloaded at the destination?

    Either way, due to my very short layover I'll stick to my plan to carry on, but I'll be interested to see the process.

    A spreadsheet comparing bags and airlines/planes would be great! I've never seen anything like that. I started my own list of the airlines I fly, with their published allowances, but to do a really comprehensive job would be a massive undertaking. It can get complicated. For instance, EasyJet has two sizes: one smaller set of dimensions that is guaranteed cabin space, no matter how crowded the flight, and another size for which you won't be charged a fee, but the bag could be gate-checked if the bins are full.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

  2. #17
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    A spreadsheet comparing bags and airlines/planes would be great! I've never seen anything like that. I started my own list of the airlines I fly, with their published allowances, but to do a really comprehensive job would be a massive undertaking. It can get complicated. For instance, EasyJet has two sizes: one smaller set of dimensions that is guaranteed cabin space, no matter how crowded the flight, and another size for which you won't be charged a fee, but the bag could be gate-checked if the bins are full.
    Also they keep changing aka tightening them - keeping such a spreadsheet up-to-date would be a full-time job! Not to mention that it depends on how full you pack your bag - s TS or WF can easily conform to the length and width limits but fail the depth limits if you pack them full.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I get the feeling that on the really small planes, because so many people have to gate-check, they have a very efficient process to getting the luggage back out. Does the Sky Check cart go directly into the hold, or are the bags still loaded manually and then unloaded at the destination?

    Either way, due to my very short layover I'll stick to my plan to carry on, but I'll be interested to see the process.

    A spreadsheet comparing bags and airlines/planes would be great! I've never seen anything like that. I started my own list of the airlines I fly, with their published allowances, but to do a really comprehensive job would be a massive undertaking. It can get complicated. For instance, EasyJet has two sizes: one smaller set of dimensions that is guaranteed cabin space, no matter how crowded the flight, and another size for which you won't be charged a fee, but the bag could be gate-checked if the bins are full.
    From experiences over the last few months domestically in the US, most places manually load and unload. As far as a sky check cart, those are usually only used at smaller airports or as Duster mentioned on smaller aircraft that are unable to use a jet bridge.

    One other issue that I've encountered is that sometimes people are waiting in the jet bridge for a long time just for somebody to go get the bags. I think some airports may be understaffed, especially during peak times... this of course, is just my opinion... but nonetheless, you can bet that if you're plane pulls up to a jet bridge that the bags will be manually unloaded from the plane and then either walked up to the jet bridge one or two at a time or sent up a conveyer belt one by one.

  4. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    728
    American Eagle used the carts at LGA for a long time since most passengers deplaned onto the tarmac and walked into the terminal. The carts themselves did not go into the hold.

    As far as a spreadsheet is concerned, do you mean something like this:

    Airline Carry-on Bag Policies - Airfarewatchdog
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

    Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

  5. #20
    Registered User nukediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Metuchen, NJ
    Posts
    375
    I've flown a lot of RJs in the last year and have either used my Co-Pilot with an Aeronaut or a Tri-Star. Not once did any gate agent even bat an eye as I headed toward the plane. Even with the bags stuffed, I was able to fit them in the overhead. Also, since most everyone else had to check their rollers, there was plenty of overhead space :-)

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  195.5 KB

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    @bchaplin,

    The "Sky Check" cart is a large wheeled cart with two levels of racks, located near the door of the plane in locations where passengers have to cross the tarmac to board. Passengers with larger carry-on items simply drop their bags on the cart on the way to the door and then board. When everyone is aboard, the ground crew wheel the cart a few feet to the door of the cargo hold and load the bags. When the plane arrives at destination, these bags are always first out of the hold and are placed on another cart which is then located near the door of the plane so passengers can grab their bags on the way to the terminal. Three of the airports I often use have this system (YLW / SEA / PDX) often with Q-400 or Dash 8 aircraft.

    I've also encountered a slight variation of this method in places where a Sky Bridge is used. In that case, the Sky Bridge is fitted with a small ledge and a door which opens to the runway. Any passengers wanting to use the Sky Cart service simply place their bags on the ledge and the ground crew takes them from there to the cargo hold. At the arrival airport, either a similar system is used with a door in the side of the Sky Bridge, or a Sky Check cart as described above if the passengers are deplaning on the tarmac.

    @Frank II,

    Yes, that's similar to what I had in mind, but I wondered if there was anything specific for TB bags. I agree, it probably would be a lot of work to keep the chart current. Maybe I'll try to work on something using just the dimensions of the bags (when I get some spare time).

  7. #22
    Registered User bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    American Eagle used the carts at LGA for a long time since most passengers deplaned onto the tarmac and walked into the terminal. The carts themselves did not go into the hold.

    As far as a spreadsheet is concerned, do you mean something like this:

    Airline Carry-on Bag Policies - Airfarewatchdog
    Wow - awesome. LOVE that chart, and the comments column, which tells you what the airlines do in practice, is very useful. @Frank II, on the Mac, for some reason I can not find a way to see the right column, which has the dimensions. The right sidebar covers it. Do you have a way around that?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

  8. #23
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @Frank II, on the Mac, for some reason I can not find a way to see the right column, which has the dimensions. The right sidebar covers it. Do you have a way around that?
    Ack, that's some crappy web design/testing (says the pro). I can get rid of the sidebar using FireBug, but it's not a technique for the non-techie user. However those tables are all images, so you can just right-click on them and open them in a new page or tab. I'd rather not post the images here as it's a flagrant breach of copyright, but I guess I could link to the image URLs?

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/t/ta/take2carryons1.png

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/t/ta/take2carryons2.png

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/t/ta/take2carryons3.png

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/c/ch/chart1.png

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/c/ch/chart2.png

    http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/c/ch/chart3.png
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Wow - awesome. LOVE that chart, and the comments column, which tells you what the airlines do in practice, is very useful. @Frank II, on the Mac, for some reason I can not find a way to see the right column, which has the dimensions. The right sidebar covers it. Do you have a way around that?
    I suggest you write to Airfarewatchdog and ask them. BTW, if you're not familiar with the website, you might want to follow them. They find all the best airfares and deals around.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

    Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

  10. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    239
    I should mention, as a follow-up, that USAir "encouraged" me to gate check my TriStar (reasonable thickness on the way there, and too thick on the way back) on recent short RJ flights. My wife was gate checking anyway, so I didn't bother trying to argue, but I'm sure it would have fit in the overhead on the way there and think it might have fit on the way back. USAir's customer service was, to be blunt, pretty awful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0