Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Flying with Kids

Oh yes, we loved our Radians! We recently graduated to boosters for at home use, and I still miss having those comfy car seats for car and airplane napping. I'll never forget that first time the kids tried to sleep on a flight without their car seats. It was a disaster! They've sort of figured how to manage at this point, but it was so nice to have that slight recline and 5 point harness when they were smaller.

Before we got our Radians, I hauled Britax Marathons on our travels. Talk about big and heavy. We took the Marathons to China, even though we knew we wouldn't be riding in cars with seat belts, just because I needed my 2 and 4 year olds to be able to sleep in their seat on the plane. 12 hours is so long! The GoGo Babyz wheelie thing was worth it's weight in gold with those heavy seats. I'd put the wheels on one, and stack the second seat on top. They aren't easy to install on planes, though, and I was so happy when we got the Radians!

We've never used the Kid Kares harness, but I've heard great stuff about it from other people.

I look forward to hearing what you decide, and hope you have a most excellent trip! Denver is such a kid friendly area!
    Janine and haraya like this.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    1. I hadn't thought of motion sickness. The kids have only barfed in the car once, and that was when the other parent drove them on a windy country road. I drove them on the same road and we were barf-free, so I'm blaming this one on Mr. Hot Rod and not the kids. But I will definitely talk to our pediatrician about motion sickness before we fly.
    If this hasn't been a problem before, I doubt it will be now. This is just a thing for my middle daughter; my other two are fine. Knock on wood.

As an aside, that "spot clean only" instruction on car seat fabric covers? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    As an aside, that "spot clean only" instruction on car seat fabric covers? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.
    OMG, yes. I've had a handful of barfed on or peed on car seat covers between my two kiddos. Spot cleaning just doesn't cut it. Thankful that my washing machine has been kind enough to not destroy the covers. <gag>
    --Amanda

It's been a while since I traveled with preschoolers. (Younger son turns 15 today.) I'd second the direct flight option. One flight is easier on little ears (fewer take-offs, landings, germ-ridden airports). It's a much longer day with a layover.

For travel to Colorado, I'd suggest packing chapstick and lotion and lots of sunscreen - or buy them while you're here. It's hot, sunny, and mostly dry in summer. Our kids used hats from REI. This year we seem to be getting more thunderstorms, so if that trend continues, you'll want a warm layer. Thunderstorms develop in the afternoon - they generally go quickly, but it can be cool as they go through. Of course, keep those kids hydrated.

PS Would love to join the Bihnion meetup in Denver, but I'll have a friend here from Uganda and won't be able to get away. Maybe I'll send you a photo so I can be represented. ;-)
    dorayme and Janine like this.

We just booked our flights. Whew!

Based largely on recommendations from you guys and obsessive review-reading on Amazon, I'm going to bring our car seats to use on the plane. I will be purchasing travel trolleys for the car seats. The one I'm looking at is made by the same company that makes the seats. The seats snap in with latch anchors and the kid can sit in the seat and get wheeled about in the airport if one wishes to do so. One of our kids is a runner so this makes me feel a little less anxious about wrangling two kids and luggage and carseats in the airport.

Speaking of luggage...I regret to say that I don't think this will be an all-Bihn trip. I'm going to check a rolling suitcase (I'm looking at the Ebags Mother Lode 25"). We can pack light, especially since we will have access to a washer/dryer at our destination, but I need the convenience of a single large checked bag to hold my clothes and my kids clothing. Two adults wrangling two little guys and carseats = not enough hands.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Your packing plan sounds like a good one to me! As the kids get older, it will get easier, and you'll be able to teach them to carry their own things. On our 2-wk trip to Rome in March, my 14yo son said, "Mom, backpacks only! Who needs wheels?"

It's good to have options. I rarely check a bag, but must take a 25" Ebags for my 2-week MFA residency. The compact fan and chiropractic pillow (in a space bag) are necessities. Got a bright purple bag, because life is too short to sort through black bags at the carousel.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Before the kids were big enough to carry/wheel their own bags, I always checked a single large rolling duffle bag with all of our stuff.
    --Amanda

Thanks! I'm glad that the big checked bag plan worked for your families - that helps me feel more confident about doing it!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

We're making plans to fly to Denver in the 2nd week of July. This will be a family trip: me, my husband, and my two 3-year-old boys. We've never flown with the kids before, so I can use every scrap of advice you want to toss my way.
    Everyone else is providing just fine suggestions. Let me instead tell you: you're way overthinking this. A flight (or two) from Lexington to Denver is nothing. You and the kids will do great. Bring an iPad filled with six hours of children's videos, sufficient snacks, and you're in business.

Trust me on this. Last year I, my wife, and our then 20 month old identical twin sons traveled DC -> SF -> Hong Kong -> Guangzhou -> Chongqing -> Hong Kong -> Macau -> Hong Kong -> SF -> DC -> Amsterdam -> Bologna -> DC over a two month period (those were significant stops, not layovers). A grand total of about 65 hours of flight time, plus a few trains and ferries. And the kids did great. This summer we're doing DC->Cologne->Bologna->DC, about 20 hours.

One item that did help us tremendously: we bought two The Shrunks TuckAire Inflatable Toddler Beds and the kids slept on them exclusively. Best money we spent the whole trip.
    Last edited by feijai; 05-28-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    PS Would love to join the Bihnion meetup in Denver, but I'll have a friend here from Uganda and won't be able to get away. Maybe I'll send you a photo so I can be represented. ;-)
    Yes! You can be our Flat Stanley! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by feijai View Post
    Everyone else is providing just fine suggestions. Let me instead tell you: you're way overthinking this. A flight (or two) from Lexington to Denver is nothing. You and the kids will do great. Bring an iPad filled with six hours of children's videos, sufficient snacks, and you're in business.
    My boys are, if I do say so myself, very well-behaved. I'm sure they will do great. I don't believe that I am "way overthinking" by asking for general advice, though. I was mainly concerned about making connections when one has a family in tow, but that issue isn't an issue any longer since we opted for a nonstop flight.

As for videos - not an option for the whole trip. We don't roll that way. I've got entertainment covered, though. Mom's bag of tricks is well-stocked. :-)
    haraya likes this.

My boys are, if I do say so myself, very well-behaved. I'm sure they will do great. I don't believe that I am "way overthinking" by asking for general advice, though. I was mainly concerned about making connections when one has a family in tow, but that issue isn't an issue any longer since we opted for a nonstop flight.

As for videos - not an option for the whole trip. We don't roll that way. I've got entertainment covered, though. Mom's bag of tricks is well-stocked. :-)
    I think it's a great idea to gather all this info ahead of time. I'm doing much the same thing for a summer trip with our 6- and 10-year-olds. You know your kids best and what will work for them. It's great too that you're incorporating multiple types of entertainment - to my mind, part of travel is learning how to be resilient, how to plan ahead, and how to entertain oneself during downtime or in challenging situations. Electronics are part of that equation but not the only thing. (And even then, I plan to put a lot of kids' books and even chess on our iPad!)

I've also realized that - as you probably already know - kids grow and change. Our oldest was a champion traveler through toddlerhood, whereas the younger one did poorly on trips. Now their roles are somewhat switched, where eldest gets messed up by transitions, and youngest is even-keeled but gets homesick faster.

All that to say - I wish you a smooth trip, and even if there are hiccups along the way, know that the next trip will probably be a little different!
    Janine likes this.

Happy to be Flat Bihnley, as long as y'all take me with you on all those other trips too!
    Janine likes this.

It sounds like you have got it all set! I'm sure you'll have a good flight and a great trip. Non-stops are best with kids, IMO. It keeps everyone corralled. I recently did a non stop flight from Ramstein AFB to BWI with 3 kids. The plane part was fine, it was the tsa and customs lines that were bad, mostly on the BWI end. I was able to one bag our stuff, but I did this knowing we had the luxury of laundry and mailing purchased things back, which we did. Here is my thread about it:

14 days, 3 children, 1 adult, 1 Aeronaut and a LCB
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    Oh my google. You are AMAZING!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast