Anyone flown on German Wings before?

They seem to have a 17.5lb carry on weight limit. I will likely be a bit over 20 lbs one bagging it. Wonder if anyone here has experience on that airline and how strict they are with carry on luggage. If they know I don't have a check in bag, could the hand carry be heavier than the posted limit? Not sure how this works since I'm one bagging internationally for the first time.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chautime View Post
    If they know I don't have a check in bag, could the hand carry be heavier than the posted limit?
    I've never heard of German Wings before, but I doubt they'll take that attitude. All the airlines I've flown with (within Europe and transatlantic) take the attitude that if your carryon bag exceeds their restrictions - whether that's size, weight or both - it has to be checked. How strictly they enforce it depends on the airline, the busy-ness of the flight, the ground crew's mood that day, the phase of the moon...

Basically, if you turn up with an over-the-limit bag, you risk being forced to check it.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I've flown them 5 or 6 times. I usually don't check a bag. I print my boarding pass at home. So the first time I interact with a staff person is when I/they scan my boarding pass when it's time to board the plane. So no one weighs my bag.

I travel with an S25 (not overstuffed) and a Medium Cafe bag. So at a glance, I don't "look" over the limit. In fact, I think my bags are under the weight limit, but they've never been weighed.

As Scribe states...be prepared to follow the rules. Just because some people have been able to skirt the rules doesn't mean it's always like that--especially when it's your turn.

Whether or not you have checked luggage has no effect on your carry-on limits. Think about transferring more items from your carry-on bag to your personal item. And wear your heaviest stuff.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Good points about carrying a personal item - as I said on another thread, literal one-bag travel is hard to do!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

But scribe.....what you described is one bag travel. One bag travel does not mean you only have one bag. One bag travel means you only have one bag to worry about while you are not seated . Most one bag travelers have a second bag "inside" their main bag that they take out when seated--plane, train, bus. But when they are walking, on local public transit, or even in taxi (okay, technically seated,) they have only one bag.

However, most people feel the need to fill whatever bag they are taking so it is necessary to bring a second bag. Just because you can take more doesn't mean you have to.
    Last edited by Frank II; 05-05-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thanks everyone. Good advice. I will be prepared to check the bag but am hoping I don't have to. Frank II - luggage weight restrictions makes sense for Airlines. However, it would seem to me that a slightly heavier than allowed carryon should be allowed if I don't have checked baggage. If Airlines are trying to manage weight it doesn't make sense that I could check my bag then bring another 17.5lbs on as a carryon. In a sense, I'm helping with limiting weight.

But, if the motive is to make checked luggage $, then I can see why they would impose these kind of restrictions.

IMO, passengers should have a combined checked and carryon limit. And the carryon should continue to have a size restriction.

Thanks again.

It would be more of a headache than anything else and take up more time if there were different rules as to how much people could take on.

How would you do it? Force everyone to check in at the airport and not print their boarding passes until then? Board flights even earlier because every passenger has to be checked on the computer as to which category they fall under? Expect arguments at the gate when one person is allowed a larger carry-on than another?

The gate is the last place you want to add more restrictions.

Passengers don't like waiting around. They don't like standing in line. With new baggage rules, this would only get worse. And remember, on-time performance is even more important than weight.

True enough.... When I was in Nepal, all carry on luggage was weighed. Well, more like everyone on the same flight had to stack their carry on bags like pancakes on the scale. It was a crazy mess (and a frightening flight too)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0