Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

Volunteer Moderator

Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

It appears that Frontier Airlines is charging for carry-on bags placed in overhead bins.

You may, however, bring a "personal item" (18" x 14" x 8") onboard without a fee, and place it under the seat in front of you.

Fortunately, the Western Flyer (18" x 12" x 7") qualifies dimensionally as a personal item!

You may also bring a diaper bag, and some additional items onboard without a fee.
    Janine and eWalker like this.
    -m

Wow that is insane. Frontier used to be the airline that talked about all the perks you got for a cheap airline.

I remember when Frontier was Midwest Express - big leather seats and they baked chocolate chip cookies on board (!).

I think Frontier's definition of a personal carry on item is pretty reasonable (and somewhat standard in size) compared to Allegiant and Spirit. I also think they are smart in having a barebones price and a price with 'the works.' Still, I'm wondering when one of the major carriers will make the leap and either charge for carry ons beyond a personal item or limit the number and/or reduce free carry on size - of course I've been wondering this for quite a few years (since Spirit initiated it).

It seems a bit drastic to charge you to put carryon-sized luggage in the overhead bins! I thought EasyJet were bad with their strict one-bag-only rule (sizing about the same as Frontier), but at least they let you "cheat" by having a personal item inside your main bag, so you can put the main bag in the bin and still have your flight stuff to hand.

I guess, though, that this is driven by the tendency of US airlines to have higher carry-on sizes in the first place. It's pretty easy to get a week's stuff in a carry-on plus a personal item (esp with TB bags!), and canny travellers are clearly doing this - which is depriving airlines of their checked baggage fees.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Ugh at this rate I'll just go back to using usps/ups/fedex/dhl for my bags like I have in the past! LOL.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I don't get it: if you check a bag they have to do the work (howling it on the plain) but in the overhead compartment it is me doing the work of howling it in and out. Why charge me for that?

I now it is because they are trying to make money out of every bit they can, but this one is very hard to understand.

Thanks though for the warning maverick.

Ilkyway

One thing I'm wondering about, if someone has to pay for overhead space, does it guarantee that overhead space will be available?
    I don't know if anyone here has been unfortunate enough to encounter this before - you're one of the last to board and there's no room for your carry-on in the overhead.
    So what happens if one pays to use the overhead bin but can't use it?

I agree Icebeng! I've seen that happen on almost every flight I have been on.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    (howling it on the plain)
    *lol* It took me a moment to decode your German-phonetic spelling there, Ilkyway! I know the airlines are as rapacious as hyaenas...
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    I agree Icebeng! I've seen that happen on almost every flight I have been on.
    Almost every flight?! Urgh..... That's horrible!

Don't they only charge for a carryon if you buy the "Basic" tier ticket?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Don't they only charge for a carryon if you buy the "Basic" tier ticket?
    That appears to be the case, I would guess that a lot of people would view "Basic" as the new "Economy" though.
    If you look at it from the Airline's point of view: Oh, we're dividing the air ticket's price into 2 sections, the actual plane ride and the right to a larger carry-on luggage. Those of you who don't want to bring a larger carry-on luggage can pay less.
    What many people are going to see it as though: I have to pay more to bring a larger carry-on luggage?! I didn't have to pay for this before!!
    Last edited by icebeng; 04-30-2014 at 05:32 AM. Reason: grammar

Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flye...

I have never taken Frontier. (I'm not even sure where they fly.) But I would pay a reasonable fee to be guaranteed carry on space. From my point of view, this is the most anxiety-producing aspect of every flight.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-30-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, Frontier does this for "Basic" tickets (up to 27-Apr), and "Economy" tickets purchased going forward from that date.

Frontier isn't alone in charging fees for carry-on bags - Spirit and Allegiant are doing the same.

I don't like to check bags for several reasons - the hassle of dealing with lost or damaged bags; my bags coming out dirty as a result of rubbing up against other bags; the delay of waiting for your checked bags to come around the carousel; the creepy feeling when you open up your bag to find a note from TSA saying they opened up and went through your bags.

Carry-on bags, specially when carried as a backpack, can't be beat!

I'm sure this may sound strange, but while the Western Flyer and Tri-Star can fit under the seat in front of me, I really don't like to place anything there other than my shoes.

I'm quite happy to go lay down in the grass - where people walk. But placing my bags, that I will carry and touch and all that, under the seat in front of me makes me uncomfortable because people place their shoes there. I'm not crazy about putting my bag in the overhead bin either, but given the choice between the two locations, in the overhead bin is where it goes .
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -m

scribe, every time I do not get a red line under a word I hope, that it is exactly the word I want it to be. Maybe I should look all the words when I am not sure, but that would make participating in this forum much less fun. And as you as a person and you all as a group seems to take my mistakes with such a good humor... I hope it is okey with everybody if I keep writing as best as I can.

But now I have to go and find out, what I actually wrote up there, so I can have a laugh too ;-)

Ilkyway

Edit: LOL now I get it. What I meant was haul, this is exactly how you would wright this world in German. And if I have learned anything about english: nothing is written exactly as it sounds to my German ears. Sorry for that...
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 04-30-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0