Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    Are you carrying a TB Zephyr on the Zephyr? [couldn't resist]
    It would be appropriate, but I'm afraid not. Smart Alec and Ristretto.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    Are you carrying a TB Zephyr on the Zephyr? [couldn't resist] Train is a nice way to see the country... hopefully there are some efficient travel routes out west to enjoy the amazing scenery. Have a great trip.
    I once took the TB Empire Builder on the Empire Builder. How could I not? I was taking it from Minneapolis Mn to Portland Or. Great trip! I'd like to take that trip again someday, only this time, I'd like to take it to Seattle for a little Tom Bihn Shopping Spree!!!
    moriond likes this.
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    The good thing about Starbucks is that you can use their rewards card as a convenient currency exchange for all the small bills and change you accumulate on a foreign trip! I just pull up to one of the dozens that are in every airport ever... order my usual "grande, low fat, half soy, no foam strawberry and črm mochalocachockalattefrappe" and have them put the rest of the change onto my Starbucks card. It is added in my home currency, at the current market exchange rate with no fees, plus with their gold card you can sit down, relax, get free wifi and refills on regular coffee and tea. (Move over Admiral's Club!) plus it beats having it in a ziplock in your dresser!

So far I have tried this in the US, Canada, UK and mainland Europe and it works flawlessly.
    @miking This sounds rather handy, but I'm not clear how it works. Do you give them all your small change to pay for the coffee, and ask them to put any leftovers onto the card?
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Miking, is there really such a thing as a "grande, low fat, half soy, no foam strawberry and črm mochalocachockalattefrappe" ? Forgive my ignorance, the closest Starbucks is a 90 mile dirve for me I don't get there very often.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    @miking This sounds rather handy, but I'm not clear how it works. Do you give them all your small change to pay for the coffee, and ask them to put any leftovers onto the card?
    That's right, they can even add the money without you buying anything. I normally buy a coffee after screening, get through early then relax before the flight, using starbuck's ussually good WIFI to check emails and update my Facebook so my entire family doesn't think I have died!

Moose, unfortunately it isn't a real thing... Unfortunately it isn't the most pretentious thing I have seen ordered from there! And lucky, I can't walk a block from my house without running into one!

Thanks, Miking!

Your invented drink makes my usual "tall Americano with hazelnut syrup" sound very dull...
    Collections:
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I am very grateful that one of the local coffee bars has set up an outpost at the airport so I can order a doppio macchiato without the baista feeling compelled to explain the drink or double check that I really know what I'm ordering.

One of my most vivid memories of a trip to Venice a few years ago was my husband swooning (fortunately not literally!) at the coffee in the airport on arrival. I think he'd happily move to Italy just for the coffee!
    Collections:

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    One of my most vivid memories of a trip to Venice a few years ago was my husband swooning (fortunately not literally!) at the coffee in the airport on arrival. I think he'd happily move to Italy just for the coffee!
    Not to sound heretical, but I'm not a big fan of Starbucks. However, I quite like Lavazza coffee in Europe.

moriond

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I'm a coffee brat. Most all of it I find is pure swill. I have one or two kinds I like, made a particular way and doctored just so. Otherwise bring on the tea.

I'm placing a TB order tomorrow. I'm going to order a double pouch to see if I can make it work for bills and change. I really don't have a good way to do that right now.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@moose This is why I've taken to having hazelnut syrup in my Starbucks black coffee - it makes it bearable!

Also, I hear you on the cash-handling. I must have bought a dozen wallets and coin purses in the last few years in my hunt for the perfect arrangement. Until I find one, I'm stuck using a wallet for cards and notes, and a coin purse for loose change (which we use a lot in Europe, owing to higher-denomination coins).

This weekend I spent ages on Etsy looking for a coin purse I can tether inside my black/iberian SE, and ended up buying a vintage one from the US:

Name:  purse.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  54.7 KB

I wish TB would make a pouch that zips down a little at the sides so that you can see the interior easily and get coins out quickly - perhaps in parapack with a dyneema lining, or in unlined dyneema?
    Last edited by scribe; 05-11-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    ...And if I have learned anything about english: nothing is written exactly as it sounds to my German ears. Sorry for that...
    It's not your German ears. Spelling in English is a crap shoot, at best.

I'd wager that your English is better than any of our German (and possibly better than my English too).
    Moose and Ilkyway like this.
    ~Adam
    ~~~~~~~~
    Bags: Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Super Ego, Buzz, Brain Cell Size 4Z & 6X, {Small Cafe & Synapse - Controlled by Wife!}
    Accessories: Backpack packing cubes (aeronaut, tri-star), Various Packing Cubes, Passport Pouch, Absolute Straps, QAM, Various Other Pouches, Freudian Slip

Quote Originally Posted by adamki View Post

I'd wager that your English is better than any of our German (and possibly better than my English too).
    I am not sure about the first part, Moosezilla might have picked up quite a bit in Berlin and for the second part: I doubt that but thank you anyway.

Ilkyway

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion of the English language - a friend sent this earlier today - 20 BRITISH WORDS THAT MEAN SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT IN THE U.S. - good for a laugh or two...
    SusanM likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0