Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 74
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware.
    Posts
    239
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, but the oral tradition is different from the written tradition -- you don't read think about the way words are spelled. I remember being asked, by my sister, who was reading text, what "chutzpah" was. (You can imagine someone pronounciing this word with the initial sound of "choose"). She just didn't recognize the word from the way it was spelled, so I said, straight-faced, "It's the same thing as Chanukah" (and mis-pronounced that word by saying it with English phonemes and stress patterns based on the way it was spelled)....
    I am an avid reader, and my vocabulary was built by reading. Sadly, that often led to a problem with pronunciation. At one point (and probably pretty late- middle school? high school?), my mind was blown when I connected the word "facade" with its pronunciation. I knew/used both the written word and the spoken word, but I never connected the two. I totally get that problem with words like "chutzpah." As an aside, I studied Italian in college, so it bothers me a bit when waiters "correct" my pronunciation of "bruschetta" to have the "sh" sound. It make me want to ask if I can have a glass of "shianti" to go with it. (For the record, I don't care if others pronounce it with the "sh" sound, but before correcting someone's pronunciation, you should be quite sure you're correct.)

    By the way, anyone who has spent even a relatively short time in the New York City metropolitan area will recognize these words, regardless of their cultural heritage. And the connection (recognition of the word "chutzpah")!was instantly made after my reply, pointing that she had to rethink the word not based on the pronunciation she guessed from the spelling.

    I do like the sounds and textures of different languages,
    That's the best part of language; even if you don't speak them, you can learn bits and pieces, which can be very fun and useful. I find the more languages I'm exposed to (and being an engineering professor really helps with that a lot), the more I end up incorporating little bits and pieces. I always hope my appropriations come across as respectful and positive, but I do fear accidentally offending.

    As an aside, there's a very small chance I might know your sister, moriond. It's a long-shot, but based on things the person I know has said, it's actually plausible, even if not especially likely.

  2. #47
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,378

    Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flye...

    @jmoz: I have the same issue with "calzone." Especially when Pizza Hut jumped on the bandwagon with the horrifically-named "P'Zone." Thanks for helping, Mega-Corporation. (Shudders)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I am an avid reader, and my vocabulary was built by reading. Sadly, that often led to a problem with pronunciation. At one point (and probably pretty late- middle school? high school?), my mind was blown when I connected the word "facade" with its pronunciation. I knew/used both the written word and the spoken word, but I never connected the two.
    Same here.
    icebeng likes this.

  4. #49
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    744
    There's a hotel chain here called "Campanile" (don't know if they're international) - I really, really want to pronounce it the Italian way but I bet I'd totally confuse their employees if I did!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    There's a hotel chain here called "Campanile" (don't know if they're international) - I really, really want to pronounce it the Italian way but I bet I'd totally confuse their employees if I did!
    If you do, go all the way and do it with an Italian accent for the whole conversation!
    scribe likes this.

  6. #51
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    If you do, go all the way and do it with an Italian accent for the whole conversation!
    I shall have to practise first, by listening to some of my colleagues' speech patterns more closely (I work on a campus with staff from all over the world).
    icebeng likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  7. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    As an aside, I studied Italian in college, so it bothers me a bit when waiters "correct" my pronunciation of "bruschetta" to have the "sh" sound. It make me want to ask if I can have a glass of "shianti" to go with it. (For the record, I don't care if others pronounce it with the "sh" sound, but before correcting someone's pronunciation, you should be quite sure you're correct.)
    That reminds me of the "venti" coffee scene from the movie Role Models, that is one thing that has always irked me about Starbucks! Well besides their coffee and business model...
    Role Models - Venti Is Twenty - YouTube

    The good thing about Starbucks is that you can use their rewards card as a convenient currency exchange for all the small bills and change you accumulate on a foreign trip! I just pull up to one of the dozens that are in every airport ever... order my usual "grande, low fat, half soy, no foam strawberry and črm mochalocachockalattefrappe" and have them put the rest of the change onto my Starbucks card. It is added in my home currency, at the current market exchange rate with no fees, plus with their gold card you can sit down, relax, get free wifi and refills on regular coffee and tea. (Move over Admiral's Club!) plus it beats having it in a ziplock in your dresser!

    So far I have tried this in the US, Canada, UK and mainland Europe and it works flawlessly.

  8. #53
    Registered User Ilkyway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    GMT +1 (+1 Summertime) - Germany, North
    Posts
    686
    Okay now you made me buy a DVD. What is next? Bags I was expecting but DVDs? Where will this end?


    Edit: missed an u in buy.
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 05-02-2014 at 05:34 AM.

  9. #54
    Registered User taminca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Okay now you made me buy a DVD. What is next? Bags I was expecting but DVDs? Where will this end?
    Ilkyway, I have long ago learned that this Forum is dangerous to my bank account... Enablers Galore... And I love it!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    44
    I've been flying Frontier for MANY years on too numerous flights to list.

    Their quality and customer service has dropped considerably the last five or so years.

    I blame the ownership rather than the employees as the owners, especially the new are squeezing every last dime from the passengers... their customers.

    The planes are jammed, not too clean, you're treated like cattle and now, they're squeezing everything from the wallets of the paying passenger for the use of the overhead bin.

    I travel with a TriStar or Air Boss and have always taken up little space.

    Now that the leg room has been reduced as well...

    Adios Frontier!

  11. #56
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    744
    I understand that airlines need to increase revenues because of rising fuel prices, but when it comes at the cost of planes that literally land, disgorge passengers and take on a new bunch without any turnaround time for cleaning, I might as well go by train where at least I have some legroom! Like others here, I get very annoyed with people who take up the bin space with jackets and random stuff when all I have is a carryon bag and a small personal item...
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  12. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    115
    It definitely seems like a race to the bottom sometimes with American airlines - I think I read that most, if not all of their profit is from the 'extras' passengers purchase like extra legroom, paying for checked bags, food and the like. I think that despite what we may claim otherwise, most people buy based on ticket price.

    I will admit I've used Allegiant - because they were cheap and I only had to be somewhere overnight and could get away with a tiny bag (it actually wasn't too bad - newer plane and nice FAs), but I've also paid more when I needed to be somewhere JetBlue flew because their service was so much better than other competing airlines.

  13. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I understand that airlines need to increase revenues because of rising fuel prices, but when it comes at the cost of planes that literally land, disgorge passengers and take on a new bunch without any turnaround time for cleaning, I might as well go by train where at least I have some legroom!
    Scribe, in the UK and in Europe you are lucky to have some great train service alternatives. Unfortunately in the US train travel is not a viable option for most routes, with the notable exception of Amtrak's Northeast corridor [Washington DC, New York, Boston].

  14. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    Unfortunately in the US train travel is not a viable option for most routes, with the notable exception of Amtrak's Northeast corridor [Washington DC, New York, Boston].
    I don't know about that. I'm on the California Zephyr as I write this (though admittedly it's more of a "the trip is the destination" type of thing).

  15. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I don't know about that. I'm on the California Zephyr as I write this (though admittedly it's more of a "the trip is the destination" type of thing).
    Are you carrying a TB Zephyr on the Zephyr? [couldn't resist] Train is a nice way to see the country... hopefully there are some efficient travel routes out west to enjoy the amazing scenery. Have a great trip.
    icebeng likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0