Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

I don't know what airports are represented here by the above comments, but from SEA TAC I have rarely seen overpackers standing in the security lines or on the planes I've taken. What I have seen is people trying to stow a main bag AND a personal item, plus a jacket and hat in the overhead bins, spreading themselves around like there is unlimited space...kind of how water is often used up here, without a care.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Ilkway, I never have any trouble understanding exactly what you're saying. Like scribe, your English is way better than my rusty German. Unless of course you need a cup of coffee or a pencil, in which case I'm your girl.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Ein Bleistift, if memory serves! (Or maybe eine Bleistift - random genders are hard to remember!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

@ all of you: did I mention that I like this forum very much! I learn and laugh and share my love for bags with you guys. A read several comments from this threat to my husband who kindly endures my bag-obsession like you are kindly enduring my denglish (that is what we Germans call all the whanebe-engish speaker here, it is a mix of deutsch (german) and english =de-nglish).

@ scribe: it is ein Bleistift (you remembered correctly) and thous random genders is all we have to make our language interesting.

@ bchaplin: If there would not be so many good movies and books in english/american I would not stand a chance. But I red Terry Pratchett (all of him!) in english, watch all Films from GB/USA in the original and that is by far a better teacher than the one I had at school. The only problem is: it does not practice making own sentences. It is only input, no output. But it helps a lot.

@ maverick: Sorry I hijacked your threat with my petty language-issues. I did not plan that by howling at my bags but I am actually great-full for all the nice and eye twinkling comments. Sometimes I am quite aware of my "funny" sentences and I do so much hope that are received in good spirit. This helped my confidence. Pleas do overlook all the off-topic and thank you for making us all aware of the pricing policy Frontier Airlines. They won't be the last with such an idea and this helps to be on alert for pricing/value of plain tickets.

Ilkyway

Off topic: I think the forum would be a sadder, less awesome place without Ilkyway's utterly charming phonetic spellings.

On topic: I think airlines like Frontier and Spirit are taking the lead in the "Race for the Bottom" in customer service that is happening in the US airline industry. While RyanAir and Easyjet have this sort of a la carte services but substantially lower prices (or they did quite a few years ago when I last flew them), airlines like Spirit and Frontier tend to be only slightly less expensive than mainstream airlines.

I don't think they're providing useful competition; I think they're instead providing cover for AA, Delta, etc. to charge for basic services under the guise of remaining competitive. I fly a decent amount (certainly less than some people here, but 25-50K miles a year), and the trend towards monetizing everything possible is getting absurd.

The only exception to this that I've noticed (and it was a welcome one) was that spirits were complimentary in economy on my last long-haul international flight on Delta. For a several year period, only wine and beer were complimentary.

I do think there is a definite Race to the Bottom for airlines in the US. I've flown United mostly for the past 15 years and in the last 5 or so, I've seen my airline ticket prices double as well as charging for checking bags, charging for extra leg room, and being charged for snacks. It seems overall, airlines are charging more and providing less.
    jmoz likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Dear Ilkyway,

No apologies necessary - I love how a thread is like a river - it can take different courses, have tributaries!

As you have denglish, we have hinglish (a mix of hindi and english) - it's awesome!

Don't forget the ever popular Spanglish. I grew up speaking spanglish.

Growing up, my parents (to some degree) and my grandparents (to a large degree) spoke Yid-lish. All the words were correct, but the order was, well, a bit peculiar. "You want I should say what?" "This I need?"

I even do it on occasion (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not), which amused one of my colleague's grad students, who is also a secular Jew. Something or other about my channeling her grandparents....

Jmoz, it's wonderful how idioms, speech patterns and accents resonate and connect us to the generations that came before us. Food is probably on a par with language for being powerfully able to conjure memories of our past. Oh to be able to taste and smell my mother's stuffed cabbage again... it's like Proust's madeleines to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    The only exception to this that I've noticed (and it was a welcome one) was that spirits were complimentary in economy on my last long-haul international flight on Delta. For a several year period, only wine and beer were complimentary.
    I'm flying Delta Economy in July (the only airline flying direct between London Heathrow & Minneapolis-St Paul) - hoping for a free G&T

Off-topic: Yidlish is great - makes me think of US comedians, like Billy Crystal in "The Princess Bride"

Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I'm flying Delta Economy in July (the only airline flying direct between London Heathrow & Minneapolis-St Paul) - hoping for a free G&T

Off-topic: Yidlish is great - makes me think of US comedians, like Billy Crystal in "The Princess Bride"

I like to drink a lot (of water), specially when I fly - it keeps you hydrated!

I am reminded of a domestic flight, on United I think, where they refused to serve me any more water. I had consumed perhaps a liter of water. I think they said that they wanted to have enough to serve passengers on the return leg.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Growing up, my parents (to some degree) and my grandparents (to a large degree) spoke Yid-lish. All the words were correct, but the order was, well, a bit peculiar. "You want I should say what?" "This I need?"

I even do it on occasion (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not), which amused one of my colleague's grad students, who is also a secular Jew. Something or other about my channeling her grandparents....
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    Jmoz, it's wonderful how idioms, speech patterns and accents resonate and connect us to the generations that came before us. Food is probably on a par with language for being powerfully able to conjure memories of our past. Oh to be able to taste and smell my mother's stuffed cabbage again... it's like Proust's madeleines to me.
    Yes, but the oral tradition is different from the written tradition -- you don't read think about the way words are spelled. I remember being asked, by my sister, who was reading text, what "chutzpah" was. (You can imagine someone pronounciing this word with the initial sound of "choose"). She just didn't recognize the word from the way it was spelled, so I said, straight-faced, "It's the same thing as Chanukah" (and mis-pronounced that word by saying it with English phonemes and stress patterns based on the way it was spelled). (Sorry, the initial sounds are not the same--nor are the meanings, and the dictionary links were chosen only because tapping the speaker symbol works to pronounce "chutzpah" on my iOS device -- so you can hear the difference between the sound of the word and the way you might try to pronounce the written word with English intonations). By the way, anyone who has spent even a relatively short time in the New York City metropolitan area will recognize these words, regardless of their cultural heritage. And the connection (recognition of the word "chutzpah")!was instantly made after my reply, pointing that she had to rethink the word not based on the pronunciation she guessed from the spelling.

I do like the sounds and textures of different languages,

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I like to drink a lot (of water), specially when I fly - it keeps you hydrated!

I am reminded of a domestic flight, on United I think, where they refused to serve me any more water. I had consumed perhaps a liter of water. I think they said that they wanted to have enough to serve passengers on the return leg.
    @maverick I remember this incident, which you posted about in the old (2008) Giving up on airline points… thread
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    the absolute worst experience i had with dining inflight was on a united flight. we were flying from washington, dc to las vegas to visit my wife's sister, and we had our 2 year old son with us.

we were seated in row 22. they ran out of food in row 17 - that's about half way through the plane.

on another flight on the same route, they refused to serve me water after i had consumed a liter. i like to keep myself hydrated, specially when flying. it's not that they didn't have any more water.
    I think that most of the comments you made then (especially about vegetarian meal experiences) may be different today. (I thought about your post in the thread about flying Lufthansa).

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @maverick I remember this incident, which you posted about in the old (2008) Giving up on airline points… thread

I think that most of the comments you made then (especially about vegetarian meal experiences) may be different today. (I thought about your post in the thread about flying Lufthansa).

moriond
    Amazing as always, moriond!

Meals onboard generally haven't been a problem when you can pre-order a meal - I do this on international flights, and it works well. Some airlines (Etihad and Qatar Airways are the two I recall) have a standard lactovegetarian meal offering - though you aren't guaranteed one if you haven't pre-ordered and they run out by the time they get to your seat. Most flights in and out of India also have a standard lactovegetarian offering since there is a large lactovegetarian population in India.

They don't always get it right, though. I like to keep some tail mix or nuts with me when I travel just in case.

The latest offering I have seen, and Lufthansa is one of the airlines that has it (and perhaps all of them do now) is a fruit platter option. Regardless of your dietary preferences (well, unless you're diabetic), a fruit platter is a great option when you fly. When you're not terribly active for 8 or 9 or 14 hours, you don't need all that much food to sustain yourself. Eating a lighter meal lets you rest better when you fly because your digestive system isn't working to process a heavy meal. I think you also don't get as affected by jetlag as a result of eating lighter when you travel. I ordered a fruit platter for my last trip to India, and it worked out great!
    -m

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0