Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Frontier Airlines charging for carryon bags, personal item (e.g. Western Flyer) okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    scribe, every time I do not get a red line under a word I hope, that it is exactly the word I want it to be. Maybe I should look all the words when I am not sure, but that would make participating in this forum much less fun. And as you as a person and you all as a group seems to take my mistakes with such a good humor... I hope it is okey with everybody if I keep writing as best as I can.

But now I have to go and find out, what I actually wrote up there, so I can have a laugh too ;-)

Ilkyway
    Please don't change, Ilkyway! I cannot even imagine trying to write my posts in German, so am in awe of your efforts and very much appreciate your participation in this Forum.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

@bchaplin
    I've never flown with them before either, but this is the 1st time I've heard of an airline taking the carry-on luggage segment out of the airfare and making it a chargeable option, it's kinda interesting to me.
    I try not to use the overhead cabin when I fly, it's normally full up by the time I board anyway, and when I look at what people put into the overhead..... coats, too many shopping bags clearly belonging to one person that should never have made it on board.... bouquets of flowers...
    I often find myself thinking "Anyone who NEEDS overhead space now, is going to be so screwed". Totally understand why it makes you anxious.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    @bchaplin
    I've never flown with them before either, but this is the 1st time I've heard of an airline taking the carry-on luggage segment out of the airfare and making it a chargeable option, it's kinda interesting to me.
    I try not to use the overhead cabin when I fly, it's normally full up by the time I board anyway, and when I look at what people put into the overhead..... coats, too many shopping bags clearly belonging to one person that should never have made it on board.... bouquets of flowers...
    I often find myself thinking "Anyone who NEEDS overhead space now, is going to be so screwed". Totally understand why it makes you anxious.
    Other than perhaps CRJ and aircraft with similarly sized overhead bins, I think if everyone placed one bag, no larger than a fully packed Aeronaut, space in overhead bins wouldn't be an issue.

(Synthetic) down jackets are great, specially when traveling. You can put them into your bags without taking too much space. It's not a bad idea to go ahead and transfer your jacket to your bag as you go through the security checkpoint, unless boarding your aircraft will involve being outside on a very cold day.

I was traveling with a moderately packed Brain Bag, and we were impressed with how it swallowed 3 synthetic down jackets!
    -m

I am one of those people who hates checking luggage as well - partly because I hate then waiting to pick it up and partly because of my history (1bag lost, 1 bag destroyed, several bags rifled through by security and having things go missing). I do get a little anxious as well, particularly if I'm one of the last to board - one of the airlines I fly pretty much states if you are in Zone 5, you might as well check your bag.

Part of the problem is simple mathematics - the bins simply aren't big enough for everyone to bring a 22x14x9 bag, part is like a few people mentioned, all the other stuff in the bin (on my last flight someone had tree branch clippings - I kid you not). As much as I like being able to put my bag in the overhead bin (under the seat can be gross, and even though I'm short with the seats as close as they are I like the illusion of space), if I carry on a bag that fit under the seat I don't have to worry.

I am surprised that in the US there hasn't been a move to weigh carry-on like in Europe and Asia - that would probably radically reduce the number of carry-ons for awhile.

@maverick
    that's a great idea, if more people made use of ideas like this and people follow suit, flights could be much better

hmmmm.....
    If TB ever wants to try a collaboration with an airline for public education / advertising....

"Be considerate to fellow flight passengers, carry no more than 2 bags and place only 1 of them into the overhead when you fly.
    This makes it better for all of us!
    To sweeten the deal,
    from now till xx/xx/xxxx, if one or both of your carry-on luggage happens to be TB bags, we'll give you X% off your airfare!"
    :P

@Vecturist
    Airlines in Asia, particularly the budget airlines, are pretty strict about carry-on sizes and weights, I've seen ground staff tell passengers VERY firmly(big understatement) that their carry-on is overweight / too large, countless times.
    But even with all of that enforcing, when I board the plane, its like luggage appears magically out of nowhere to swallow up all the available space.

I believe the reason U.S luggages are not weighted is that it will force most people to check their wheeled luggage.

Most general retail chains and all the shopping channels sell sets of cheaply made and expensive wheeled luggage sets, if people were forced to check and pay for them to be be checked, they would stop buying them.

Even some non wheeled, ultra expensive brand names, suit bags in heavy ballistic or leather, are very heavy.
    I know, because it was the last piece of non Tom Bihn luggage, I bought.

Those suit bags seem to be essential to the "Suits" crowd and some airlines allow them on board the cabin, even if they are oversided and overweight.

Crews also use wheeled bags and use a significant amount of overhead space.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-30-2014 at 08:10 AM.

No one is going to stop buying wheels. 90% of all luggage sold has wheels. When I tell people my bag doesn't have wheels, they look at me as if I'm strange. (I am, but not because I don't use wheels.)

The three airlines that charge for carry-on bags cater mostly to leisure travelers. These folks, in general, would rather check bags but don't do so because they don't want to spend the money. If they know they will be charged either way, most will go back to checking.

As far as most U.S. carriers not weighing carry-on bags,it's because they don't want to upset their corporate customers. They are the bread and butter to the airlines.....not the leisure passenger flying once or twice a year at the lowest fare. As a leisure customer you might have booked weeks in advance and gotten a $100 fare. However, the corporate customer who booked the day before because he has to attend a last minute meeting, is probably paying over $500. Who do you think the airline is more concerned about?

We're not going to see the end of wheels anytime soon. If anything, they are becoming more popular. And what's worst, it's the 4-wheel spinners that are the hotest items sold. And they take up even more room.

Part of the job of running my website is being aware of every non-wheeled carry-on bag that comes on the market. Most arrive for a short time and are then discontinued. The market just isn't big enough for everyone to come out with a bag. There are basically about a 15-20 convertible/non--backpack carry-ons on the market.
    Last edited by Frank II; 04-30-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

s

Edit: LOL now I get it. What I meant was haul, this is exactly how you would wright this world in German. And if I have learned anything about english: nothing is written exactly as it sounds to my German ears. Sorry for that...
    Ilkyway, English is notorious for having a very strange spelling system, you're certainly not alone

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Ilkyway likes this.

The made up word "ghoti" could be pronounced--"fish"

gh--"f" sound like in the word "enough"
    o--"i" sound like in the world "women"
    ti--"sh" sound like in the word "nation"

I believe English has more words and spellings than any other language.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Ilkyway, English is notorious for having a very strange spelling system, you're certainly not alone

Not to mention some words have variations in their spelling when you look at the UK/US versions of the same word.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post

Just.... wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Please don't change, Ilkyway! I cannot even imagine trying to write my posts in German, so am in awe of your efforts and very much appreciate your participation in this Forum.
    But Ilkyway will change, for the better(she's good already though) ^.^
    For a forum about bags, this forum has far more to offer than just bags. I daresay that no one would disagree with me when I say that we all improve ourselves when we read this forum (Yes, looking for and finding an excuse to justify buying more TB bags counts too)
    Last edited by icebeng; 04-30-2014 at 10:12 AM.

scribe, every time I do not get a red line under a word I hope, that it is exactly the word I want it to be. Maybe I should look all the words when I am not sure, but that would make participating in this forum much less fun. And as you as a person and you all as a group seems to take my mistakes with such a good humor... I hope it is okey with everybody if I keep writing as best as I can.
    Your English is far, far better than my rusty German! I only pointed it out because it was a particularly amusing combination of misspellings

That was (IIRC) George Bernard Shaw being facetious - it wouldn't really be pronounced "fish", because believe it or not, English does have spelling rules - they're just a lot more complicated than most other languages. It probably doesn't help that English is a weird mongrel blend of Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse and Norman French, with a shed-load of loanwords from other languages thrown into the mix.

I have a t-shirt with the following text on it:

"English doesn't borrow from other languages; it follows them down a dark alley, knocks them down and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

@Ilkyway - Seriously, I've spent much of my adult life, trying and failing to learn other languages. I can barely communicate a sentence in most of them, and certainly wouldn't be able to write on a forum at your level. I think it's great that you have gotten this far, and the practice will improve your skills. Anyway, I like the mental image of you howling at your luggage -- I've come pretty close to doing that a few times!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-30-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I'll just leave this little Eddie Izzard skit on British vs American English right here
    http://youtu.be/dz4Ps55Rx40

@scribe @Tachiyaku - I was wondering when someone was going to bring up American vs British English - don't get me started on the differences between the two as far idioms and slang go...

No one is going to stop buying wheels. 90% of all luggage sold has wheels. When I tell people my bag doesn't have wheels, they look at me as if I'm strange. (I am, but not because I don't use wheels.)

The three airlines that charge for carry-on bags cater mostly to leisure travelers. These folks, in general, would rather check bags but don't do so because they don't want to spend the money. If they know they will be charged either way, most will go back to checking.
    IMO this is a good thing ... the one-bag folks and TB fans will by and large benefit surely?

As far as most U.S. carriers not weighing carry-on bags,it's because they don't want to upset their corporate customers. They are the bread and butter to the airlines.....not the leisure passenger flying once or twice a year at the lowest fare. As a leisure customer you might have booked weeks in advance and gotten a $100 fare. However, the corporate customer who booked the day before because he has to attend a last minute meeting, is probably paying over $500. Who do you think the airline is more concerned about?
    MrDaisy is currently on an international shorthaul business trip - his carryon had wheels..... an empire builder on a trolley. That's it. The rest of his stuff, including his suit went in the hold in a 25inch spinner.

I think it's quite reasonable for the airlines to manipulate the market to encourage the over-carryoners to put some things in the hold. (Not criticising the true light packer at all here)

TBH, trolleys suck but he wasn't going to go back to some other computer bag after his EB and it was just too heavy. The trolley will be going on our upcoming OS trip too - probably hauling his WF and my Ego - which will be our only carry-ons. Age and physical challenges make it necessary but we're not giving up our TB.
    List under construction ....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0