Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well

Anyone tried the snake charmer as a toiletry bag? It's a little larger than the 3D organizer cube.

HI Vecturist,
    There might be some posts of interest here: Advantages of a Snake Charmer?. I have used one that way (with a seperate 311 bag) and a couple of days of socks and underthings on the other side. I will say the Snake Charmer is bigger than I thought it would be. I don't know why I am sometimes surprised by a bag's size, the measurements are accurate. While I no longer have a Snake Charmer to compare to a 3D Cube, IIRC the Snake Charmer is quite a lot larger.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

The clear quarter cube is my current choice for toiletry bag, I like being able to see things from the outside.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Anyone tried the snake charmer as a toiletry bag? It's a little larger than the 3D organizer cube.
    @Vecturist I was going to point you to the Advantages of a Snake Charmer? thread, but @Moose beat me to it. You can read Moose's post there. The only comment I'd make is that the 3D organizer cubes can fit in a large number of bags, while it can be harder to fit the Snake Charmer into some of these. For example, in that thread you'll read that the Snake Charmer does not gracefully fit in the Pilot. If you want to upscale your Synapse 19 to a Synapse 25 (e.g., the one with narrower strap spacing that @maverick is selling on Craig's list), then the Snake Charmer fits easily into the bottom front pocket. For the Synapse 19 that you have, you can jam in a Snake Charmer, but it's really too big for that pocket. This doesn't mean that you can't use the Snake Charmer in these (or other bags) -- just that it's less easy to get a good fit across the board. The SC also works very well in all the larger backpacks (such as the Smart Alec and the Brain Bag).

HTH. moriond

P.S. On @bchaplin's original request for a toiletries bag, I recall that some discussion in the Hanging toiletries bag (preferably U.S. made) overlapped the current discussion, but had a few other suggestions.
    Moose and bchaplin like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    The clear quarter cube is my current choice for toiletry bag, I like being able to see things from the outside.
    The clear quarter packing cube works very well in the Aeronaut, and can be packed either inside or in the end pocket for easier access when going through security. You could also use another, dedicated CQPC to hold your snack bars:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    TSA once thought I had too many snack bars (Mojo, Lara, Luna, etc - My husband has a high metabolism and needs constant snacks and we were going to the end of the earth so...)
    Frivolous digression:
    I commented earlier that for some reason Larabars seem to get flagged by TSA inside luggage, so I just put them in my 3-1-1 bag or any clear bag whose contents are easy to view. @Leena you might be interested in reading the Request Larabar Intervention thread. A small explanation of context: one of the recurring themes in the forum discussions has been how to do a better job of conveying size and usage of the various bags through web site images of products, and around the end of 2006 Tom Bihn started including pictures of common objects that people would easily recognize inside the different sizes of organizer pouches and cubes on the product pages and in the blog. (Sometimes these were odd selections; the thread discussing the then redesigned Utility Tote, referenced the use of both a pineapple and an electric drill among the items easily carried in that bag.) A lot of the products at that time, including the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, had pictures with Larabars in them. So, the appearance of the Request Larabar Intervention thread as a not about bags discussion forum was understandable,

moriond

@moriond that is amusing. I did have another clear quarter cube for snacks. One side has a few napkins, 2 sporks, and 2 collapsible bowls. The other side is filled with bars.

@moose and @moriond - Thanks for the comments. I'm not really shopping for a toiletry bag, but thought I'd throw that out as a suggestion. My current bag was a freebie with a cosmetics purchase many years ago - I liked it so much I did a second purchase just for a back up bag. Between it and the 3D clear organizer cube for 3-1-1 stuff, I am pretty set (although as a female I have to double-check to make sure I don't have too many back-ups in the purse), and I do throw in a couple extra heavy duty ziplock bags just in case.

Much as I try to avoid them, sometimes the Ziploc bags are just the ticket. My new sub for them is the opaque bags by RuMe. I store small bottles in them for swim, and when the bottles leak or get the back soapy, the bag can be washed out and air dried.

I did go to L.L. Bean and bought the toiletry bag I showed earlier in the thread (post #16). I think it will suit my needs. Even their smallest is substantial in size. I also got the "medium", which is huge, but would hold everything I could possibly take, including sunscreen, moisturizer, insect repellant, etc. Will try them out with my actual toiletries and decide which one to keep.

These bags are not compact or super-light, but reasonable in size. For very stringent travel where I'm limited to a backpack, I might continue using the TB 3D organizer cubes. I really like the clever arrangements that @scribe and @Moose pictured.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I can't get rid of liquids since I wear contact lenses (also my skin flares up if I use the wrong brand of moisturiser, and as a "lady of a certain age" I can't really do without!).

Re the hanging bag issue, I rigged this up on my last trip, using two 3D Clear Organiser Cubes, one 16" keystrap and two 8" keystraps:

Attachment 6044

(I know the cubes have hooks, but they're quite short so the bags hang a bit too high up for me)
    I am thinking about doing the same with two shoulder bags and a shoulder strap... 9 liters bag on the pop!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Are those double carabiners? Good idea! I had mine with me (I did the seat-back bag thing on the plane, albeit using an Onya shopping bag), but didn't think of using them to fasten cubes together.
    Yes, exactly, they are double carabiners. Actually works pretty well for hanging.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    I agree about the eBags cubes - I use a mix of TB and some LLBean ones that they since discontinued. I know a lot of people like the EC Specter ones, but I prefer packing cubes that zip around on 3 sides - better for organizing and stuffing.
    I have some packing cubes from Muji that are fairly light, mesh top, and zip on 3 sides. They do tend to change out the color or material every two years or so (when I find something good for travel, I tend to stalk it). Daiso also had some mesh ones for < $2 USD but I haven't spotted them recently.

There's also a few Kiva mesh compression ones on eBay which have two sets of zippers like the EC Specter compression ones. Personally I'd prefer the mesh as I'd expect the air to be dispelled much quicker.

I've also been accused of being a dense packer by more than one security agent so I usually remove my empty thermos and MBA 11" from my Synapse 19 prior to sending my bag through. I don't know if my home airport is just better with gadget geeks since it is in a tech hub? They know what a few lenses, cameras, laptop, toiletries, mobile gadgets, backup battery, snacks, thermos, and chargers look like in the X-Ray. Maybe SEA screeners know what a stack of larabars looks like I'm sure they can easily identify packages of smoked fish, lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0