Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well

Thank you for the idea. Maybe. I tried that once, a few years ago, and it wasn't perfect for me. I may really need something like this:

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 8.23.49 PM.png
Views: 491
Size:  141.8 KB

though it takes up a lot of space.

There are other versions that are similar, but with very lightweight fabrics. I am looking at the different options.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I went through a lot of toiletry kits before I eventually settled on the eagle creek specter quick trip: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sp...ck-trip/d/1245 the 3D organizer cubes are a tad too small for what I need, and the more traditional toiletry bags are way too big. The eagle creek one is a nice compromise, although I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a slightly larger 3D organizer cube if it were available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have been through many iterations of toiletry kits including a Snake Charmer, Quarter Packing Cube and Red Oxx Lil Roy. I now am down to a 3D Mesh Organizer Cube. The trick was getting rid of all liquids by using products like Eco-Dent tooth powder, a small bar of Taylor of Bond Street shaving soap and Primal Pit Paste repacked into a small Nalgene container. In the 3D Cube I can fit all this plus razor & extra blades, toothbrush and everything else I need. I use a small Organizer Pouch for medications and first aid items. With a small load like this and no liquids I can fit my items in any spare space in my bag and it's one less thing I need to deal with at the TSA checkpoints.

I can't get rid of liquids since I wear contact lenses (also my skin flares up if I use the wrong brand of moisturiser, and as a "lady of a certain age" I can't really do without!).

Re the hanging bag issue, I rigged this up on my last trip, using two 3D Clear Organiser Cubes, one 16" keystrap and two 8" keystraps:

Name:  double_cube.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  159.2 KB

(I know the cubes have hooks, but they're quite short so the bags hang a bit too high up for me)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Loved the creative use of keystraps!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

bchaplin....are you looking for something like this?

Classic Toiletries Kit - Rick Steves' Travel Store

I have numerous toiletry kits and this is one of the ones I use.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

@ scribe: I will copy this great idea. So far I was thinking about hooking two of thous together via s-binder clips so that they would stand up together. But it did not really work and now as I see this it is the exact solution I was looking for. (It may bee, that I might need tree though...)
    Thank you for posting this picture.

Thank you for all the ideas. @scribe, that is adorable.
    @Frank II, I liked the design of the one I pictured (though it is bulky) from L.L. Bean. If I went with the type you showed, I would consider getting the new "Wallaby" that is available from Eagle Creek in the Specter fabric. It is very light, though I can not find any reviews. Do you have any experience with that one?

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 7.34.24 AM.png
Views: 434
Size:  77.6 KB

I'm starting to use a lot of dry alternatives to liquids and gels (even tried 'toothpaste tabs'), but not everything is going to be switched over. And whether it is a shampoo bottle or shampoo bar, I do want to consolidate everything to one bag.
    ----

I have the EC Specter Wallaby and in that color.

I'm not thrilled with it. The reason is you can't see what's in each compartment. There is a piece of foam in each half of the Wallaby to give "protection" but it makes it feel weird.

Have you looked at the Eagle Creek On Board (the regular version is only 1 oz more than the Specter version) or the Sea to Summit Hanging Toiletry kit? Both are about the same size as the L.L. Bean Toiletry Bag but weigh a lot less.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thanks, Frank II! Yes, I checked it out in REI and thought the foam was weird. I will give the ones you mentioned a closer look. The Sea to the Summit kit was mentioned in the Wirecutter guide and seemed like a possibility.
    ----

Scribe, after seeing your photo and reading llkyway's idea, I went off and did this. I like that I still have full access to the zippers of both bags.
    MooseName:  Bags.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  31.3 KB
    Last edited by Moose; 04-27-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Are those double carabiners? Good idea! I had mine with me (I did the seat-back bag thing on the plane, albeit using an Onya shopping bag), but didn't think of using them to fasten cubes together.
    Moose likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Loved the creative use of keystraps!
    Thanks! I seem to accumulate the short keystraps, since there's one in pretty much every bag.
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I can't get rid of liquids since I wear contact lenses (also my skin flares up if I use the wrong brand of moisturiser, and as a "lady of a certain age" I can't really do without!).

Re the hanging bag issue, I rigged this up on my last trip, using two 3D Clear Organiser Cubes, one 16" keystrap and two 8" keystraps:

Name:  double_cube.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  159.2 KB

(I know the cubes have hooks, but they're quite short so the bags hang a bit too high up for me)
    @scribe, Tumi sells a toiletries bag close to what you're wishing for, but very, very pricey IMHO.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

@monkeylady I'm not the one wishing for a fancy new toilet bag - I was just showing off what I came up with using my TB stuff
    Collections:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0