Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone ever fly Lufthansa?

@Miking, okay: your story was super hilarious. I am going to have to steal "like someone bottled the feeling you get when you lose something" because that's brilliant.

Bitter lemon, though, isn't actually that bitter. It's tangy and lemony, for sure, and has a bitterness from quinine. When I lived in Ireland, vodka bitter lemon was a nice break from vodka tonics. Had a similar flavor profile but was a bit sweeter and more cheerful somehow.

Italian soft drinks can be diabetic coma-inducing sweet or so herbaceous and bitter it's appalling. I do enjoy some of the alcohol-free bitters-flavored soft drinks, but usually, bah I would rather just drink wine. Because I'm a wino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Also I believe there are several other places like Las Vegas and Epcot center where you can sample Beverly in all of it's disgusting glory!
    Perhaps if I'm feeling brave (or foolish) in two weeks, I shall search for this when I'm in Epcot. I will be prepared and bring a hip flask containing something more pleasant for post-tasting. Like a good Speyside Scotch. Because that's how I roll.

When I was in Greece, they had a wonderful lemon soda. I don't remember what it was called.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I just remembered - the delicious taste of Schweppes Bitter Lemon; I hope they still serve this on board. My German seatmate requested this and I followed suit. Absolutely delicious!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I love trying local food and drinks! This is definitely on my list for the plane now.
    AFAIK Lufthansa still carries Schweppes Bitter Lemon in their airport lounges, and I think it's an option on their flights. Not sure this is "local" food and drinks, because while you can pick this up throughout most of Europe, I associate this with the Schweppes-Cadbury group in the UK. A long time ago they used to distribute Schweppes Bitter Lemon in the U.S., but now there are only products like their Tonic Water. As @Badger commented, it's not really "bitter" any more than their Tonic Water is bitter -- both drinks include quinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I'm not sure if I could bring myself to drink a bitter citrusy beverage after the incident....

One time I went to World of Coca-cola in Atlanta and one of their features there is pop fountains where you can freely sample dozens of flavors that coke sells throughout the world. There was one named "Beverly" apparently an Italian soft drink which is billed as “Beverly, with its bitter flavor, is a popular non-alcoholic aperitif that stimulates the appetite before dinner.” What it should have said is "grapefruit death with the bitter taste of betrayal and hate with an ashtray aftertaste, guaranteed to suppress hunger and make you drink mop water to get the taste out of your mouth" it is like someone bottled the feeling you get when you lose something, it is really that offensive.

On a side note World of Coca-cola is usually included in the admission to the Georgia Aquarium which is absolutely stunning and highly recommended! Also I believe there are several other places like Las Vegas and Epcot center where you can sample Beverly in all of it's disgusting glory!
    @Miking I've never tasted "Beverly" but your story made me look up Fresca, which the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. did market in the U.S. as a citrusy, diet soft drink that they continued to carry after they discontinued distribution of Schweppes Bitter Lemon. It was nowhere near as bad as your description, though it was the product that came to mind when I started reading your comment. Definitely not a good substitute for Schweppes Bitter Lemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @Miking, okay: your story was super hilarious. I am going to have to steal "like someone bottled the feeling you get when you lose something" because that's brilliant.

Bitter lemon, though, isn't actually that bitter. It's tangy and lemony, for sure, and has a bitterness from quinine. When I lived in Ireland, vodka bitter lemon was a nice break from vodka tonics. Had a similar flavor profile but was a bit sweeter and more cheerful somehow.

Italian soft drinks can be diabetic coma-inducing sweet or so herbaceous and bitter it's appalling. I do enjoy some of the alcohol-free bitters-flavored soft drinks, but usually, bah I would rather just drink wine. Because I'm a wino.
    Hmm… I don't think I've tried any of these, and will probably stay away from same from your description. I agree that @Miking's description was hilarious.

My recollection is also that Lufthansa's food is somewhat better than average, and that includes the vegetarian entrees (for @Leena). However, I think that was under the "Asian vegetarian" category, which they somehow translated from United's reservation system specs (which came out as Indian style food -- no meat or dairy, but spicier than I think you'd get with the "Western vegetarian" category). @Leena, you might check TripAdvisor for vegetarian restaurant recommendations, but I think there are many more options for people who eat dairy products.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-18-2014 at 08:44 AM.

If Lufthansa gave me spicy Indian food, I'd be pretty darn happy I actually called them the other day and they had me down as western vegetarian and I was able to select seats for the flights (although I really only care about the cross-atlantic flight).

Lufthansa is a great airline. I've flown them twice, in coach, in the last few years on vacations. Both times I was treated well. I checked bags so I can't comment on overhead space, but due to their policy of one free checked bag I would imagine it isn't as much of an issue as on some airlines. I remember the food and service being quite good. These were international flights (U.S. to Europe).
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I flew KLM last May and they made me check my TRI-STAR which was my carry on item. I thought I was going to have a seizure. My friends flying on Lufthansa at the same time had no issues. Just beware any airline if you are connecting. It doesn't matter what is "allowed" when your first leg is your smaller plane.
    Just out of curiosity, why did they check it? Weight? KLM has been a great airline and I love the Amsterdam airport. Top two or three in the world IMO. Now that KLM is being Air France'd, I am not sure if they can maintain their standards or be subsumed into the seventh level of the bad place that is Air France. The reason that I ask, I have never had KLM hassle me on a carryon. Usually, I have been on Delta codeshare tickets, but they have bent over backwards for me.

Back on topic, I agree that Lufthansa is really well run and the planes are good if not great. Their seats tend to run narrow and the pitch is tough if you are tall like me, but service is better than average. The comfort level depends on the plane. The main thing to watch out for is the weight of your carry-on bag. Unless they have changed in the past two years, there was a strict 8kg limit which was enforced. Even on a United codeshare, they hassled me even though my bag fit and weighed a pound under.

Good luck to the OP and hope the trip goes great.

Lufthansa has reasonably good cabin service--efficient and no-nonsense. But I prefer not to fly them in coach. The seats in their transatlantic planes are really uncomfortable. Very thin padding, narrow side to side, and tight seat pitch. A Seattle-Germany flight in the back of the plane is torture. If you can upgrade to business class, though, it's really nice. (Happened to me only once...)

I'm a little biased on them because of a nasty experience with them coming back from Europe two years ago. I had just broken my ankle, but I didn't know it. I was told that it was just a severe sprain, so no need to xray it. Anyway, it was horribly painful and swollen and I could not put any weight on it at all. At my first airport stop in Madrid, the airport staff were very helpful and got me a wheelchair. As we were getting onto the plane to Germany to connect to the US, I asked if I could have a wheelchair meet me at the gate and get me through immigration and passport control and to my connecting flight. The purser asked if I had ordered one twentyfour hours in advance and I said I hadn't. So he refused to allow it. Later, once we arrived at the airport in Germany, I went to a gate agent there to meet the plane and the same purser saw me and he took it upon himself to tell her that I had not ordered a wheelchair in advance so I was not 'entitled' to one. I had to drag myself in excruciating pain through that airport--believe me, it was a nightmare. When I finally got on the US leg of the plane, I was a little nervous about asking if I could get a wheelchair to assist me in Seattle. Again, I was told that the policy is that you have to ask for one twenty four hours in advance. Luckily, once I cleared customs, I was able to stop an airport staffer in Seattle to get the chair.

What really bothered me about the whole experience is there was not a hint of any compassion or consideration for my situation. I know, rules are rules, but I would have really appreciated at least a gesture towards sympathy even if they were going to insist on strict enforcement of the rules. (Incidentally, I have been unable to find any such rule on the website!)

Next day I had surgery in Seattle (six breaks in all!) and my surgeon was astounded that I was able to drag myself around, even with a cane, on that leg. I'm still recovering almost two years later.

I did think about writing an email to customer service there expressing my dismay at how I was treated. But then I realized that they'd probably fob me off with a bunch of frequent flyer miles, and I really don't want to fly them again if I can help it.

Even if they do have that delicious lemon soda. ;-)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I like Lufthansa but I have have only flown with them a handful of times, all business class/first class. Transatlantic flights are quite good. The seats are definitely better than the pods you get with United...but the seat layout in my opinion is poor. You don't get as much privacy as you do on other airlines. Flying between countries business class on the continent though is a bit of a joke. Their "business class" is nothing more than a regular seat with a special cloth over it.

Entertainment and service has been pretty comparable to BA in my experience.

I haven't done a coach flight to Europe in several years but BA was always my favorite, superior to Air France and KLM coach.

I am flying coach on ANA SF0--->NRT on Wednesday and I am hoping it will be good.

flitcraft, that's a horrible experience! I don't understand what goes through a person's mind in situations like that. I'm sorry you had to be the brunt of the agent's atrocious behavior, and sounds like your injury may have even been exacerbated by the experience. I hope I don't have an accident while I'm over my trip, or I'll be doomed!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

@flitcraft - That's awful!
    Honestly, I would still, even two years later, write to let them know about your experience. Say that you are not asking for compensation, but that you don't want anyone else to suffer the same treatment.
    If there really is a rule that wheelchairs need to be ordered 24 hours in advance, they might want to change it. People do not always get advance warning that they are going to be injured
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

@Miking I've never tasted "Beverly" but your story made me look up Fresca, which the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. did market in the U.S. as a citrusy, diet soft drink that they continued to carry after they discontinued distribution of Schweppes Bitter Lemon.
    moriond[/QUOTE]

Ah, Fresca and tequilla. Memories of a mis-spent youth.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I just got back from my trip. On our way to Italy, we flew on United (direct) and flew back on Lufthansa (with a stopover in Munich). We flew in economy and I think both trips were fairly comfortable. I fly United a lot and the plane had more room than their domestic flights. I think Lufthansa was slightly more comfortable than the United flight but I only tried to sleep on the United flight. I tried to stay awake on Lufthansa because we were arriving to our home airport at night. I didn't think I needed to get up as much as I do on normal long distance flights but I think it was due to comfort. Now I won't say that economy seats are ever more comfortable than business or first class but they were certainly not bad and certainly better than your average domestic flight. Overall, I enjoyed our trip back on Lufthansa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0