International Cell Phone Solution - Finally!

I may have finally found a solution for a cell phone for international travel. For years I have had to carry two phones - one iPhone with my US SIM card for people who need to reach me from the US and a second unlocked iPhone for local country SIMs that I use for local calls and data.

First, two phones is a hassle and second sometimes I am not in a country long enough to justify buying a SIM card and figuring out the pre-paid data issues.

T-Mobile now has a no-contract, $50/month international data plan for 120+ countries. I am currently traveling in South America and have spoken with a couple of people who are using it and they seem happy with the service.

Hooray!!

Anyone using this plan already? Experiences?

I'm probably picking one up next week. I was warned that at the $50/level, most of the data was 3G and not 4G. Since I'm not streaming video, music or playing games, I said 3g was fine.

Just remember, when out of the country, anyone trying to reach you has to dial U.S. number.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by jppreston View Post

T-Mobile now has a no-contract, $50/month international data plan for 120+ countries. I am currently traveling in South America and have spoken with a couple of people who are using it and they seem happy with the service.

Hooray!!

Anyone using this plan already? Experiences?
    We use it and love it. Mr. Monkeylady works for the company so the service is free on our employee plan. I believe it's free on all T Mobil plans. I love the little texts: t mobil welcomes you to Ecuador, welcomes you to Panama and reviews your service with you. Our biggest adjustment was remembering to make local calls in a local way, not as though we were calling from US.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

jea
    I think that the T-mobile plan is the best option for international travelers, given its approach to data and roaming in general. In addition to the fact that they have smart, treat-your-customer-with-respect policies more broadly. Of the major US cell companies it definitely looks like the best!

I'm holding off getting it for now. I spent time in a T-mobile store talking to a sales rep and was informed that internationally, all data is 2G. I also have to get a new phone. They are expensive here and locked. I can pick one up overseas already unlocked, and cheaper. I'll probably do that first and when I return see what t-mobile is offering at the time.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

The challenge of this is that they claim that this only applies if you primarily use your phone domestically (in the US). I have Verizon for home use because T-Mobile is terrible where I live.
    Does anyone know if:
    (A) there is a good alternative to this for (1-3 times a year) international travel (easier than trying to buy a SIM everywhere, which is a pain since my preferred phone takes the nanosim., and
    (B) T-Mobile enforces the primarily-domestic rule, or I can just pay $50 whenever I'll be traveling?

Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0