Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By flitcraft

Thread: Two products to make travel washing easier

Two products to make travel washing easier

Whenever I am on the road for more than a few days, I sink wash to help me travel light. For a long time, I used the little travel sized individual packets of Woolite for my sink washing, but those little packets do need to be in the 3-1-1 baggie. (Yes, I know you can probably get away with not putting them in there. But if you get a mean/stickler/having a bad day TSO...well, you know the drill.)

I switched to Forever New recently--it is designed for lingerie and comes in a powder. I use it at home for my 'fine washables' and also for my pillow cases. I started to carry a small screw-top container of it while traveling--since it isn't a liquid it doesn't need to be in the liquids and gels baggie. And although it cleans well, it doesn't suds excessively, so it makes rinsing easy. But honestly, it was a bit of a pain in the neck compared to the ease of the 'squeeze it in and discard the packet' Woolite packets. Sometimes I got a bit of water into the jar and the remainder clumped, it was hard to judge the right amount per sink-wash, and sometimes I ended up bringing too little for the trip. So it wasn't a perfect substitute for the convenient (but pretty expensive on a per-use basis) Woolite packets.

Recently I saw that Forever New now sells its product in little packets, too. I was about to pull the trigger and buy when it occurred to me that I could make my own packets up if I spooned the right amount of product into those little zip-lock pill baggies. (If you don't know about them, they're small plastic ziplock bags that are about two inches by two and a half inches--perfect for ten or twenty pills. I always use a few for aleves, immodium, etc. in my travel tray. As I recall they come in packs of 100 for about 3 or 4 bucks. Because they're reusable, I'll probably never have to buy them again!) Now, for a small fraction of the price of buying the made-up packets, I can have my own to take with me, all set with exactly the right amount for a sink wash.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Great tip. I, too, have been using the liquid Woolite packets, only because it's a very decent detergent, although sometimes I have used my Dr. Bonner's bar soap. I'll check into your suggestion.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I use Sea to Summit's "pocket soaps," which are little leaves like rice paper and come in plastic cases about the size of a packet of dental floss. They just dissolve into water and seem to work very well for laundry in the sink (though I wonder whether the shampoo version would be equally satisfactory!).

Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Shor View Post
    I use Sea to Summit's "pocket soaps," which are little leaves like rice paper and come in plastic cases about the size of a packet of dental floss. They just dissolve into water and seem to work very well for laundry in the sink (though I wonder whether the shampoo version would be equally satisfactory!).

Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear
    Cool suggestion!

J.R. Liggett's Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar also works great for laundry (and lasts a really long time)... but these "pocket soap"sheets look like a nice alternative.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

Uh, huh, you're going to carry around dozens of little packets with white powder. And cross borders? This should be fun.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Dozens? Luckily I'm not on the road that much!

My dad used to travel with a jar of baking soda for his heartburn. (He was too cheap to buy Tums, I think.) We used to warn him that one of these days he'd have an awkward encounter at the airport, but he lucked out.

On the other hand, a friend of mine in China had had a baby and I suggested that I bring her something for the baby from the US when I came to visit. (Try to find a baby toy that is not made in China, but that's another topic...) She told me that what she'd really appreciate is US baby formula. They've had some pretty serious problems in China with contaminated baby formula, so I agreed. I had visions of packing my Tristar full of ziplock bags full of white powder....nah, that wasn't going to work, was it? (I did end up shipping a case of baby formula to her from Hong Kong, though...)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

The little soaps from hotels are solid and work great for washing.

I usually open one of them, use it during my stay then bring both back. If more than one person is travelling for some time, it is doubtful that they will be big enough to last, but that is what room service is for.

They are lightweight and most important, solid.

I used Rick Steves Travel Wash (liquid) in my recent trip to Rome/Paris. Yes, the 2oz bottle must go in the 311 bag, but I liked it much better than Woolite. I'm allergic to perfumes & fragrance, but had no trouble with RS. I have some dry laundry soap leaves, but the fragrance is so strong, I couldn't even keep them in the suitcase!

Travel Wash - Rick Steves' Travel Store

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0