Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Solid toiletries

Solid toiletries

Inspired by some of the posts on this forum, I've started buying solid alternatives to the liquids and pastes that take up so much room in my 3-1-1 bag (I wear contacts, so a lens case and travel bottle of solution takes up a lot of my space, and the rest is mostly travel-sized skincare for ladies of a certain age ).

Lush make a lot of solid toiletries, so I've begun there, with:

* Shampoo
    * Deodorant powder
    * Toothpaste
    * Perfume

I tried their shampoo bar (Seanik) on my hair today and the results were pretty good, so that will be going in my Tri-Star! The Toothy Tabs toothpaste tablets seems quite effective too, although some of the flavours are a bit weird. I still have to test the deodorant (have decanted some into a wee travel bottle) and perfume...

Any other suggestions (including other brands)?
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

+1

I swear by J.R. Liggett's Shampoo Bar for travel: it works a treat on hair, face, and clothes, plus it smells great and lasts a very long time.

I recently swapped out mainstream toothpaste for Eco-Dent tooth powder. While I find some of their flavors take some getting used to (i.e. taste borderline repugnant to me), the Cinnamon isn't bad. The powder foams nicely and seems to do a good job.

Also replaced liquid sunblock with The Naked Bee's Vitamin C SPF30 Sunblock Stick, and electric shaver pre-shave liquid with Remington FaceSaver Pre-Shave Stick.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 03-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    scribe likes this.

I make a solid lotion bar to replace liquid lotions. Also use this for chapstick, as well as flyaway hairs. I like the Lush stuff too, but agree on the odd Toothy Tabs flavors. Minimus website has individual packaged items for sale-the packages often take up less room than the smallest container I could buy. They have a lot of things in "wipe" form: deodorant, face lotion, and the like.
    scribe likes this.

I also like the J.R. Liggett's Shampoo Bar too (available from Amazon), and the Minimus.biz site. The Lush products are ridiculously expensive.
    @sturbridge, how do you make a solid lotion bar?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I've been on the quest for solid alternatives too for the past month and a half. Tried the Liggetts shampoo bar for 4 weeks, and even with an ACV (Apple cider vinegar) rinse, my hair will not acclimate to the bar. I just purchased Lush' Big shampoo bar and Big conditioner bar. Love the way both make my hair feel, but the scent on the conditioner is a wee bit too strong. Will use it up, though, and try their Jungle conditioner bar.

I prefer an antiperspirant/deodorant. It's winter and expected to get in the 90s today here in Southern California! I normally use Certain Dri (either solid or roll on) as you only have to use it every 3 days. For travel, they have packets with individual wipes. I will pick up some of these for my next trip.

I have been using Lavishea lotion bars for a few years as a knitter.

I don't wear a lot of make-up. Just mascara and lip stain. I do still use a facial moisturizer with sunscreen. Have not been able to find any type of solid alternative for my face. I also like to use a sunscreen spray for my body. Trying to find some in packets with wipes.

I am also struggling to find regular un-waxed, un-flavored, STRING dental floss! Everything is waxed, mint or cinnamon, or that "Glide" floss that's like thin tape.
    Last edited by Melissa; 03-15-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    scribe likes this.
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

I really like the Lush stuff, for shampoo I use the "new" shampoo bar as well as the "Jungle" and "Big" conditioner bars. PRO-TIP: Do yourself a favor and ditch the slippery dent magnet tins that lush sells and get a package of the medium sized GoTubbs from the makers of the GoToobs. They open easily with one hand and fit most Lush bars perfectly! They also fit Edwin Jagger shaving soaps which I like to use.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  269.9 KB

Out of the Lush toothy tabs I like the "Dirty" flavor the best, it's taste isn't unlike Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste while the others taste a bit soapy to me, I do wish it were a bit mintier though. I find they work the best with an electric toothbrush, with a manual brush they can be a bit gritty. Make sure you keep them in a fairly airtight container, when they bounce around your luggage they can crumble with the baking soda getting everywhere and barring record label executives no one likes all of their personal belongings covered in a fine layer of white powder!

Another good option are the products that come in pre-moistened wipes, I swear by the Cottonelle "fresh care flushable wet wipes" that come in resealable travel packs of 10. One little soggy, lightly scented paper towel can do wonders as far as making you feel like a human again after a few long days of travel.

I normally use whatever solid deodorant I can find in travel size and because I have non-problem skin I rely on whatever soap the hotel has and will use the solid shampoo in a pinch if I have to, I will also use the solid conditioner as lotion in the rare event that my skin is too dry, they say you could use it to shave but I am not that brave. The Lush massage bars also do double duty as a moisturizer and as intended for scoring you points with that special someone.

Lush "Nutts" massage bar
    goes well with
    Bob Marley "Turn Your Lights Down Low"
    Thank me later....

When I am traveling I normally find that daily disposable contacts are easier to deal with than traveling with solution. For some reason my contact solution always comes under scrutiny (not Clear Care or other hydrogen peroxide based solution) always sealed, always under 3oz. always declared and in the 311 bag even though it technically doesn't need to be but it seems without fail it always summons the supervisor to tell the screener that yes, the sealed two ounce bottle (breaking news: two is less than three) of sterile salt water with a picture of an airplane on it is actually allowed past the checkpoint. Meanwhile I have traveled 100% problem free with 200 pairs of disposable contacts sometimes not even taking them out of my bag, go figure...
    Last edited by Miking; 03-15-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Re-posting picture

@miking Thanks for the Lush tips! I've ordered some of the Dirty toothy tabs - I rather like Arm and Hammer, so they should suit me well! I agree that wipes are good (I use cleansing wipes instead of soap), but my skin is a bit fussy about moisturiser hence sticking with a brand that I know works. I don't mind carrying some liquids, but with mascara etc having to go into the 3-1-1, it gets a bit crazy if you don't carry some items as solids.

Unfortunately it's hard to get disposable contacts in my complex prescription, so I'm stuck with gas permeables. Never had any issues with the solution, thankfully, though it's probably the biggest item in my 3-1-1.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

My lotion bar recipe is equal parts shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax, melted together and then poured into a mold while liquid. The shea butter and beeswax I find in small quantities on Etsy, the coconut oil is available at the grocery store.

Miking, after reading your tips I decided to give the Lush products a chance, despite the prices. I was in the mall today and bought a Godiva shampoo bar, as well as the Go Tubbs, which I'd been wanting.

I'll see how it compares to the J.R. Liggett's bar, which I still have most of left.
    ----

I really like Primal Pit Paste. I put some in a small Go Tubb. Works great!
    snowbot likes this.

I, too, try to keep it simple. I use travel sized solid stick deodorant, so no need for the 3-1-1 bag there and some kind of tooth powder which I don't really like the taste of but I'm willing to sacrifice for space in the 3-1-1. For years, I used Dr. Bonner's bath bar; you shave with it, wash your body with it, your hair and your laundry. But I did find it too drying for my hair. So I recently switched to Burt's Bees Baby Bar Soap. If you can wash a baby all over with it, I can too. On my recent trip it worked like a charm. My husband even liked it. At around $4-5 per small bar, you can go through 1-2 easily on a 2 week trip with two users, but it's less expensive than Lush products, and has a lovely mild smell. I don't bring makeup for vacation travels except for a stained lip gloss. For insect repellent, we use Picaridin wipes (available at Amazon). For Sun screen, I either use tiny 1 oz. tubes or empty some into a Go Toob. I also use the tiny Go Toob tubs, one for a small amount of body butter and the others for analgesics. I use a 1 oz. plastic bottle for daily moisturizer with SPF. It all fits easily in my Clear organizer cube used for 3-1-1. Non liquids go into another clear organizer cube.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Miking, after reading your tips I decided to give the Lush products a chance, despite the prices. I was in the mall today and bought a Godiva shampoo bar, as well as the Go Tubbs, which I'd been wanting.
    @bchaplin-

Just wondering how you liked the Lush Godiva bar. It's currently my favorite. I find it less drying than Liggetts or Burt's Bees. It lathers great, even in hard water. I found the scent a little strong at first, but now I find that I really enjoy the jasmine scent.
    Last edited by Melissa; 04-05-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by jppreston View Post
    I really like Primal Pit Paste. I put some in a small Go Tubb. Works great!
    I do the same! And it's the Lavender paste for me.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

@Melissa - I have to admit I have not started using the Godiva bar yet. It was a short trip and I decided to just stick with my familiar liquid shampoo. Will try it in a few weeks when I go away for a bit longer.
    ----

To follow up... the LUSH Godiva bar is great! I have been using it for a week or so now. I didn't like it on my first try, with no conditioner, but after getting the Jungle conditioner bar I am a fan. I may actually prefer these over conventional shampoo, and I will definitely travel with them. As mentioned, they fit great in the GoTubbs. I am wondering about cutting the shampoo and conditioner in half, so they would both fit in one 'Tubb'. Has anyone done this?

I'm also crazy about the soaps. I don't see any difference over regular soaps (and in fact they may dissolve a little faster), but they smell so darn great. The Boston LUSH store is liberal about giving away free samples, so I've been trying a few different kinds.

@aiethabell mentioned in this thread that the Godiva shampoo can melt at high temps. I may test a different flavor for that reason.
    ----

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0