Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Solid toiletries

@sturbridge, where did you source your bar mold? I already have most of those ingredients just lying around my house. A solid lotion bar is genius. Great for traveling and even for every day! I made my own lip balm awhile back, but I'm finding that as the weather warms up, my lip balm is starting to get a little more oily/liquidy. I might have to go with something a bit more solid.

I get molds from various places: chain craft stores, Etsy, Brambleberry or similar candle/cosmetic supply companies as well as silicon molds intended for ice cubes or individual brownies.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I am also struggling to find regular un-waxed, un-flavored, STRING dental floss! Everything is waxed, mint or cinnamon, or that "Glide" floss that's like thin tape.
    My father used to use DMC floss (embroidery floss) for his teeth. It's very soft and doesn't shred easily plus you can choose the number of strands you need. He used it in the pre-tape days because he has big gaps between his teeth and ordinary floss just wasn't thick enough. Of course, now that I think about it, the dyes might not be something you want in your mouth...

On another note, I've found that shampoo matters less than the quality of the water wherever I am. I do travel with a good conditioner and a tiny bottle of argan oil which sometimes I need and sometimes I don't. But then, I also have short hair because the water at my house is so bad I had three hair stylists suggest that I stop coloring my hair at home when I asked what I could do about the dryness and the weird orange tones. None of them believed me when I said I wasn't dying my own hair. A shower filter helped slightly, but I finally just had it chopped off. Anyway, that year-long experiment led to great expenses in hair products plus a stint with baking soda and cider vinegar, culminating in the realization that conditioner is the make-or-break for me. So-J.R. Liggetts for travel and a just-in-case bottle of rich conditioner. Short hair equals less product all around, too!
    Amy likes this.

LA Fresh (available online) makes packeted impregnated wipes (lotion, sunscreen, natural insect repellant, makeup remover, etc.) Being wipes, they don't need to go in the -1-1- baggie.

For moisturizer, eye cream, and makeup samples, don't forget to ask at places like Sephora and high end department stores for sample packets! If you have a Kiehl's in the neighborhood, they are particularly generous with sample packets. They do have to go into the baggie (at least technically, though I've sometimes forgotten them and left them in my travel tray and never been caught out), but they are so slim they don't take up much room. And you can often easily get many uses out of an eyecream sample packet, for example. I just poke a small hole in one corner, squeeze out the drop I plan to use at the moment, then push the remainder to the opposite end of the packet, so it stays nice and moist and tidy.

L'Occitane makes little tins of shea butter--great all-around hand and foot soother--and similar sized solid perfumes. I loved the green tea scented one--sadly discontinued and even more sadly, stolen from me by a purse snatcher at the Sao Paulo airport--but they usually have several to choose from.

I know many of you would probably avoid DEET containing insect repellant, but if you want it, Ben's, Cutters, and OFF make packets of DEET impregnated wipes. (I usually use the 'natural' stuff unless I'm going somewhere where malaria and dengue are a problem.)

Lots of people swear by the soap/shampoo/laundry soap 'leaves' that come in little plastic dispensers. I don't care for them, myself, but they're incredibly light in weight and of course, don't need 3-1-1 treatment. If you do use them, take out the number you will need before you get your hands wet, or they'll stick together in a sodden clump!

And a big 'me, too' to the LUSH shampoo bars. They last forever, so even though they seem expensive, on a per-use basis, they're worth it. Make sure you dry them off before binning them, though, so they don't go mushy.
    Melissa likes this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    LA Fresh (available online) makes packeted impregnated wipes (lotion, sunscreen, natural insect repellant, makeup remover, etc.) Being wipes, they don't need to go in the -1-1- baggie.

For moisturizer, eye cream, and makeup samples, don't forget to ask at places like Sephora and high end department stores for sample packets! If you have a Kiehl's in the neighborhood, they are particularly generous with sample packets. They do have to go into the baggie (at least technically, though I've sometimes forgotten them and left them in my travel tray and never been caught out), but they are so slim they don't take up much room. And you can often easily get many uses out of an eyecream sample packet, for example. I just poke a small hole in one corner, squeeze out the drop I plan to use at the moment, then push the remainder to the opposite end of the packet, so it stays nice and moist and tidy.

L'Occitane makes little tins of shea butter--great all-around hand and foot soother--and similar sized solid perfumes. I loved the green tea scented one--sadly discontinued and even more sadly, stolen from me by a purse snatcher at the Sao Paulo airport--but they usually have several to choose from.

I know many of you would probably avoid DEET containing insect repellant, but if you want it, Ben's, Cutters, and OFF make packets of DEET impregnated wipes. (I usually use the 'natural' stuff unless I'm going somewhere where malaria and dengue are a problem.)

Lots of people swear by the soap/shampoo/laundry soap 'leaves' that come in little plastic dispensers. I don't care for them, myself, but they're incredibly light in weight and of course, don't need 3-1-1 treatment. If you do use them, take out the number you will need before you get your hands wet, or they'll stick together in a sodden clump!

And a big 'me, too' to the LUSH shampoo bars. They last forever, so even though they seem expensive, on a per-use basis, they're worth it. Make sure you dry them off before binning them, though, so they don't go mushy.
    What do you use instead of DEET?

A friend recently turned me onto Picaridin. It is very effective against misquitoes. Canadians and Australians have apparently used it for a long time and it is relatively recent to the US market. We used wipes, available at REI, on our recent trip to Amazonian basin in Ecuador. It was very effective in this malaria/dengue fever zone. It does not harm clothing. Sorry, I have no idea of ingredients, but it's not DEET.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    I really like the Lush stuff, for shampoo I use the "new" shampoo bar as well as the "Jungle" and "Big" conditioner bars. PRO-TIP: Do yourself a favor and ditch the slippery dent magnet tins that lush sells and get a package of the medium sized GoTubbs from the makers of the GoToobs. They open easily with one hand and fit most Lush bars perfectly! They also fit Edwin Jagger shaving soaps which I like to use.

Attachment 5767

Out of the Lush toothy tabs I like the "Dirty" flavor the best, it's taste isn't unlike Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste while the others taste a bit soapy to me, I do wish it were a bit mintier though. I find they work the best with an electric toothbrush, with a manual brush they can be a bit gritty. Make sure you keep them in a fairly airtight container, when they bounce around your luggage they can crumble with the baking soda getting everywhere and barring record label executives no one likes all of their personal belongings covered in a fine layer of white powder!

Another good option are the products that come in pre-moistened wipes, I swear by the Cottonelle "fresh care flushable wet wipes" that come in resealable travel packs of 10. One little soggy, lightly scented paper towel can do wonders as far as making you feel like a human again after a few long days of travel.

I normally use whatever solid deodorant I can find in travel size and because I have non-problem skin I rely on whatever soap the hotel has and will use the solid shampoo in a pinch if I have to, I will also use the solid conditioner as lotion in the rare event that my skin is too dry, they say you could use it to shave but I am not that brave. The Lush massage bars also do double duty as a moisturizer and as intended for scoring you points with that special someone.

Lush "Nutts" massage bar
    goes well with
    Bob Marley "Turn Your Lights Down Low"
    Thank me later....

When I am traveling I normally find that daily disposable contacts are easier to deal with than traveling with solution. For some reason my contact solution always comes under scrutiny (not Clear Care or other hydrogen peroxide based solution) always sealed, always under 3oz. always declared and in the 311 bag even though it technically doesn't need to be but it seems without fail it always summons the supervisor to tell the screener that yes, the sealed two ounce bottle (breaking news: two is less than three) of sterile salt water with a picture of an airplane on it is actually allowed past the checkpoint. Meanwhile I have traveled 100% problem free with 200 pairs of disposable contacts sometimes not even taking them out of my bag, go figure...
    i have trouble figuring the size of the GoToobs pictured, are they quarters or dollar coins sizes?

Or could they fit a Double Carabiner in?

What is the brand of your saline?
    Last edited by backpack; 06-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.

I have used this soap for body and hair, for many years now, along with their facial moisturizer. I have found none better...

Carley's Natural Soap - 4 Bars - $22.99 : Carley♥s Clear and Smooth, Skincare Solutions for Acne, Anti-Aging and more!

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    i have trouble figuring the size of the GoToobs pictured, are they quarters or dollar coins sizes?

Or could they fit a Double Carabiner in?

What is the brand of your saline?

They are shown on top of a side effect if that helps, they are much larger than the ones you normally see, roughly the size of a hockey puck.

I have used several brands, most recently Bausch and Lomb and OPTI-FREE, both getting scrutiny. Just lucky I guess!

I'm a big fan of chagrin valley's products. I take 1/8 bar each of solid shampoo and soap together in a soap box. I also schlep a tin of their calendula salve, which is super versatile and great for dry skin/lips/etc. it's also very soothing for skin irritations and burns (it fixed a really nasty sunburn I got in April right up, even). as much as I like some of the lush products' scents, my sensitive skin just cannot handle them. sooooooo itchy ;/

For moisturizing, oyin handmade makes a really great body balm in a container like solid deodorant is usually found in. I prefer their whipped pudding, but the body balm is great for when you need to limit liquids.

on the perfume tip, pacifica makes a pretty wide variety of scents in solid form and they're quite inexpensive as that sort of thing goes.
    Last edited by capncat; 06-04-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    A friend recently turned me onto Picaridin. It is very effective against misquitoes. Canadians and Australians have apparently used it for a long time and it is relatively recent to the US market. We used wipes, available at REI, on our recent trip to Amazonian basin in Ecuador. It was very effective in this malaria/dengue fever zone. It does not harm clothing. Sorry, I have no idea of ingredients, but it's not DEET.
    I totally concur. I was camping in Big Bend near the river and had forgotten the Off. The only repellent the little store at Castolon had was a ridiculously priced bottle of Natrapel, which I'd never heard of. Beggars can't be choosers so I bought it. Best repellent I've ever used. It kept the mosquitoes and black flies at bay and didn't leave the greasy feeling all over me that Off did. I've tried the natural ones like Burt's Bees and they never seemed to last more than a couple of hours before having to reapply. I now keep a small bottle of it in the Xterra for just in case times.

Here's a nice article comparing DEET to picaridin. Which is the Best Insect Repellent? - AMC Outdoors I'm definitely going to check out picaridin before my next trip to the tropics!

As for other 'natural' repellants like the LA Fresh, I don't know what the active ingredient is (smells citrusy, though) but I do know it isn't terribly effective. Okay for when I am in an area where I'd rather not be bitten but it isn't super-insect-ridden or where the consequences of a bite are likely to be an itchy welt rather than a serious disease.

And to add one more to the kudos for Lush products, their Jungle solid conditioner bar is great for leg-shaving. (Don't know if I'd recommend for face-shaving--one of our non-bearded guys may have to check that one out!)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Just picked up a 2oz container of Uncle Harry's tooth powder at Flight 001. Ingredients include calcium carbonate, sea salt and various oils.

Made in Washington state!

I'd love to hear how you like it!

Super Moderator
    Not solid, but on this front, one product that I know I swear by (and now so does my father, after I pointed it out to him, and we both have sensitive skin, and so do some others ...): Shave Secret shave oil: shaving oil, smooth shave, shaving products, oil for shaving, best shave, shave face

(I find it's cheaper at Wal-Mart than their online prices ... Or maybe the prices have just generally gone up. Lasts so long I don't buy it frequently.)

Tiny container lasts for me -- I shave generally no more than every other day, and even less lately since I've got a slight beard and am just shaving my neck and cheeks -- a few months. When traveling, I'll sometimes fill a tiny perfume sample bottle (1/4 ounce? Less?), which is enough for a few shaves.

Not everyone agrees, but I also like the way it smells.

Esp. when I use the tiny perfume sample vial, it takes up very close to zero room in a bag. If My razor had a hollow handle, I could store the bottle in there ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0