Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocks
  • 1 Post By Trailhiker
  • 1 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By Rocks

Thread: Travel size electric kettle or other ideas for hot water?

Travel size electric kettle or other ideas for hot water?

I like my coffee in the morning but don't like to use hotel room coffee maker. I've taken my 1L electric kettle with me in the past but is too big and cumbersome to pack. What do you guys use to make hot water? I have looked into the small immersion heaters but I am skeptical about their function and safety.

I bought an immersion heater when I was in Italy. It was perfectly safe, very fast, and despite not being able to use it here, my favorite souvenir from my trip! It has a clip that rested on the mouth of my Hydro Flask, so just the metal part came in contact with water, not the cord. Came in a little vinyl pouch, ready for the next trip. I want to go back to Europe just so I can use it again!
    Lani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by raye View Post
    I like my coffee in the morning but don't like to use hotel room coffee maker. I've taken my 1L electric kettle with me in the past but is too big and cumbersome to pack. What do you guys use to make hot water? I have looked into the small immersion heaters but I am skeptical about their function and safety.
    For our last trip I got the immersion heater listed below and it worked just great.
    I got tired of not being able to make tea in the evening and this was just the ticket.
    You do have to be careful to make sure that the water level is just right otherwise u will burn it out.
    I believe it fit in a small TB pouch.

(Safety wise. The worst that could happen is that u will burn out the coil.
    Oh, and don't touch the coil w your finger. :-/

Amazon.com: NORPRO 559 Immersion Heater for Warming Liquids: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 03-11-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    raye likes this.

I, too, have used immersion heaters in the past. (Always remember it has to be immersed in water whenever plugged in or it will short out.)

But I'm thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ssupportgroupf
    raye likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I bought a travel-sized electric kettle, though it's a bit bulky - I don't think I'll be taking it in my Tri-Star!

Lakeland Travel Kettle in kettles at Lakeland
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I have a couple of immersion heaters. Any time I find one with a metal clip instead of the plastic hook type thing I buy it.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

can you use the immersion heaters in a stainless steel mug/cup?

Quote Originally Posted by raye View Post
    can you use the immersion heaters in a stainless steel mug/cup?
    Yes. I used an immersion heater in my stainless Hydro Flask.
    raye likes this.

Bonavita travel electric kettle is awesome and quite compact

Bonavita would require a voltage transformer for overseas use. Severin kettle is dual-voltage and is very small, only con is that it is plastic....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0