Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By flitcraft
  • 1 Post By feijai
  • 2 Post By autolycus

Thread: New Orleans recommendations?

New Orleans recommendations?

Ok fellow forum members, help me out. So this time next Sunday I will be in New Orleans for work. I'm arriving around 10 a.m. Sunday and will have the whole day to myself before I spend a week sitting in a classroom. I'm looking for a really good lunch place, and something cultural in the afternoon. I was thinking of visiting New Orleans city park in the afternoon and checking out the art museum. I'll have a rental car, so I'll be able to get around. Any recommendations? I've been to NOLA before, a while ago, and don't really need to see the touristy side of Bourbon Street since our class will be going there one night.

I used to live in New Orleans once, and still have a soft spot in my heart for the Big Easy. Here are a few ideas: take the St Charles Streetcar out to the Garden District to see the old mansions lining the way. At Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World you can tour the workshop where they build the Mardi Gras floats. Since you will be missing Mardi Gras it'll give you an idea of what it's all about. Another unique New Orleans sight are the old cemeteries with the elaborate above-ground tombs. There are organized tours, which I strongly recommend, both because you will have a better idea of what you're seeing and because the cemeteries have a reputation as not being entirely safe for lone tourists.

Actually, a walking tour of the French Quarter during the day is architecturally really interesting and not at all what you'll see on a Bourbon Street visit at night. I'd recommend that over the art museum. It may be better now, but it wasn't much to go out of your way for when I lived there.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Nuke, I had a really memorable (and boozy) lunch at Galatoire's. It's very old school and maybe not everyone's cup of tea and I was not sure I would like it. However, the crab was amazing and the bread pudding. Dear God, the bread pudding. The other place I wanted to go to (but didn't because it was Holy Week and I could only justify going to 1-2 fancy places post-Easter) is Cochon. They have seafood too but are most famous for pork: boudin noir, pig cheeks, bigger cuts like shoulder and rib, and trotters. The bar also puts out some pretty nice cocktails from what I've heard, and they have local microbrews on tap. For either of these places on a Sunday you will want reservations I think.

PS: if you decide to go to brunch instead, have the brandy milk punch and you can thank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have actually eaten at Galatoire's and do remember it being old school. I also remember enjoying it very much. I will definitely be seeking out a few good cocktails in the afternoon. Oh dear, I apparently have not thought this through - I need to rent a driver and not a car!

Sounds like a great itinerary, nukediver. I did not get to NOMA when I was in New Orleans in December even though it was on my list. However, a huge surprise was how much I enjoyed my time at the National WWII Museum. The Tom Hanks film "Beyond All Boundaries" is terrific, but so are the exhibits. I spent almost 3 hours there and it wasn't enough. And I don't even consider myself as a military history buff.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I know you don't want Bourbon Street suggestions but you are likely to encounter the To Be Continued Brass Band, which plays most nights at the Canal Street entrance to Bourbon Street, and you would be wise to first understand their pretty amazing backstory. This film is a documentary of them. I think this is the trailer.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Ok fellow forum members, help me out. So this time next Sunday I will be in New Orleans for work. I'm arriving around 10 a.m. Sunday and will have the whole day to myself before I spend a week sitting in a classroom. I'm looking for a really good lunch place, and something cultural in the afternoon. I was thinking of visiting New Orleans city park in the afternoon and checking out the art museum. I'll have a rental car, so I'll be able to get around. Any recommendations? I've been to NOLA before, a while ago, and don't really need to see the touristy side of Bourbon Street since our class will be going there one night.
    If you can make Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace, that's still probably the best meal in the city, IMHO. As mentioned also, the Garden District/St. Charles is a beautiful area to drive around and admire houses. And of course the National WW2 Museum is great if you want more learning.
    nukediver and nsh like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0