Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By nukediver

Thread: Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2014 Kindle version on sale today

Volunteer Moderator

Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2014 Kindle version on sale today

Hello All,

From the posts on the Forum, I know a lot of you have Kindles or use the Kindle app on your iOS or Android devices, and also travel. Thought I would post that Europe Through the Back Door 2014 by Rick Steves has dropped in price to $1.99 from $9.50. The ereaderiq site shows this Kindle edition just hit its lowest price today, from a high of $15.49, and that this is the first time it has dropped below $9.50. While I don't usually read these kinds of travel books, and have no relation to any of the Rick Steves products or web sites (other than having used some of his apps), I thought this might be of interest to some forum members. You can download a sample and decide whether this book of travel tips is of interest to you. No idea of the occasion for this price drop or how long it will last, since it doesn't seem to apply to his other travel books.

HTH.

moriond

P.S. The web description states "This ebook and its features are best experienced on iOS or Android devices and the Kindle Fire." There are a few color images and maps, but the main reason it may be more useful on an iOS or Android device are the multiple resource links.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    K9TB likes this.

Got it - thanks!

$13.41 from here ... Gotta love amazons variable pricing ...

I've not used any of the rick steves books ... Seems like a detailed itinerary guy - I'm more open plan then that ... "Hmmm nice day, where will we go next Honey?"
    List under construction ....

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    $13.41 from here ... Gotta love amazons variable pricing ...

I've not used any of the rick steves books ... Seems like a detailed itinerary guy - I'm more open plan then that ... "Hmmm nice day, where will we go next Honey?"
    The pricing of Amazon Kindle deals seems very specific to countries -- there are whole Mobile Reads forums devoted to tracking deals and price drops for specific countries. I certainly wouldn't pay $13.41 for this., but I think it's worth the $1.99 (which incidentally holds for the Canadian Store). A lot of the tips here are what Frank II would call "common sense", and this guide will be of most value to someone who has never traveled abroad extensively before. What's particularly useful is having the links for many local resources conveniently to hand in one place. For example, even if I know that it's worth per-booking tickets to some local events or attractions (as discussed in the recent threads for people traveling to Italy, etc.) i'd still have to search for the relevant web sites.

By the way, this is completely tangential to the topic, but a few weeks ago I read a recommendation from an Australian Kindle user for Graeme Simsion's The Rosie Project (still $1.99 in the U.S. Kindle Store). I tried the sample, and found this to be really funny and poignant. However, since humor is pretty individual, and reading tastes vary a lot, I'm not sure others would enjoy it. I did note that their seem to be a number of fans of "The Big Bang Theory" TV show on the forums, so I'll simply say that if you can't stand the character of Sheldon Cooper, The Risie Project is definitely not for you. End digression.

THank you for posting this! A bargain for two bucks.

25 years ago Rick was the first person who told me that I could vacation in Europe for as long as I wanted with just a carry on bag and I would be happier for it.

Hmmmm what do they put in that Washington water? (RS is from Washington too)

Daisy, I have used a lot of his books and while he certainly suggests itineraries (if you have two days do x, if you have seven days do y) he is very supportive of the open plan method of travel.

For example for a city he will tell you if there is a certain time of year you should make a hotel reservation or if you are fine just showing up and booking for that night. Ditto for those traveling with a train pass, where do you need a reservation vs having the freedom to hop off the train wherever you like.

Got it! Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0