Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: United Airlines to begin strictly enforcing carry-on bag sizes

United Airlines to begin strictly enforcing carry-on bag sizes

Apparently as of March 1, United Airlines is planning to clamp down on oversized carry-on bags. There'll be sizers for carry-ons and for 'personal items' at every gate--you may have seen them over the last few months as they've been installing them.

The sizes are actually smaller than the standard regulations would allow and definitely smaller than would fit in the overheads or under the seats. But, the point is not that United is acting rationally or irrationally, or that it's great news or terrible news. My reason for posting is just to say--watch out! Be sure your favorite combo will still fit as a carry on. If it doesn't fit even in one dimension, they'll force you to check it and charge you for the privilege.

Here are the sizes:

Published carry-on limit: 9"x14"x22"
    Actual sizer dimensions: 10"x15"x23"

Published personal item limit: 9"x10"x17"
    Actual sizer dimensions: 9"x11"x18"

Looks like the Western Flyer will no longer pass as a personal item...(of course, it's fine as the main carry-on).

Lots of people are going to discover that their wheeled carry-on bags aren't going to be allowed on board anymore. I wonder if there will be a rush to buy Aeronauts, Tristars, and Western Flyers next month?
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    I saw a tweet from David Pogue (used to cover Technology items for the NY Times, now at Yahoo) on Wednesday about American Airlines making everyone check rolling bags, but I couldn't find a policy statement about this. Here's the quote and attached picture:

American is making everyone check all rolling bags, no matter how small--even though the bins are totally empty! Grr
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393114683.874378.jpg
Views: 4668
Size:  33.6 KB

Souce: Twitter page

We fly United later in March. Perhaps the mess will be sorted by then, but I don't hold much hope.

Am taking a Synapse 19 for a personal item, rather than an S25. I could underpack the S25 to squash into the sizer, but I'd rather not stress about it. And my son grew much taller this year, so I can't sneak a bigger bag into his legroom space any more!

Before everyone freaks out...chill for a moment. I monitor many FF websites and the only one that has discussions about these United changes is Flyertalk. From what I gather, United is going to get tougher with carry-ons so it can increase revenue and hopefully decrease gate delays. A little secret is that they focus mostly on WHEELED bags. (I was told by one AA gate agent that they don't even bother looking at soft sided, non-wheeled bags unless they have an external frame or are obviously too big.)

As for David Pogue's flight, it was just his flight. AA has not started a policy where all rolling bags will have to be checked. Again, there was no chatter about this on any of the FF websites.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Pogue is most probably flying business class, so he boards before coach.

The two passengers and their bags have most probably taken a one stop flight because it was the most direct flight within their time and budget constraints.
    A flight with a stop is usually cheaper than a non stop one, and much less inconvenient than connecting ones.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-23-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Apparently as of March 1, United Airlines is planning to clamp down on oversized carry-on bags. There'll be sizers for carry-ons and for 'personal items' at every gate--you may have seen them over the last few months as they've been installing them.

The sizes are actually smaller than the standard regulations would allow and definitely smaller than would fit in the overheads or under the seats. But, the point is not that United is acting rationally or irrationally, or that it's great news or terrible news. My reason for posting is just to say--watch out! Be sure your favorite combo will still fit as a carry on. If it doesn't fit even in one dimension, they'll force you to check it and charge you for the privilege.

Here are the sizes:

Looks like the Western Flyer will no longer pass as a personal item...(of course, it's fine as the main carry-on).

Lots of people are going to discover that their wheeled carry-on bags aren't going to be allowed on board anymore. I wonder if there will be a rush to buy Aeronauts, Tristars, and Western Flyers next month?
    Thanks for the link flitcraft, definitely appreciate it. I think someone just posted a picture of a UA luggage cage with the Tri-Star and a Synapse fitting quite nicely with room to spare. I've taken Air China and Chinese Eastern Airlines and they both seem to have zero carry on rules, just an FYI. There just might be a rush on TB bags, more carry-on regulations = more business. :-) Of course, I never have to worry with my TB Tri-Star. The way it's built, I have a feeling it will be with me for a very long time.

I am not sure what the Pogue link has to do with United policy. He was flying a different airline.

For those who fly United, I wouldn't worry. They might make you check your rollerbag if it does not fit into the sizer, but I'd be very surprised if they rejected anyone's personal item that was a reasonable size. If you are taking a roller, keep your essentials (1-2 changes of clothes and toiletries), in a packing cube or backpack inside of the suitcase. If they have you gate-check it, pull out the cube and keep that with you. I learned this the hard way when I wasn't prepared to have a teeny-tiny roller bag taken away from me some years ago before a long international flight.

Personally I try to stay away from airlines that charge people to check a bag. It just encourages people to take their huge suitcases on the plane, and you end up with no space in the overhead bins, even if your bag is within the limits. On the other hand sometimes you have no choice or want to go for the cheapest airfare. I have United miles which I'll have to use up sometime this year, tearing me away from my beloved JetBlue.

Good points, all. I don't want to unnecessarily worry anyone. It's just that for the first time, there are personal item sizers at the United gates, not just main carry-on sizers, so it sounds like they might be serious about policing both items now. My travel agent said she got an email telling her to warn clients that both carry-on items need to be compliant with the rules or they will have to be checked. From her perspective, this is a real problem, since business travelers often have nice leather briefcases or computer rolling bags for their over-sized computers, neither of which will qualify as personal items if they do enforce.

All of the Tom Bihn bags will work as main carry-ons (maybe unless you go crazy packing the Aeronaut so that it can't squish into the sizer!) But some of the bags that you might think could go as personal items aren't within the announced size. For example, the length of the Founder's Briefcase is given on the website here at 17.7 inches, which is over limit. Being soft-sided it ought to squish in, but if it's packed with hard stuff, it might not. The Empire Builder is too big on two of its dimensions, the Cadet, ID, Synapse 19, and Zephyr are all over-sized in one, the Pilot a tiny smidge over-sized in one dimension, and well, you get the idea.

It's possible--maybe even likely--that this is a false alarm and that it will be business as usual on over-sized personal items. But sending out warning emails to travel agents is worrisome that they might really mean it.

So, consider this just a public service announcement and take it with whatever grain of salt you will. For me, I would be sure not to overstuff any personal items that are at or over the limit. If I had a smidge of extra room in my main carry-on (and I usually do) I'd take full advantage of that before getting to the gate, then transfer bits back into my personal item once on board the aircraft.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Here are the sizes:

Here in Canada, It is going to make things even more complicated with different published standards. Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?

For Air Canada, the published sizes are:

Air Canada published carry-on limit: 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in - The issue being that one dimension (15.5 in) is 1.5 in wider compared to United
    Air Canada published personal item limit: 6 in x 13 in x 17 in - The issue being that one dimension (13 in) is 2.0 in wider compared to United

While I am ok with the United carry-on limit as TB Bags follow that and do not use the Domestic Carry-on standard sizes (15.5 in wide) that Air Canada has, I can see the 11" dimension for Personal Carry-on for United being tight for most briefcases. The larger common laptops (e.g 15.6") quite often need bags larger than that to provide adequate protection. However, I usually use a Brain Cell as my Personal Carry on and it is the right size.

All this is one more hassle that makes air travel more and more complicated.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?

Cheers!
    You use whichever standards the gate agent wants to use. (Technically, it's supposed to be the airline you booked but it's really up to the gate agent.)

I wouldn't worry if your personal item is slightly bigger than allowed especially if it doesn't have wheels.

The problem is that many people try to bring on two bags both of which are almost equal in size. They claim one as their "personal" item. When this happens, it adds time to the boarding process and takes up extra space in the overheads when the "personal" item won't fit under the seat in front of them. (I've gone on planes where my seatmate has put her stuff under the seat in front of me because they couldn't fit it anywhere else. Sorry, that's mine and I'm not sharing.) That's why United is making a big deal about knowing "where" the items are supposed to be stored.

The United 'personal item" dimensions are 17 x 10 x 9. My current "personal item" is 15 x 11 x 5 and is soft sided. Do you really think I'm worried or they're going to say to me it's too big? Of course not. It easily fits under the seat in front of me. What they are looking at are the really large soft sided bags and the wheeled computer bags.

So yes, if you've been traveling with an Aeronaut or Tristar and either a Western Flyer or Brain Bag as your personal item, you'll probably have to get a smaller personal item. But let's be serious, you were really taking on two carry-on bags, weren't you?

BTW, American Airlines has had a published 35" limit on the personal item for years, And guess what the dimensions of United's personal item limit add up to?

As for Pogue's flight, there are many reasons why they could have checked all rolling bags. First, we don't know when he says "checked" does he mean luggage carousel checked or gate checked? Was he one of the first to board and took the photo? Was the flight full? delayed? Did the gate agents see a sea of rolling bags and figured it would be faster just to check the rollers so they wouldn't have to delay the flight gate checking all that wouldn't fit? Would doing so help make up for lost time? Remember, a delay on one flight probably means a delay on all that days flights for that aircraft. Airlines hate delays and will do what they can to minimize them. Did you notice he didn't say they also checked non-wheeled bags? They were probably let on.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I am not sure what the Pogue link has to do with United policy. He was flying a different airline.

For those who fly United, I wouldn't worry. They might make you check your rollerbag if it does not fit into the sizer, but I'd be very surprised if they rejected anyone's personal item that was a reasonable size. If you are taking a roller, keep your essentials (1-2 changes of clothes and toiletries), in a packing cube or backpack inside of the suitcase. If they have you gate-check it, pull out the cube and keep that with you. I learned this the hard way when I wasn't prepared to have a teeny-tiny roller bag taken away from me some years ago before a long international flight.

Personally I try to stay away from airlines that charge people to check a bag. It just encourages people to take their huge suitcases on the plane, and you end up with no space in the overhead bins, even if your bag is within the limits. On the other hand sometimes you have no choice or want to go for the cheapest airfare. I have United miles which I'll have to use up sometime this year, tearing me away from my beloved JetBlue.

bchaplin check with your accountant, if it would be cheaper for you to donate miles to a charity like Make a Wish or Angel Wings, which fly patients either to their Wish or to appointments.

Southwest and JetBlue rock!

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Here in Canada, It is going to make things even more complicated with different published standards. Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?
    Actually, this is already a problem with inconsistent standards. For example, I often start my journey on a US carrier with lax carry-on rules, then connect to a European or Pacific carrier with much smaller carry-on allowances. Since I know this in advance, I pack for the most restrictive airline in my itinerary. But if you don't know...it's a real inconvenience for everybody.

I wish all airlines would standardize these policies. It would make boarding less of a mystery tour!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Before everyone freaks out...chill for a moment. I monitor many FF websites and the only one that has discussions about these United changes is Flyertalk. From what I gather, United is going to get tougher with carry-ons so it can increase revenue and hopefully decrease gate delays. A little secret is that they focus mostly on WHEELED bags. (I was told by one AA gate agent that they don't even bother looking at soft sided, non-wheeled bags unless they have an external frame or are obviously too big.)
    websites.
    Well, United is getting ready to do something different in their luggage practices. I recently travelled through Houston and there are brand-spanking new sizers for carry-on and personal luggage at each gate. They have sides on them, so if you have non-wheeled bags that are not overly filled, you can easily squish them in. However, the sides will not be so forgiving with wheeled bags rigid framing. However, the sizers look generously sized to me. I travel with a 20" rollie because I have to/choose to. There are options....no need to freak.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Perhaps a visual is in order,,,,
    :-/
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-24-2014 at 12:35 AM.
    Moose and bchaplin like this.

Banned
    all the more reason to fly southwest...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0