Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 46 to 53 of 53
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: United Airlines to begin strictly enforcing carry-on bag sizes

  1. #46
    Registered User nukediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Metuchen, NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.
    Just flew yesterday on UA: MSY-ORD, then ORD-EWR. On both flights, the FAs announced multiple times that you must put the smaller of your two items under the seat in front of you so there would be space for others in the bins above. I also saw some enforcement of the size policy at the gate. Granted, both flights were overbooked, and some of the bags they were flagging were HUGE, so space was at a premium. I also noticed more than one person board with those tubes that were discussed elsewhere in this thread. They had no problems with those.

    On a different note, the two flights I was on were on brand spankin' new 737-900s that still had that new plane smell. They seemed airier, probably because the placement of the overhead bins was angled, making them a bit higher and harder to access for shorter folks. Also, they had no in-flight anything - no audio or video, but I overheard an FA saying they were eventually going to be fitted out.

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,844
    Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Just flew yesterday on UA: MSY-ORD, then ORD-EWR. On both flights, the FAs announced multiple times that you must put the smaller of your two items under the seat in front of you so there would be space for others in the bins above. I also saw some enforcement of the size policy at the gate. Granted, both flights were overbooked, and some of the bags they were flagging were HUGE, so space was at a premium. I also noticed more than one person board with those tubes that were discussed elsewhere in this thread. They had no problems with those.

    On a different note, the two flights I was on were on brand spankin' new 737-900s that still had that new plane smell. They seemed airier, probably because the placement of the overhead bins was angled, making them a bit higher and harder to access for shorter folks. Also, they had no in-flight anything - no audio or video, but I overheard an FA saying they were eventually going to be fitted out.
    I wish all airlines will just forget about the in-flight audio and video, those stuff have under seat boxes which steal valuable space.
    Instead, they should let us use our portable devices with headphones for entertainment and have some to lend for passengers who don't have them, use a refundable lending fee to make sure no one walks with the device.

    The refundable lending fee could be applied to purchase via the Sky Mall onboard vending. Busy passengers, Ability to make extra revenue=winning situation.
    Hawaii likes this.

  3. #48
    Registered User daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.
    The only times i fly are long haul and then only every few years - I had no idea this was even a thing. Have always just assumed the overhead was for putting stuff in.


    On my last trip to europe i had my ristretto wrenched from my grasp by a FA who insisted it had to be in the overhead for takeoff. I will concede that there was nowhere to put it under a seat as there wasnt one in front of me.

    There was also nowhere for coats/jackets other than the overheads ... No way would i be putting my nice jacket on the floor....
    List under construction ....

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    79
    The last time I flew United was from the U.S. to Europe and back. Abuse of the overhead space was so egregious in both directions that I kind of welcome some light enforcement/passenger re-education.

    Folks were boarding the transatlantic legs with as many as five large bags -- usually an oversized roller plus two to four bulging personal items (plus coats) -- with impunity.

    Since gate agents turned a blind eye, everyone in the last two zones to board (including those of us with only one modestly-sized bag) had to gatecheck.

    That frantic, messy scramble to pull all electronics / meds / breakables / essential documents out of a bag from which you thought you'd never be separated was not a good feeling... but it was a good lesson (and how I wound up at TB).

    Am hoping to make all future trips with only a Western Flyer or an under-packed Tri-Star that can slide under the seat, if necessary.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 03-15-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

  5. #50
    Registered User bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    634
    100% agree, bb93fo57. Yes, enforce the rules, so that everyone can carry on a reasonably-sized bag! It shouldn't matter when/where you board. Whenever I can, I take Lufthansa or Swiss for transatlantic flights, and JetBlue domestically. On those airlines, I've never had to gate-check an item, or had too much trouble fitting them into the overhead. I don't know why it is such an issue with United, whether it is passenger behavior, or because they charge for checked bags.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

  6. #51
    Registered User nukediver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Metuchen, NJ
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I wish all airlines will just forget about the in-flight audio and video, those stuff have under seat boxes which steal valuable space.
    Instead, they should let us use our portable devices with headphones for entertainment and have some to lend for passengers who don't have them, use a refundable lending fee to make sure no one walks with the device.

    The refundable lending fee could be applied to purchase via the Sky Mall onboard vending. Busy passengers, Ability to make extra revenue=winning situation.
    Actually, this is what United plans on doing: United Airlines to launch free inflight video streaming service for iOS devices, laptops

  7. #52
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Badger State
    Posts
    1,595
    According to a family member who flew United from ORD-LGA last week: In Chicago, passengers whose carry-on luggage was obviously too large for the sizers were required to check those items before they were allowed through security. This was at 4:30 am for an early-morning flight. In New York, no one was enforcing the carry-on policies (or seemed to care that she was carrying a full water bottle through security!).

    Inconsistency is part of the joy of traveling, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,844
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    100% agree, bb93fo57. Yes, enforce the rules, so that everyone can carry on a reasonably-sized bag! It shouldn't matter when/where you board. Whenever I can, I take Lufthansa or Swiss for transatlantic flights, and JetBlue domestically. On those airlines, I've never had to gate-check an item, or had too much trouble fitting them into the overhead. I don't know why it is such an issue with United, whether it is passenger behavior, or because they charge for checked bags.

    Most legacy carriers charge for checked bags, they attract travellers by offering bottom price, non refundable seats, to discounters, which are then, overbooked.
    The airlines, then use these sure revenue seats to pay for the fuel they bought in advance of the spike of commodity price right before major holidays.


    Between pick travel times, they build elaborate co-share schemes to move passengers around, add bag fees, lower frequent flyer point values. They also offer a limited number of seat with minimal added room for a higher fee, which they are sure to sell out, when early travellers start to share their overbooking horror stories, at the beginning of the season.



    Most infrequent travellers, do not know how to pack light, they have been sold the rollaboard song on all the shopping channels which have been reinforced by lifestyle articles and programs all over magazines, TV, even the internet.


    Even for somebody who travels more than the average person, changes in regulations, security, the need for paperwork (confirmations of all rentals dwellings and mode of transportation), travel insurance and pet/house sitting arrangements make trips somewhat complicated, overwhelming.

    Even more so when dress code is anything else than casual to relax in remote wilderness areas, when business acquaintances or family members meetings and their associated judgemental attitudes are part of the trip.

    As a plus size woman, who only looks good in a sort of pant suit uniform, I find it even more daunting.



    There are also people who travel for destination weddings where tux and long dresses, most probably, take up one suitcase for each person, then they need semi formal clothes for the rehearsal dinner and the newly wed need honeymoon clothes (presumably to look good in pictures).

    I find it madness but some people do it to imitate celebrities and shorten the guest list.


    All that is part of the humongous luggage overhead glut.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0