Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: United Airlines to begin strictly enforcing carry-on bag sizes

I'd be interested to see if the Synapse 25 or Smart Alec fits into the personal sizer, in real life, in underpacked or overpacked states. I believe the Co-Pilot, Pilot and Synapse 19 wouldn't be a problem.

My guess is that it will depend on exactly what is packed inside. Largish, hard stuff won't squish, obviously, but an overstuffed bag that is densely packed even with softer stuff could also be a problem.

As I got more and more serious (maybe fanatical...I admit it) about efficient packing, I found that my bags were getting heavier and denser simply because I'd worked out how to pack with maximum use of space. Bringing onboard a larger personal item might not be the best time to show off that skill!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I feel your pain, flitcraft - it was a stressful trip with EasyJet (budget UK airline) earlier this month that drove me to TB in the first place!

EasyJet keep their prices down by charging for everything that bigger airlines include as standard (checked-in baggage, in-flight food...) and they don't even allow a "personal item" in addition to your tiny carry-on bag allowance! My husband booked the flights so I wasn't aware of how little you were allowed to carry. On the flight out to Spain I had to squeeze my small shoulder bag into my carry-on, though on the way home the flight was less busy so I got away with the second bag. Still, it was stressful all round, e.g. not being able to buy many souvenirs because it would cost more than their value to check my bag in

I'm flying again with them in April, to Scotland, this time booked by me and fully prepared! I'll be taking my new Tri-Star, carefully underpacked so as to still fit into their 50cm x 40cm x 20cm guaranteed carry-on size, with a SE inside that I can pull out before I stow the TS for flight.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    One advantage of EasyJet over most European budget carriers is that they have no weight limit so skilful packing can easily see you carry the full 15Kg that their checked bags allow, but without paying 40 quid or so!

The good news in Europe is that RyanAir (the biggest budget carrier - an an excellent one in my book) now allow a small personal item. This is great news as whilst I love carrying just my Aeronaut, when I get on the plane, I hate fighting to retrieve my Kindle/iPod/wallet/headphones etc., so I'm very glad to be able to carry my iPad Ristretto as well :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    One advantage of EasyJet over most European budget carriers is that they have no weight limit so skilful packing can easily see you carry the full 15Kg that their checked bags allow, but without paying 40 quid or so!
    Alas I'm only 5'2" and not exactly athletic, so I don't think I could carry a 15kg Tri-Star very far! I'd also struggle to get it into an overhead locker, which is another of their stipulations.

Generally I avoid budget airlines like the plague, and in any case take the train for most UK trips, but (relative) convenience won out in this case
    Collections:
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Fly the friendly skies! (if your bag fits)
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 899
Size:  3.8 KB

I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.

EasyJet is the same - I had to go to a member of cabin crew to get my carryon in the overhead bin, because it was stuffed full of other people's winter coats. Meanwhile my husband had to check his little rollaboard suitcase in, because he was also carrying a satchel - that easily fitted under the seat.
    Collections:

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    EasyJet is the same - I had to go to a member of cabin crew to get my carryon in the overhead bin, because it was stuffed full of other people's winter coats. Meanwhile my husband had to check his little rollaboard suitcase in, because he was also carrying a satchel - that easily fitted under the seat.
    How many airlines do enforce putting carry-on items only in the overhead, and personal items below the seat in front? I usually fly with the Tri-Star as my carry-on bag and the Synapse 19 as my personal item. (Thanks to Darcy for posting the link to the blog post about bag combinations that fit the United sizers, since one of the first things I did when this thread started was to check the specs Of those bags.). A few years ago, I was flying on American out of DCA (Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC), which is one of the locations where people are really bad about the size and amount of carryon baggage. My Tri-Star went into the overhead standing upright and with the long dimension along the depth of the overhead compartment -- exactly the minimum profile that the airlines look for in filling the overhead storage with optimum efficiency. My Synapse went under the seat ahead of me. While I was seated and waiting for boarding to complete, I saw people trying to rearrange the overhead storage in order to squeeze in their carryon items. My Tri-Star got moved to other overhead locations 4 times in this process. Now, it wasn't that there was any way the Tri-Star was going to occupy any less space, so why was this being shifted so much? For the simple reason that anyone who was trying to rearrange the upper storage space (mostly to get "more" space for their items by moving other bags) looked at this bag and said "right, this bag can go anywhere and is easy to shift". It struck me then that was an unexpected disadvantage of the easy storability of the Tri-Star in overhead -- everyone else recognized this, too, and was shifting this bag around like crazy as part of the mad tiling exercise of trying to find more overhead storage for their bags.
    Last edited by moriond; 02-26-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Correcting typos

Interesting - I shall make sure to keep an eye on my Tri-Star during boarding, as I'll be travelling alone on my next couple of flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    While I was seated and waiting for boarding to complete, I saw people trying to rearrange the overhead storage in order to squeeze in their carryon items. My Tri-Star got moved to other overhead locations 4 times in this process. .
    You are a nicer person than I am! If someone touches my bag I start yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    A few years ago, I was flying on American out of DCA (Regan National Airport in Washington, DC), which is one of the locations where people are really bad about the size and amount of carryon baggage.
    YES! I've flown in and out of DCA three times in the past two months (and I'm flying into IAD in a couple of weeks). I've never seen so many passengers who feel entitled to put three carry-ons and a coat in the overhead bin.

Flew out of SeaTac yesterday. Bags being checked at my gate, but the next gate over, I didn't hear any announcements at all other than the usual "if you're in boarding group 4 or 5, you should probably check your rollaboard now, because there won't be room for all the bags."

I wonder why they chose to clamp down on bags now. If they waited a month or so, there wouldn't be as many coats going up top, so that it would be easier to show passengers how much more room there is in the overheads without the oversized rollies.

Will report back on Monday about my return flight...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

flitcraft - were they checking all rollers, or just the ones that didn't fit the sizers?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0