Anybody check for bedbugs lately? (HuffPost article on travel)

"Eight Things You Should Do Before Anything Else in Your Hotel Room"

Eight Things You Should Do Before Anything Else in Your Hotel Room | SmarterTravel
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Good advice MtnMan

In addition to checking the hotel bed, my wife also suggested using ziplock bags to bag clothes to prevent them from "hitchhiking" on you. These critters like to hide in small crevices - even in the folds of clothing and luggage. Before the trip, I pack my clean clothes / electronic accessories in ziplock bags and put them in packing cubes and then in my bag. I bring extra Ziplock bags to put the used clothes in afterwards during the trip. This has the added side benefit of keeping me more organized as well!

I also try to "live out of" my bags (for me an Aeronaut or Brain Bag or hardcase roller) where I can. I leave my clothes in my bag and put it on the fold-up valet furniture (I think that is what it is called) after checking it for bugs. I also put it and my luggage away from the bed (sometimes in the bathroom). The TB luggage is very easy to "live out of" as they are designed for easy access to anything in the bag.

If I find possible signs of bedbugs, I immediately ask for another room (luckily, I have never found bedbugs where I have stayed). I am told the management is usually very accomodating as they do not want the bad press/advertising.

When I return, I put all my clothes immediately (clean or not) in the dryer for at least 60 minutes. I do the same for my luggage (make sure they are dry to prevent damage / shrinkage). Bedbugs are known to die within a minute at 120 degrees F. The dryer should get up to that temperature easily. This should prevent any "hitchhikers" from entering your home.

Since the elimination of pesticide use to kill these bugs, they are becoming a huge problem again and spread a lot through people travelling.
    Good to take precautions.
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-28-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

For those of us concerned about such matters (sorry I cannot post links right now) you might want to see the threads titled motel room cleanliness and while not exactly on topic under seat bag storage. Both are somewhat amusing in places and informative. They may also turn out to be waaay more information than you wanted.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I don't know if any of you have actually ever had bedbugs in a hotel room... They are repugnant!!! We had rented a pretty, not-cheap, hotel rooms walking in while on a road trip to Miami, FL. We were happy about the room and seeing as how it was rather fancy, and pricey, we had ot nothered: MISTAKE. And between me and my hubby, who attracts bitting bugs?!? Guess... I wole up in the middle of the night after feeling something move in my hair, I was half asleep and barely noticed, but I scratched my head and felt something wiggle between my fingers... :S Let me just tell you how I FREAKED!!!! I had been bitten like, no joke, at least 25 times all over my back and my hubby: ZERO!!!! We went downstairs to the reception and brought a little monster with us, the lady freaked too but she wasn'T the one who had actually shared a bed with them!! PLUS, I had to parade around my bikini, for our whole vacations since this happened at the begining, with an acnee-like back-shoulders-arms, it was so gross... They ended up changing our room and reimbursing our night and we will never go back there!!!! Arrgh!!!!
    So anyone reading, DO check the beds before closing your eyes cause if you wake-up beside 'em, you won't feel fresh in the morning!!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0