I'm Going to New Mexico

Hi Eveybody,
    I just made last minute plans to visit New Mexico for a week. I will probably be staying in Santa Fe, but that hasn't been decided for see yet. Does anyone have any not-to-miss sites or activities to recommend?
    Thank you!

You must eat at Tomasitas near the train station. Some of the best New Mexican cuisine around.

A walk around the square to buy jewelry directly from Native American craftsmen is always high on my list.

You can take the train down to Albuquerque and the tram to the top of the Sandia mountains yields some spectacular views.

+1 what Jeffmac said. I'd add that Maria's is worth visiting, as well. And be sure to travel north to Taos -- or at least Taos-ward, for the landscape. Speaking of landscape, on the way to Albuquerque is Tent Rocks, which is pretty amazing.

Remember that Santa Fe is at 7200 ft above sea level, so a puzzling shortness of breath may sneak up on you at first.

If you can, visit Bandelier National Monument. It's a beautiful area. I visited there when I traveled to New Mexico when I was back in college. I was a fine arts major and taking a photography class at the time and got some real nice Ansel Adams like photographs of the landscapes and rock formations there.

I love the museums in Sante Fe. They may still have their museum pass that allows you to visit all of them in one low price. I also echo that Bandelier national Monument is a great place.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Definitely the North rail yard in the historic Guadalupe District.
    Some of the newer, less touristy galleries are in that area, as well as a old established ceramics studio that offers workshops.

Links,

Our Neighbors Santa Fe Railyard

Studio | Santa Fe Clay

Contact | Santa Fe Clay. (Click on video)

Ate at The Shed (off the Plaza) last year - it was terrific. Ask for "Christmas on the side" (red and green chile). They roast and grind their own chiles on the roof.

Enjoyed the New Mexico History Museum. If you visit the Palace Press there, say hi to Tom Leach--he printed our wedding invitations 20 years ago on an antique press. New Mexico History Museum :: Santa Fe, New Mexico The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque is wonderful. My boys liked the frybread for lunch. Welcome to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center

Jackalope is fun, and maybe see if the forge is casting in Tesuque on Saturday?

Sorry it's taken me this long to respond. Thank you everybody for the recommendations. I've worked some of them into my itinerary including the Tent Rocks, Taos, and Bandelier and I hope to eat at Tomasitas. Merry Christmas!

Tomasitas... Xmas roast beef burrito; Tecolote or Tia Sophias... breakfast; The Shed's cheese enchiladas with red Chile.

If you drive two hours from Santa Fe to the SW, you arrive at Socorro. About 50 more miles west, there's a very interesting place. The VLA = Very Large Array.

NRAO Very Large Array

It's an amazing place if you are into astronomy or science in general.

Also one cannot forget the UFO museum in Roswell and the wondrous Carlsbad Caverns!

And Madrid, where they filmed "Wild Hogs"

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0