Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: All Inclusive List of Tips for Ultralight Packing

A zippered pillowcase: it can be used as a pillow stuffed with plastic bags (to hold dirty laundry in between hand wash) or maybe a couple of shop bags.
    It is great to house delicate laundry such as knit if it needs to be washed in one of those washers with steel drums with rough sides. I had one of those in a hotel, I once stayed in, for quite some time, the sides were so rough, I had to buy a couple of extra zippered pillowcases, at the local big box store, across the street.
    It can be used as extra padding for purchases.

On a subject of laundry and padding: one small and one large zippered mesh bag to wash delicates such as Skookum Dog toys and leashes and ladies anti-gravity foundation garments.

A couple of Microfiber cleaning clothes like the ones sold at Trader Joes in the U.S which is part of the German grocery chain Aldi which might sell them too (sans logo but cheaper). Good for a lot of things, especially extra padding for stuff.

Japanese Microfiber hair towels are the best, the ones at Sephora are very efficient but heavy. I found a lighter one from Scunci, an hair accessories drug store brand.

After seeing a couple of Hotel Impossible episodes and reading some other hotel reviews, I will also bring my own washclothes.

And some alcohol wipes.

Just received my first Salux cloth last week. The first time I used it I thought it was kinda like using a nylon bath puffy scrubber, but after the 2nd and 3rd wash, WOW! I can really feel the difference! This cloth is definitely going into my must pack list!!! Thanks!!!
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Just received my first Salux cloth last week. The first time I used it I thought it was kinda like using a nylon bath puffy scrubber, but after the 2nd and 3rd wash, WOW! I can really feel the difference! This cloth is definitely going into my must pack list!!! Thanks!!!
    Melissa,

Ditto here, I just received my three pack last week,
    Amazon.com: Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloth/towel (3) Blue: Beauty

And love them! No need to pack my back scrubbing brush anymore for trips.
    And they dry fast as well.

Thanxxxxxxxx as well!

On a side note - I feel like there is a long bungee cord that tethers me to this forum via my ipad.
    I can't seem to get too far from here.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Japanese Microfiber hair towels are the best, the ones at Sephora are very efficient but heavy. I found a lighter one from Scunci, an hair accessories drug store brand.
    I use Rick Steves' travel towel for hair. My usual Aquus is too bulky. This is a good compromise. Soaks up a lot of water and dries quickly. The bright color doesn't get mixed up with hotel laundry (or get left behind), and I love the size. It can stand in as a body towel in an emergency, such as when your hotel in Kampala "forgets" to stock towels. I roll mine up in a baggie for packing.

Micronet Travel Towel - Rick Steves' Travel Store
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 02-18-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: English major - can't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    I can't remember where I saw it on this forum a couple of years ago, but someone recommended SkinVac for the microfiber face cloth mentioned above. It's fabulous! I don't have to bring facial cleanser since it's meant to work only with warm water, and it doesn't harm my super dry, sensitive skin. Here's the link:Skinvac - Acne Prevention Pore Unclogging, Facial Cleansing and Exfoliation.

Thanks for all the tips!
    I don't remember if I ever posted about them by name, but the SkinVac pore cloths are what I use too. Love those things!!!

Salux cloths
    On this note, I lived in Japan for more than 5 years and can say that these nylon long wash things are used by most people there, and I started using them then as well. I travel to Japan often and usually pick up 4 or 5 whenever I am back, I use them regularly, and always travel with them. They dry super fast, get you feeling super clean, and are light! Love em.

Loved the other tips here! I'm especially curious about the tooth powder and laundry bar soap recommendations. Going to have to start getting into that. Wondering which ran tooth powder to try... Not going to make my own, not that hardcore!

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Wondering which ran tooth powder to try... Not going to make my own, not that hardcore!
    Some Indian grocery stores carry tooth powder. I've also heard baking soda can be used but don't have a recipe (but you're not looking to make your own). There's some stuff online about how tooth powders can be abrasive, but I would think occasional use may be OK.

Here's my recipe for Pangie's Tooth Powder, for those who may be interested:

4tsp Bentonite Clay
    2tsp Kaolin Clay
    1.5tsp Baking Soda
    4.5tsp Calcium/Magnesium Powder
    0.5tsp Cinnamon Bark Powder
    0.5tsp Ground Clove Buds
    5 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
    5 drops Clove Bud Essential Oil
    0.5tsp Ground Neem
    5 drops Myrrh Essential Oil

Mix well, and store in a jar. I keep my supply at home in a 4 ounce jar with a tiny metal scoop, and I keep my travel supply in a 1/2 ounce bottle. Either way, I put a little bit (like a pinch or so) into a small squishy shot glass and dip the wet tooth brush into that. My teeth have never felt cleaner, and my dentist has commented that everything looks great! I rinse out the shot glass and then use it for the sea salt + warm water used for post-floss rinsing.
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

May I ask where you source all those ingredients? I'm interested in trying out your recipe!

The weird ingredients (the clays, neem, and essential oils) I got at this local place in Boulder called Rebecca's Herbal Apothecary. I don't know what to recommend outside of Boulder, but I would check some sort of herbal / natural / hippie type store.

I also got my clove and cinnamon there, though I would guess that it'd work if you used the stuff in the spice aisle at the grocery store as well. (I strongly recommend organic for this.)

Baking soda is baking soda, and my cal/mag is this stuff: All One Calcium Complex 8.5 oz Pwdr - Swanson Health Products (which is also what I use in my shakes)

And just a couple of notes:
    I'm planning on adding 1T myrrh gum resin powder the next time I make this. Rebecca's was out of it when I first made this, so I just skipped it.
    Many recipes I found online when researching what to put in mine use some sort of natural-ish artificial sweetener, like xylitol or stevia. I don't like these, so I skipped them. I like the taste, but it may be an acquired taste.
    Also: This stuff lasts a super long time since you use so little. I made my first batch around Christmas and I'm maaaaybe 1/3 through it.
    Oh, and it's brown. It'll look rather like you're spitting out dirt.

I always pack a pestemal - a lightweight Turkish bath towel. I use it to dry my hair (long and curly), as a bath towel, a beach towel, a sarong, as a light wrap, etc. Also comes in handy as a privacy screen, a sun screen, curtain, etc. It folds up super small, squishes down in the corner of a bag, washes in a sink or shower, and dries quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangifone View Post
    Here's my recipe for Pangie's Tooth Powder
    The first two ingredients made me laugh as we probably have 50lb bags of each in our garage (maybe not so much bentonite). If you know any potters who mix their own clay or glazes, ask them for a bit - they'll have it on hand. A clay supply store will also have it and might even sell it by the pound.

I'm intrigued by this recipe. I'm not sure yet if I'm intrigued enough to try it, but I do hate that most toothpastes have sweeteners. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    The first two ingredients made me laugh as we probably have 50lb bags of each in our garage
    I read that far and went all wide eyed, "That's WAY more than a lifetime supply of tooth powder!! Whhy would you ever buy that much?" Before continuing reading with the realization of, "Right... other uses..."

Recently I've been taking these Velcro One-Wrap® Ties strips almost everywhere. You can buy them in either pre-cut lengths or roll form. Seems like they offer colored options too (I bought a 50 pack at Lowes, half of which were grey and the others black).

Possibilities/uses are endless and they are reusable as well!

Quote Originally Posted by nathant4 View Post
    Recently I've been taking these Velcro One-Wrap® Ties strips almost everywhere. You can buy them in either pre-cut lengths or roll form. Seems like they offer colored options too (I bought a 50 pack at Lowes, half of which were grey and the others black).

Possibilities/uses are endless and they are reusable as well!
    I love those things! I've only seen the 10 packs, but have probably bought 5 of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0