Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: All Inclusive List of Tips for Ultralight Packing

Soft Star Shoes

I have a pair of the Merry Janes and now a pair of the Ballerine Flats offered from Soft Star Shoes. They are a completely different animal than European shoes in that the shoe doesn't provide support or contour to your foot, just a thin protective barrier from the ground. They are barefoot shoes. I have been wearing mine more and more and have decided I have little to no use for my Birkenstocks or Danskos anymore. I'm planning to add a DIY pair of Merry Janes and a pair of Run A Moc Dash or Ramblers to my shoe family very soon.
    eta, I really am enjoying this thread.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Here's my list -- mostly "wear wool", "hoard tiny containers", and "saw things in half":

• As others have said -- merino wool T-shirts.
    • As others have said -- a big fine-weave cashmere shawl. Can be used as a scarf, hood, shawl, or blanket.
    • I usually bring a bright sarong in warm weather. Can be used as a beach towel, long skirt, short skirt, coverup, scarf, or sash.
    • Little lip balm squeezie tubes for creams/lotions.
    • Tiny (3cc) dropper bottles for things I only bring a little of, like makeup-remover oil and powder deodorant. About $.80 on eBay -- I think they are meant for people who do the eCig thing.
    • I've melted solid deodorant into old chapstick tubes for travel before. DIY cosmetics places now sell oval lip balm tubes that would likely work even better.
    • Solid shampoo bars vs. bottles of liquid shampoo. A full bar lasts me several months at home, so I don't take much with me on trips.
    • Razor handles are bulky, so I cut mine in half with a saw and filed it down. I keep the razor head and handle in a small plastic box with my shampoo bar so that the head and attachment mechanism are protected. The blades get a little rusty after a while, so I may add some kind of solid shaving oil bar I can stick the razor head into.
    • I use my normal Radius "Source" toothbrush for travel. The head detaches as it's meant to be replaceable, so I can pack it in a little suction-cup toothbrush holder separate from the handle if I want. The normal handles are bulky, so mine got sawed and filed down like the razor handle.
    • Small microfiber face cloth instead of liquid face wash -- I use a suction-cup hook from the hardware store (the ones they sell for hanging Christmas lights on glass) to stick this to my mirror at home and away.
    • Wool Buff -- I love this thing. On my last trip I used it as a hat, neckwarmer, balaclava, headband, pirate headscarf (Halloween party), and ponytail holder. I can even manage a sloppy sock bun if I twist it in half and roll it.
    • Short MicroUSB/iPod cables vs. the full-sized ones. I've had retractable ones but they never seem to last more than a few months, whereas I've been using these short cables for years.
    • I got this tiny cute smartphone-holder/tripod to prop up my smartphone for use with a BT keyboard. The tripod part can be unscrewed and attached to a small camera, and was the only reason I got decent Northern Lights photos on my last trip.
    • I have used Salux nylon washcloths basically since birth. They are great for showering (and mean never buying/packing body scrub), but also work well for washing up in a sink when you don't have access to a shower. I cut mine in half lengthwise so that it packs down to nothing.
    • For laundry, I use Charlie's Soap powder in a little flip-top bottle. A small scoop of this will wash an entire large load of laundry at home, so I don't need much for trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    I've melted solid deodorant into old chapstick tubes for travel before. DIY cosmetics places now sell oval lip balm tubes that would likely work even better.
    Wow! How do you do this? That would save a lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Wow! How do you do this? That would save a lot of space.
    It was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure I just cut a little bit into a container and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt.

Thanks, everyone, for the great tips! I am planning my first one-bag trip in mid-December (a week in New Orleans) and have found this thread incredibly helpful. And thanks to Ms Ferret, I just purchased some Salux wash cloths. Cannot wait to try them!

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the great tips! I am planning my first one-bag trip in mid-December (a week in New Orleans) and have found this thread incredibly helpful. And thanks to Ms Ferret, I just purchased some Salux wash cloths. Cannot wait to try them!
    I hope you like the Salux cloths! They'll seem rough if you're not used to exfoliating in the shower, but I can't feel clean if I use anything else (washcloths, body poufs, loofahs, brushes, etc.), and they are much smaller and faster-drying than normal washcloths. They do come in different grades, so if you see the gray or white "Super Hard" packages maybe don't start with those.
    Washu likes this.

I hope you like the Salux cloths! They'll seem rough if you're not used to exfoliating in the shower, but I can't feel clean if I use anything else (washcloths, body poufs, loofahs, brushes, etc.), and they are much smaller and faster-drying than normal washcloths. They do come in different grades, so if you see the gray or white "Super Hard" packages maybe don't start with those.
    Ms Ferret, after two months, I can say with certainty that I never want to shower without a Salux cloth! The difference in my skin is noticeable -- a LOT softer and smoother. I have stocked up on them just in case : ). Thanks again for the tip.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Ms Ferret, after two months, I can say with certainty that I never want to shower without a Salux cloth! The difference in my skin is noticeable -- a LOT softer and smoother. I have stocked up on them just in case : ). Thanks again for the tip.
    I think Lani was the big promoter of Salux wash cloths in her What is the *ONE* Unusual Item You Always Travel With? thread.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think Lani was the big promoter of Salux wash cloths in her What is the *ONE* Unusual Item You Always Travel With? thread.
    Thanks, moriond, for the link. Seems like Lani DID start the Salux craze on the Forum during the pre-TB period of my life. That "ONE Unusual Item" thread is hilarious.
    -- David Whyte

So glad you like them! The bad news is that now you will have to travel with one basically forever. The good news is that they still work pretty well if you cut them in half lengthwise.

If you've stocked up you may actually have a lifetime supply, as one towel is usable for a really, really long time (my mom has always used these until they no longer contain color, but I don't go that far).

So glad you like them! The bad news is that now you will have to travel with one basically forever. The good news is that they still work pretty well if you cut them in half lengthwise.

If you've stocked up you may actually have a lifetime supply, as one towel is usable for a really, really long time (my mom has always used these until they no longer contain color, but I don't go that far).
    Ms Ferret, I do intend to travel (and stay home) with one forever! Btw I did cut one in half and had two problems. One is that it is no longer long enough for me to hold the ends in each hand and scrub back and forth on my back (sigh...just the thought and I want to get back into the shower!). And the other was that the cut side of the cloth started to unthread and unravel. Did this happen to you? How did you deal with the unraveling end?
    -- David Whyte

Ms Ferret, I do intend to travel (and stay home) with one forever! Btw I did cut one in half and had two problems. One is that it is no longer long enough for me to hold the ends in each hand and scrub back and forth on my back (sigh...just the thought and I want to get back into the shower!). And the other was that the cut side of the cloth started to unthread and unravel. Did this happen to you? How did you deal with the unraveling end?
    Cut it in half the other way -- lengthwise, not crosswise.

Cut it in half the other way -- lengthwise, not crosswise.
    I just had a "Duh!" Moment : ). Thanks, Ms Ferret!
    -- David Whyte

Generally, if you don't use something on a trip, but can buy it reasonably cheaply and easily locally, don't take it next time. That umbrella you've never used, for example.

Also, it helps - if you list your travel stuff - to * or otherwise mark the real essentials (stuff you really need) and + your comfort or luxury items that you don't actually "need" but feel really lost or yucky without.

It can open your eyes. I can live without toothpaste the night I arrive, but can't live without floss. I could even live without a toothbrush, if I have a small wash cloth to rub off my teeth, but I can't live without floss. I wear eyeglasses so a pair is essential, but I am so used to the peripheral vision provided by contacts, that I make sure I take them too.

* essentials need to be in carryon.
    + luxury items can be in carryon or checked luggage.

There is a final category that should be in your pockets or in a neck pouch etc. - on your person at all times - in case of plane crash or ground vehicle crash - heart medicine, diabetic medicine, etc. falls into this category. As does money, in smaller denominations, but enough of it. And these days I would say GSM SIM carded smartphone with compatible bands for local internet access. At first WiFi will get you going, but purchasing a local SIM card is a great option for many destinations these days. And your passport. The number of travelers who leave their passport behind when they get dazed and confused by long flights and time zone changes - with their passport inside - is really sad.

I can't remember where I saw it on this forum a couple of years ago, but someone recommended SkinVac for the microfiber face cloth mentioned above. It's fabulous! I don't have to bring facial cleanser since it's meant to work only with warm water, and it doesn't harm my super dry, sensitive skin. Here's the link:Skinvac - Acne Prevention Pore Unclogging, Facial Cleansing and Exfoliation.

Thanks for all the tips!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0